AVS Forum banner

Ultimate Guide to Freestanding Loudspeakers

9K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Reddig 
#1 ·
Ultimate Guide to Freestanding Loudspeakers

By Robert Archer
Freestanding loudspeakers are designed to minimally impact aesthetics, while providing the ultimate two-channel and home theater listening experience.

This past spring a small group of audio journalists were invited by PSB Speakers’ founder Paul Barton to tour the legendary Canadian National Research Council’s (NRC) audio lab in Ottawa.

Barton pointed out the most important thing he has learned over the years is how humans perceive sound and how this knowledge has influenced his product designs.

“My goals have always stayed on the same course. They were and they still are to design, manufacture and market high-performance, value-oriented loudspeakers,” he says. “I was not aware of the importance of understanding the human psychology of how we perceive sound, and how it would apply and influence my speaker designs.”

Barton adds whether a speaker is home theater or two-channel audio, it has to perform at the same quality level. He also notes it’s more important than ever to design a product that can handle the demand high-resolution audio recordings have for power and bandwidth.

We have rounded up some of the latest freestanding speakers and subwoofers available.

Adam Audio Artist 5

Adam Audio first made waves in the pro audio industry, where its active speakers became popular in recording. Over the past few years Adam has targeted the consumer market with architectural, freestanding home theater and two-channel lines, as well as the burgeoning computer audio channel.

The Artist 5 is its latest active speaker for the home audio and prosumer recording markets. It incorporates separate 50-watt amps for the 5.5-inch midrange driver and proprietary ART ribbon tweeter, as well as gain controls on the back of the speakers to tailor the drivers’ output.

Click here to continue.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.