post #1 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Best Exhibit at CES: The Ultimate Home Theater
By Lisa Montgomery
A comfortable seat and killer picture is hard to resist after a long day of prowling CES.

There are two things I crave at the end of a long, hard day at working the Consumer Electronics Show: a comfortable seat and a good laugh.

I can thank DPI, D-Box, and Kaleidescape for ending my second day at the show on such a great note. This trio of companies collaborated on home theater demonstration that knocked my socks off, but without any of the pushing, shoving, walking, standing and waiting that pretty much characterized my overall CES experience this year.

Products showcased in the demo were DPI's 3-chip Titan Reference 1080p 3D projector, D-Box's motion-encoded seating and Kaleidescape's newest media server, the 1U and M700 Disc Vault. Products from ADA (audio processors), CinemaTech (the seats), Crestron (control), Stewart Filmscreen (14-foot display) and Totem Acoustic (speakers) also played a part.

To give the audience a good sense of what this particular setup could do, we viewed 1-2 minute clips from four very different movies. All four, as well as a slew of other choices, were stored on the hard drive of the Kaleidescape server.

Click here to continue.

Click here for photos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It looks like they forgot sound. Those speakers look pathetic next to that screen. My room is not ultimate and will way out perform those.

Ta Dono
post #3 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Not really familiar with Totem as I've never done a listen to them but the center does seem a bit undersized for that size a room. The fronts seem fine though. Still like most demos these days it seems video is often focused on at the detriment of good sound. Still, I bet it was impressive. I don't agree with the term "ultimate" for it though but I'm sure it was just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-26-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What, not 4K? That is going to be my next TV.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

It looks like they forgot sound. Those speakers look pathetic next to that screen. My room is not ultimate and will way out perform those.

Ta Dono

Are you sure ???
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Looks like a great setup to me boys! Top notch brands used. Could have went with a bigger sound system

JBL Pro Cinema
post #7 of 7 Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post

Ta Dono

lol...Seriously...your worried about the way the speakers look....Totem speakers have an awesome sound...which I think was the point of tricking out this demo theater...the dbox with Totem speakers would have been an awesome demo sound wise...!

Near as I can tell that demo was not missing anything...except maybe as pointed out above 4K video...

Cheers,

Requis
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page