Walmart Wants to Be Your Movie Cloud - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I would however pay for a service that takes my paper books and converts them into ebooks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
in the long run, it seems cheaper for me to continue ripping my own DVD's, paying a little extra for the PlayOn pro license, and eating the costs for any bandwidth overages on a monthly basis. PlayOn already allows me to view my content in the house on any DLNA device, and the Pro version claims to allow you access via a smartphone.

i haven't tried it yet, but i would experiment with something like that LONG before i would pay someone for the honor of burning my discs for me.

Chimpuat

post #33 of 36 Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpuat View Post

in the long run, it seems cheaper for me to continue ripping my own DVD's, paying a little extra for the PlayOn pro license, and eating the costs for any bandwidth overages on a monthly basis. PlayOn already allows me to view my content in the house on any DLNA device, and the Pro version claims to allow you access via a smartphone.

i haven't tried it yet, but i would experiment with something like that LONG before i would pay someone for the honor of burning my discs for me.

Who would be burning discs for you, not walmart. With Walmart and VUDU you are only getting digital access to the title if it's one of the titles they have in their 20K+ digital library.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #34 of 36 Old 04-01-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

Fascinating ;something doesnt quite add up if they havent released a bd version of your disc ; so what quality is the hi def version ? upscaled sd for $5 ? or bad luck take the disc home

Not hard to wonder why this has never happened ;what a joke

Quote:
Will Blu-ray support mandatory managed copy?

Yes, mandatory managed copy (MMC) will be part of the Blu-ray format. This feature will enable consumers to make legal copies of their Blu-ray movies that can be transferred over a home network. Please note that "mandatory" refers to the movies having to offer this capability, while it will be up to each hardware manufacturer to decide if they want to support this feature.

Speaking of blu-ray Managed Copy...

Media Tech - Packaged Media and Beyond 2012, Las Vegas

Quote:
2:15-2:45 pm
Topic: The Roll-Out of Managed Copy'
Speaker: Donald Leake, Jr.,
Program Director, Copy Protection Business Development,
IBM

AACS, the encryption system that protects Blu-ray discs, is moving forward on Managed Copy, allowing consumers to make single copies. The initial launch is in the U.S., but Europe will be following. What are the implications for replicators?

post #35 of 36 Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Liked: 10
why not rent? $4 for 720p from vudu

very easy
post #36 of 36 Old 04-27-2012, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 31
"The Cloud" attacks again. EVERYBODY and their nephew is doing the "cloud" thing. Since the early days of the consumer Internet, 1980s, people used refer this thing as the THIN WORKSTATION. Just have a smart machine in front of you, and all your apps and data and everything is gonna come from a far away data farm of some sort. 20 years later they're still trying.

Doesn't Walmart have a video service? I don't sense is a hot topic over here. Walmart doing the cloud? I may raise an eyeblow or two if they poach a few hot dogs from Apple and or Netfix, else I don't think it's going anywhere.
Reply CE Pro & Electronic House Articles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page