post #1 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Apple's Innovations Over the Years
By Steve Crowe
A look at the iPad and other innovative products from Apple.

With the iPad 3 event just hours away, we take a look back at the innovative products Apple has developed throughout the years.

The list could certainly be much longer, but we decided to keep it to 10. So feel free to add your two cents in the comments.

Our list covers personal computers, digital music, smartphones, and more.

We've made our predictions as to what features will be in the iPad 3, but it will be interesting to see how the changes affect the home control market.

What is your all-time favorite Apple product?

Click here to continue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM

That article truly stretches the word innovation.

Variation is a more accurate term for Apples last decade of products.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Obviously the OP has no clue what innovation means

let me give you some clues

lets refute this list one by one

1,2 IBM and Compaq revolutionized the the PC market. IBM for giving us the PC and Compaq for giving us clones.

3. MP3 man ring a bell? How about Rio? they were on the scene long before Apple 1998 vs 2001......

5. Give me a break 2006 is when Apple decided to join the x86 crowd......not innovate it

7. Windows Mobile, Palm OS, Black Berry OS in the smart phone market LONG before apple thought about it. FYI windows mobile can trace it's roots back to April 2000 about 12 years ago

10 Ipad, nope please try again.... Zenith Data systems had a portable pad back in 1994......with wireless and flash based storage, I know I was there and I played with it Shows like Star Trek had those concepts way back in the gasp 1960's

Apple is EXCEPTIONALLY good at getting suckers to pay way too much common everyday hardware.......while getting them to believe the lie of their so called innovation.

FYI while apple was stuck in sub (480*320) VGA resolution on their iphone LG had the KM900 with a 800*480 screen way back in 2009

Facts, they are indeed a wonderful thing....

The only area that Apple excels in is iTunes and the app store.......other than that they are way behind the 8 ball when it comes to actual hardware...with the exception being the current Ipad 3

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #4 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 242
I will take my imac over any pc out there. PC's are built like cheap toys that dont last more than a few years before the cheap fans burn out or the screens and hard drives go bad. Yes, apple products cost more, but at least they are built well and last a lot longer. Yes, PC's are innovative because you have to replace them every few years.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My PCs are not "built like cheap toys," because I build them myself. Can't do that with Apple stuff, because they are proprietary.

A.L.a.E.o.t.U.S., as proven 3/21 - never forget.
Defend liberty.
Knowledge isn't Truth; it's just mindless agreement.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

I will say that the word innovation probably isn't the best word. Though I do love some of their products...I have a ton of iPods, iPhone and will be getting the iPad 3 for musical reasons (some very cool apps).

In regards to their computers, they are built well for sure compared to many available PC's (not all, but many). My issues are first, virtually everything I do requires PC (calibration tools, automation software, etc...). Sure dual boot sort of works, but not well with these. But the other thing to me is true for any PC as well. At this point, they are generally disposable. You can buy a $3k PC that may last 5 years. But the way technology advances, I personally would be replacing it in 2 anyways. I know some are of different points of view, but to me that is how I look at it.

Anyways, to each his own.

Jason C. Turk
Technical Support, Customer Service, Sales and Installations
A/V Science, Inc.
Direct Line: 585-645-1004
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't forget my nearly 13,000 posts under my old ID!

post #7 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai View Post

Apple is EXCEPTIONALLY good at getting suckers to pay way too much common everyday hardware.......while getting them to believe the lie of their so called innovation.

why is it that every thread like this has to have a statement like this thrown in?

we aren't "suckers"...

fwiw, it's safe to say i'm tech savvy... i didn't write code in ibm bal for 20 years without being so...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

why is it that every thread like this has to have a statement like this thrown in?

we aren't "suckers"...

fwiw, it's safe to say i'm tech savvy... i didn't write code in ibm bal for 20 years without being so...

well if you are paying $600+ for a tablet....that has absolutely no expandability.....

post #9 of 16 Old 03-08-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai View Post

well if you are paying $600+ for a tablet....that has absolutely to expandability.....

Do you really need that many pixels in a 3.2" screen phone? I have a droid charge 4.3'' and I cant even see the pixles unless I get very very close to it. An Ipad is just a big ipod touch w a more powerful processor. Android tablets are closer to a computer if you ask me. Expandable storage, hdmi, usb, I can manage/extract files, download torrents ,better multi tasking, fully customize it to look ANYWAY I want to. I pads are over rated (the wife has one ill tell you that much ) why don't people see all those advantages as "innovative" "stunning" "revolutionary". The only thing it has going for it is the app store and all the accys theres out for them.

Apple = pc for dummies aka my wife

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
Sony VPL-VW70 Pojector, Xbox 360 250GB, Yamaha RX-V573
post #10 of 16 Old 03-09-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

dragonfyr,

Apple had to move to the x86 platform as the Power PC chips were not going anywhere prtformance wise in the desktop arena. While they were better than a P4 Prescott, they struggled to keep up with the entry level core series processors with their performance being between a core solo and a core 2 duo running at 1,83Ghz.

I would hardly call Apple's version of 'nix robust......as it has yet to be beat to death by the hacking community......unlike windows.....

As for NT supporting PPC and Alpha that was a dead end from the beginning as there were serious issues running Windows x86 software on those machines. Alpha was dead for sure when Compaq quit supporting it. PPC was dead after NT 4 and was not supported going forward. main reason for this was lack of software on the windows side for these processors.

and no macs are NOT real IBM clones IBM introduced the x86 IBM PC as the personal computer for everyone and Compaq was the first vendor able to reproduce the BIOS without reverse engineering IBM's version.

you are right that macs are clones of a particular 'nix machine.....but those are hardly considered personal computers in the sense that the x86 machines were

post #11 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
krs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post

I will take my imac over any pc out there. PC's are built like cheap toys that dont last more than a few years before the cheap fans burn out or the screens and hard drives go bad. Yes, apple products cost more, but at least they are built well and last a lot longer. Yes, PC's are innovative because you have to replace them every few years.

Tsk, if you buy cheap PC's you'll get cheap internals but even that failed $4. fan can be replaced with a better one in less than five minutes.

As with everything else you get what you pay for but with PC's you can select topnotch internals and assemble them with ease into any level of performance you desire for half the cost of that trusty Mac. They can be so good that there's almost never a mechanical reason to update; the only reason to update can be to keep up with innovations in speed, power efficiency, storage, and connectivity....(connectivity....ever heard of that, Mac? )

....nice post, dragonfyr.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 88
PC lovers can howl al they want, but the fact is that Apple redefined markets at the expense of curmudgeonly, iconoclastic PC makers and their subservient acolytes.

Apple:

Not the first all-in-one computer, but the most successful, and without a floppy disc drive, SCSI port, ADB port, or serial port to boot...

Not the first MP3 player, but the most successful, and with AAC and Apple Lossless to boot...

Not the first music (and TV, and movie) download service, but the most successful, and with a simple economic and legal model to boot...

Not the first smartphone, but the most successful, and with a limited (often singular) model selection to boot...

Not the first app marketplace for mobile units, but the most successful, and with a "curated" model rather than an open, "any-piece-of-crap," "some-might-have-malware-but-you're-on-your-own," model...

Not the first tablet, but the most successful, and with a limited model selection to boot...

Not the first app store for PCs, but the most successful, and with a curated model to boot, which others are imitating now...

Not the first "world's most valuable market cap corporation," but currently the most successful, and with a limited number of products to boot...

So one can live in the past with delusions of "I can build my own PC from cheap parts from Chinese slave prison labor" or one can live in the present of "I can buy a completely functional and leading edge (not bleeding) edge product from Chinese factories that have the highest available level of scrutiny, wages, and working conditions," but one cannot claim the moral, ethical, or functional high ground without being myopic, delusional, and hypocritical.

Steve, the OP, is right on the money, and if one wants to start a worship the decrepit PC thread, by all means one should do so. I'm certain there'd be a lot of love there, just like at the adultcon.com convention held here in LA every year.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #13 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

PC lovers can howl al they want, but the fact is that Apple redefined markets at the expense of curmudgeonly, iconoclastic PC makers and their subservient acolytes.

Apple:

Not the first all-in-one computer, but the most successful, and without a floppy disc drive, SCSI port, ADB port, or serial port to boot...

Not the first MP3 player, but the most successful, and with AAC and Apple Lossless to boot...

Not the first music (and TV, and movie) download service, but the most successful, and with a simple economic and legal model to boot...

Not the first smartphone, but the most successful, and with a limited (often singular) model selection to boot...

Not the first app marketplace for mobile units, but the most successful, and with a "curated" model rather than an open, "any-piece-of-crap," "some-might-have-malware-but-you're-on-your-own," model...

Not the first tablet, but the most successful, and with a limited model selection to boot...

Not the first app store for PCs, but the most successful, and with a curated model to boot, which others are imitating now...

Not the first "world's most valuable market cap corporation," but currently the most successful, and with a limited number of products to boot...

So one can live in the past with delusions of "I can build my own PC from cheap parts from Chinese slave prison labor" or one can live in the present of "I can buy a completely functional and leading edge (not bleeding) edge product from Chinese factories that have the highest available level of scrutiny, wages, and working conditions," but one cannot claim the moral, ethical, or functional high ground without being myopic, delusional, and hypocritical.

Steve, the OP, is right on the money, and if one wants to start a worship the decrepit PC thread, by all means one should do so. I'm certain there'd be a lot of love there, just like at the adultcon.com convention held here in LA every year.

You said it!! It lacks sooo many futures but its the most successful. Guess what, so is BOSE!! and its called MARKETING TO THE MASSES !!!!!!!!!! People buy apple because its "cool" believe me, I sold apple products for few years for a living and people don't bother asking you about the performance it has for the money. All the say is "OMG ITS SO NICE LOOKING!!" and the typical "I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS BUT I WAS TOLD TO GET A MAC SO I WANT A MAC" . Sound Familiar to people who go buy HT systems ? Apple focuses on how nice and stylish things do. Just as bose focusus on how small and stylish speakers are. Most people who are techy like me don't like apple much...unless its for my air head wife of course ( you didnt hear that from me:P ). Apple is very limited and if you know anything about computers you know its overrated. Sure its good quality but you should expect that considering that you can get the same performance on a pc for half the price! I'm sure you as an audioholic would rather have some good sounding speakers over BOSE! . I have NEVER gotten a virus in my PC since I became very familiar with it (must I mention that I dont use anti virus?) Not to mention about 95% of the worlds computers run windows so chances of catching malware,spyware, trojan virus, worm etc.... is much higher compared to mac.

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
post #14 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathinc View Post

You said it!! It lacks sooo many futures but its the most successful. Guess what, so is BOSE!! and its called MARKETING TO THE MASSES !!!!!!!!!! People buy apple because its "cool" believe me, I sold apple products for few years for a living and people don't bother asking you about the performance it has for the money. All the say is "OMG ITS SO NICE LOOKING!!" and the typical "I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS BUT I WAS TOLD TO GET A MAC SO I WANT A MAC" . Sound Familiar to people who go buy HT systems ? Apple focuses on how nice and stylish things do. Just as bose focusus on how small and stylish speakers are. Most people who are techy like me don't like apple much...unless its for my air head wife of course ( you didnt hear that from me:P ). Apple is very limited and if you know anything about computers you know its overrated. Sure its good quality but you should expect that considering that you can get the same performance on a pc for half the price! I'm sure you as an audioholic would rather have some good sounding speakers over BOSE! . I have NEVER gotten a virus in my PC since I became very familiar with it (must I mention that I dont use anti virus?) Not to mention about 95% of the worlds computers run windows so chances of catching malware,spyware, trojan virus, worm etc.... is much higher compared to mac.

I assume "futures" is supposed to be "features"? Actually the Mac is not the most successful, and I think you know that. Thanks for not selling Apple anymore. Maybe that's why sales are rising.

I'd much rather have a $5,000 JBL than a $1,000 Bose, and I'd much rather have a $999.00 MacBook Air than a $699 junkbook from some generic PC maker. Your analogy is illogical. In either case I want the better quality product, not the cheapest thing out there, such as Bose or HP/Dell/Lenovo/Sony or some pile of oddball parts some tech head put together, then yelled, "Hey, look what I did!"

Your PC may not have a virus, but you might want have yourself checked.

post #15 of 16 Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

I assume "futures" is supposed to be "features"? Actually the Mac is not the most successful, and I think you know that. Thanks for not selling Apple anymore. Maybe that's why sales are rising.

I'd much rather have a $5,000 JBL than a $1,000 Bose, and I'd much rather have a $999.00 MacBook Air than a $699 junkbook from some generic PC maker. Your analogy is illogical. In either case I want the better quality product, not the cheapest thing out there, such as Bose or HP/Dell/Lenovo/Sony or some pile of oddball parts some tech head put together, then yelled, "Hey, look what I did!"

Your PC may not have a virus, but you might want have yourself checked.

Cheap? considering a 1200 macbook has an i5 w 4gb ram 500hdd I would expect it to be good quality. You can get a Win Laptop with that performance at around 449.99-549.99....... Plus most of the mention brands target customers who look for most bang for the buck rather than looks...

post #16 of 16 Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathinc View Post

Cheap? considering a 1200 macbook has an i5 w 4gb ram 500hdd I would expect it to be good quality. You can get a Win Laptop with that performance at around 449.99-549.99....... Plus most of the mention brands target customers who look for most bang for the buck rather than looks...

Unfortunately, those customers are getting mostly bang. They lag behind Apple in customer satisfaction, customer service, overall security (often called "security through obscurity" or "the walled garden effect" by those who need cute phrases when logic won't do), and return on investment. There are not only numerous surveys, studies, and analyses that reinforce these facts, but my own unfortunate experience as well.

My original Dell tower crapped out in four months, was "fixed" by a Dell Authorized Service Center three times, and never recovered.

My Sony Vaio laptop's screen stopped working seven months into its life, got repaired over four agonizing weeks of waiting, then the video board died three weeks after the warranty.

Our Compaq by HP laptop lasted a whole nine months before the hard drive died, then the repaired unit came back with bad memory, then the "JBL Pro" speakers stopped working, then I just gave up when the bottom half of the screen went fuzzy.

Honestly, we've tried to keep a Windows machine around, but it's not easy or cheap... until Apple went Intel, so now my trusty, reliable Windows machine is a Mac. In fact my current iMac is three machines in one: OSX, XP, and Linux. Now that's a return on investment.

And how's that for Apple innovation:
1. Let's make customers happy.
2. Let's give customers good service.
3. Let's keep bad things out as much as we can.
4. Let's give real value, not cheap value.

Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page