post #1 of 15 Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
iPad 3 Predictions: 7 Must-Have Features
By Rachel Cericola
With Apple's iPad 3 event looming, we take a peak at what could be (and should be) in the new iPad.

Apple recently sent out an invite for an upcoming press event on March 7. Within seconds, the web was buzzing with assumptions about a new and improved iPad.

Would it have a better processor? Better camera capabilities? The ability to shoot fire?

While the latter may sound cool, it's probably safe to say that's not going to happen.

That said, there are plenty of rumors circulating. While all should be answered at the press event, here's a look at some of the more plausible predictions for the iPad 3.

Click here to continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The best feature? The Apple patented "9-Month Obsoletness"!
post #3 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Face View Post

The best feature? The Apple patented "9-Month Obsoletness"!

Very true, but you can say that about any computer/tech product. One thing you can't say about most non-apple products is how they retain their value, the Apple patented "9-Month value retention " makes reselling their products then upgrading a no brainer, and well worth it!

PSN: futurecode
post #4 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Apple stuff are like the BMW's of the computer world. Incremental upgrades, high (inflated) prices, and a blind following. They can make a toaster MAGICAL! And it will make enough profit to make Uganda's GDP drop another trillion. Keep buying that Apple crack
post #5 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Apple stuff are like the BMW's of the computer world. Incremental upgrades, high (inflated) prices, and a blind following. They can make a toaster MAGICAL! And it will make enough profit to make Uganda's GDP drop another trillion. Keep buying that Apple crack

Their app store, which IMHO is the most important quality of Apple's product line, is still the best in the business.

I will give you that you pay a premium for their products, but I think it is worth it given their overall user experience.

I see people talking about being obsolete in 9 months... I don't think anything could be further from the truth. My iPhone 4 is now about 20 months old and although it may not have as much "under the hood" as phones that have come out in 2011/2012 (and in some cases, 2010), it more than holds it own for whatever I throw at it... and I still have access to the best app store in the business. Show me another smartphone that has been out almost 2 years that has held up as well as the iPhone 4. And for that matter, show me one that has been out 3 years that has held up as well as the iPhone 3GS.

Whereas the iPhone's OS updates are overall very smooth, the Droid's and other smartphones updates are quite chaotic... if they come out at all.

I'm in my 20s and all of my friends are in the wired generation. Most of us have iPhones and feel no need to upgrade mid-cycle (we all wait for our 2 year contracts to be up and get the new model when it comes out, whichever cycle we are on). Only one of my friends, who is a big Apple aficionado, upgrades every year. And even he will tell you it's overkill. I contrast that with my friends who use droids who go through probably an average of 3 phones every 2 years because operating system updates, which, for me provide more added functionality than new hardware, are like water in a desert.

I know this thread is about the iPad, but a few people generalized Apple products so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents since I don't own a tablet. But if I were to buy one, I'd probably go with an iPad 2 (or likely iPad 3 when it debuts). Everything I read when the iPad 2 came out, and for a few months after, seemed to indicate the iPad 2 was the best tablet on the market.

Oh, and by the way... is calling Apple the BMW of the computer world supposed to be a jab? How many years does the BMW 3-series need to land on car and driver's best before you'll stop snickering?
post #6 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
7 Must haves and LTE isn't one of them......hmmmmmm

Nabs17
post #7 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:

This hasn't been true for years. Source the specs in the iPad 3 tomorrow and let me know the price of the nearest competitor with similar specs.

PS - The article says 2,048 x 1,536 is double the resolution. Technically, that's 4 times the resolution. Multiply the pixels.
post #8 of 15 Old 03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabs17 View Post

7 Must haves and LTE isn't one of them......hmmmmmm

curious exclusion. if it weren't for the gps exclusion on the wifi iPads, I'd probably just use tethering on my phone to save a few $ on both iPad and data plan.

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #9 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 158
SO at what time this is suppose to be, I heard a rumor Apple is suppose to release a new version of the ATV3?

Djoel
post #10 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

details on apple site now...

new atv, yes... 1080p and faster processor... might interest some... gonna save my 99 bucks on that towards the new ipad...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #11 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

details on apple site now...

new atv, yes... 1080p and faster processor... might interest some... gonna save my 99 bucks on that towards the new ipad...

I think I'll finally get me an Ipad myself..

Dan
post #12 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

time to join the apple drones dan...

i love my ipad2... but that doesn't mean i don't want the new one...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #13 of 15 Old 03-07-2012, 03:00 PM

I just ordered a gen3 iPad, black/64gb/4G LTE (Verizon). Deal-breakers did not trump the deal-makers. I am interested in the display technology though... (IPS dual LED? IGZO?) & Gorilla Glass 2(?)

Things that I like:

1. "Hotspot" capability will come in handy. Not sure of Verizon's policy on this
2. Bluetooth 4.0
3. No significant increase in size/weight
post #14 of 15 Old 03-08-2012, 09:55 AM

. . soooo the New IPAD ...aspect ratio IS 4:3 ?? !! . . QXGA (2048×1536) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic...8.C3.971536.29
post #15 of 15 Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Uh, same aspect ratio as the old ipad? What were you expecting?

Personally I'm sticking with the ipad2 for another year. I don't use it for gaming so the new quad core graphics probably won't benefit me, I don't use it for photography or video so the improved cameras aren't a big deal, and I already pay $15/month for 250 MEGS of 3G, so a 4G connection would just make me broke.

That new screen sounds nice though
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page