Show off your outdoor screen! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #31 of 68 Old 11-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

and

Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 68 Old 11-19-2008, 01:10 PM

Liked: 10
Wow
Bravo you guys
I dig all your screens
Post more pics with movie screenshots
post #33 of 68 Old 11-20-2008, 11:43 AM

Funky K, that is amazing. What a cool setup you have man. Talk about a cool outdoor theatre. And it's attached to such a nice house too! Rockin!

post #34 of 68 Old 11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjames View Post

I live in a very high wind city, any ideas for the screen?

My screen doesn't appear to be going anywhere. In under six months, it has survived the remnants of a hurricane as well as a nearby tornado that downed power lines less than two miles from my house. The lattice panels are attached between twelve foot four by fours concreted about three foot into the ground every four feet. The plywood panels sit in a u-channel aluminum moulding on a two by four holding up the bottom and are hooked with bungee cords to eye-bolts mounted to the back of the panels near the top and strapped to the fence. The screen actually rises above the top of the fence a foot or two. I screwed the eye bolts right through the back of the screen and through the front, then ground them off and painted.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3272/...41c42cb6_b.jpg

The screen can be removed with two guys, a ladder and a half hour. It hasn't been removed since I put it up, and if I was really serious about taking it down and putting it up a lot, I probably would use a lighter screen material than plywood or maybe a thinner variety.

If I couldn't or didn't have a ruggedly built fence on which to solidly hang my heavy screen,, and I wanted something that could take the wind, I probably would have gone with one of the conduit/tubing framed tarps I see are popular, but at a minimum I'd have prebuilt concrete bases to slip the supports into. I tried a tarp early on (can still be seen hanging on back of lattice in picture), attached directly (hanging on) the from of the lattice fence. It worked OK, but I didn't like the 'look' of it. Perhaps if I'd properly framed it in conduit I might have been satisfied, but a happy coincidence of deciding on the plywood is that it actually looks pretty good left up, and reinforces the notion of a dedicated outdoor theater (my goal at the outset). I suppose I was lucky. I started with a blank slate and built from scratch in an area ideal for the purposes to which it has evolved. I didn't have to cram an "outdoor home theater" into my driveway or repurpose an existing patio for same. Property is much cheaper in the ghetto. There are still SIXTEEN feet of my property BEHIND the lattice back panels that hold my screen.

The air inflatable screens can be a problem in the wind from what I read, so you might want to stay away from that option.

Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
post #35 of 68 Old 12-23-2008, 12:40 PM

Here is our outdoor theater - Nova Scotia Canada :-)

Screen is about 9 X 16 feet - wrinkles got worked out and screen looks great!

post #36 of 68 Old 01-13-2009, 07:03 PM

wow, i want one!!!!!!!! Ver Nice
post #37 of 68 Old 01-14-2009, 05:09 AM

post #38 of 68 Old 02-29-2016, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I feel this thread needed a bump.

Same 165" screen just different (finished putting together) frame.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
post #39 of 68 Old 03-15-2016, 02:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ridewithme38, is the frame in the above pic a kit or did you purchase the pieces separatly on line? I really like that design.
post #40 of 68 Old 04-21-2016, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo53 View Post
Ridewithme38, is the frame in the above pic a kit or did you purchase the pieces separatly on line? I really like that design.
A kit, from http://www.carlofet.com/fixed-frame-...reen-kits.html
post #41 of 68 Old 05-05-2016, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My rooftop movie theater:

And one of my dog while I was putting it all together:

elmalloc, azz7686 and MeanMachine like this.
post #42 of 68 Old 08-11-2016, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
these are some great setups!
post #43 of 68 Old 08-13-2016, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Typically we watch movies on a 120" diagonal pull down mounted to the side of the house, but I had an opportunity to borrow a 9'X16' inflatable from work so why not. The monster just barely fit across the side yard. I built a multi-compartment hush box for the blower assembly which made it acceptably quiet, though you can still hear the thing whirling away when the movie is silent.

I upgraded speakers in my home theater recently so the old ones have come out to serve admirably in the yard setup. Coupled with a 10" Paradigm sub (DSP3100 I believe) the sound is surprisingly clear and dynamic. An old amplifier from the '70's completes the audio end of things.

The projector is my BenQ W1070 drug out of the home theater. Even though I just installed a new lamp it could have used a few more lumens for that monster screen. The picture was still very watchable.

Zero gravity chairs are perfect; comfortable and just the right angle.

A friend brought over San Andreas. Not my favorite but a fun outdoor popcorn flick all the same. It's a good thing I have tolerant neighbors because that movie is noisy mayhem from start to finish. Helps that I gave them a heads up before hand and shut it down by 11:00 on a Friday.

It is a lot of work setting up and taking down an outdoor theater but worth it. Watching a movie outside just has an entirely different feel.
There are down sides of course; the potential of annoying neighbors, up here in Canada it gets dark late (9:00 to 10:00) in the summer, and in my yard at least, the freaking crickets make such a racket that they compete with all but the loudest scenes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outdoors 1.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	1600361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Outdoors 2.jpg
Views:	958
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	1600369  

Last edited by DavidK442; 08-13-2016 at 05:52 AM.
post #44 of 68 Old 08-20-2016, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Here is my outdoor setup. a 9' x 16' screen made from billboard vinyl on an EMT frame. A lot like ridewithme38's
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Outdoor setup.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	1614649  
post #45 of 68 Old 01-03-2017, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Here's mine.

post #46 of 68 Old 02-05-2017, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just finished, Brixham Theater.

165" pool side.

azz7686 and darknite9099 like this.
post #47 of 68 Old 02-17-2017, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisn2me View Post
Just finished, Brixham Theater.

165" pool side.

WOW! What a sweet setup.
Dive-In Theater!
post #48 of 68 Old 05-05-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I've had an outdoor tv/screen deal for a few years, but decided it's time to upgrade. I ordered a 20ft x 8ft white tarp to act as my screen. I mounted wire rope between two trees. It is a long run of wire rope - 100ft, but hopefully it works out! I just attached the tarp yesterday and hope to try it out this weekend (weather permitting). I just bought some stakes and waiting for some bungee ties. The wind can be pretty rough where I am. I attached a picture of it wrapped up for now and hope to post again once I have everything set up. It's up high about 10-11' on the tree. I wanted to go higher but my ladder is only 6ft. I "think" the image should be ok on it. Heres hoping! I also like that fact that it is waterproof so that I don't have to remove it off the wire for the season.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2139.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	2118921  
azz7686 likes this.
post #49 of 68 Old 05-12-2017, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had this as a idea for about a year and now I have put the plan in motion

AVR....................Pioneer Elite VSX 01THX

Front Speakers....Presidon outdoor speakers

Center Speaker...PolkAudio CS1

Surrounds..........Optimus LS3 outdoor speakers

Subs.................2 PolkAudio PSW10's

Projector...........BenQ MP626

BD Player..........Pioneer BDP 120

Screen.............. 12' inflatable gemmy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170421_181947.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	2133257  
post #50 of 68 Old 06-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Where are people getting there blow up projector screens from? Do they use the same type of blower as a small bounce house or inflatable slides
post #51 of 68 Old 06-26-2017, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Projector people told me you can hear the blower....

Projects:
NOT STARTED - Theater (Sim2 HT380, CIH 13ft wide).
IN PROGRESS (10%) - Home LAN (4 PCs).

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
post #52 of 68 Old 06-30-2017, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post
Projector people told me you can hear the blower....
You can hear the blower....but honestly it disappears once the audio form the movie kicks in.

As for where, I got my Gemmy Jumbo Tron from target (online).

elmalloc and azz7686 like this.
post #53 of 68 Old 08-12-2017, 08:07 AM

Here is my screen. So as you can see, the screen is not as smooth as I hoped it would be. As you are watching a film, the creases really show on the image. I made a PVC frame 3/4" to help stretch it out, but overall, it still isn't perfect. The PVC frame is bending as I have some good tension between the ground stakes and the wire rope to prevent the wind from blowing it all over the place. Looking for advice on how to improve on this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3601.JPG (1.03 MB, 19 views)
post #54 of 68 Old 08-12-2017, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediaman98 View Post
Here is my screen. So as you can see, the screen is not as smooth as I hoped it would be. As you are watching a film, the creases really show on the image. I made a PVC frame 3/4" to help stretch it out, but overall, it still isn't perfect. The PVC frame is bending as I have some good tension between the ground stakes and the wire rope to prevent the wind from blowing it all over the place. Looking for advice on how to improve on this....
If you haven't already looked at some steel conduit at the hardware store/HomeDepot, it can definitely be worth checking out. The extra weight and strength might be a big help for your problems and the rest of the setup stays practically the same...even the price doesn't increase a ton.

I did run into an issue with a local hardware store not carrying a particular connector I wanted, so I'd also recommend making sure you can find/buy all the pieces you'll want before starting. Plan what you'll need, do some dry-fitting in the store to make sure pieces fit how you'd like them..things like that.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #55 of 68 Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
If you haven't already looked at some steel conduit at the hardware store/HomeDepot, it can definitely be worth checking out. The extra weight and strength might be a big help for your problems and the rest of the setup stays practically the same...even the price doesn't increase a ton.

I did run into an issue with a local hardware store not carrying a particular connector I wanted, so I'd also recommend making sure you can find/buy all the pieces you'll want before starting. Plan what you'll need, do some dry-fitting in the store to make sure pieces fit how you'd like them..things like that.
Yea, that might be a better frame option. The EMT would be stronger and not have as much give to it.

We tried out the screen yesterday. So the tarp may not be the best screen option as it is not as smooth as say a canvas or other screen material. I like the fact that the tarp is waterproof. I went around and tightened up the bungees and it helped a little bit, but overall, not the desired results I was looking for. I may check out Carlofet screens and see if they have a better option.
post #56 of 68 Old 08-14-2017, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Some of the tarp imperfections might be extra noticeable because most tarps are pretty shiny/glossy...so a coating of inexpensive flat exterior LightBase paint might tame it enough to help hide some imperfections.
I'm just not sure how long an exterior paint will hold on a tarp or if a bright white primer would be better since either option can make practically anything into a really nice white screen for ~$10/gallon.

I do plan to eventually try this myself (painting a tarp) because it gives some larger size options at prices that I won't feel guilty about spending toward a project that'll realistically see minimal use.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #57 of 68 Old 08-17-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
Some of the tarp imperfections might be extra noticeable because most tarps are pretty shiny/glossy...so a coating of inexpensive flat exterior LightBase paint might tame it enough to help hide some imperfections.
I'm just not sure how long an exterior paint will hold on a tarp or if a bright white primer would be better since either option can make practically anything into a really nice white screen for ~$10/gallon.

I do plan to eventually try this myself (painting a tarp) because it gives some larger size options at prices that I won't feel guilty about spending toward a project that'll realistically see minimal use.

Agreed. The paint may help, but I think the key is to have a strong frame and stretch it as far as it can go over a correct sized EMT frame. I just bought some EMT, but also opted to go with the 16x9 blackout screen from Carls. They include the fittings in the kit and seemed like a good buy. I agree though, it will have minimal use some its hard to justify spending crazy $ on it.
elmalloc likes this.
post #58 of 68 Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 AM

I'd like to give praise to Carlofet screens! Super fast shipping! I precut the EMT this week and built it yesterday. Overall, it is way better than my prior setup. The screen quality is excellent. The blackout screen is awesome! I love it! We've had a dryspell here in NY for weeks, so of course, after I build it and set it up yesterday, today we get crazy thunderstorms/rain....there goes my viewing party tonight......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3654.JPG (795.0 KB, 13 views)
post #59 of 68 Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediaman98 View Post
I'd like to give praise to Carlofet screens! Super fast shipping! I precut the EMT this week and built it yesterday. Overall, it is way better than my prior setup. The screen quality is excellent. The blackout screen is awesome! I love it! We've had a dryspell here in NY for weeks, so of course, after I build it and set it up yesterday, today we get crazy thunderstorms/rain....there goes my viewing party tonight......
Congratulations on the new screen, I think you'll like it a lot.

Just an FYI for you... Carl's recommends (and I agree it works) what they call their "4 inch rule". The rule says, assuming you're using 6" bungees and 1" EMT, that you should add 4" to the top/bottom and each side screen dimensions to size the EMT frame. In other words, an additional 8" to the length and height of the frame which will in turn increase the tension from the bungees on the screen material.

I see from your picture that you have some wrinkling/puckering on the edges. If they don't fall out or they bother you, increasing the EMT frame dimensions using the "4 inch rule" should take care of it.
elmalloc likes this.
post #60 of 68 Old 08-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Agreed. This build was kind of rushed unfortunately. I agree on the 4" rule. For now, I will probably leave it as is... it's wrinkled a little bit on top. When I re install the screen next year, I will measure out and adjust accordingly. Thanks for the feedback! The blackout screen is great so my neighbors behind me aren't distracted by the glowing screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page