AVS Forum banner

Anyone using generators?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  cinepro1 
#1 ·
I could use some advice on powering our outdoor screen set up

We have a 16x9 inflatable screen using a Koala blower. We also have two- 500 watt self powered speakers and mixer, plus DVD player and 20000 lumen projector

Up until now, we have used household power form the venues we work at including generator supplied by our clients. Now we wish to purchase our own power source. Is anyone using a generator? How many amps are recommended and should we consider the highly priced Honda 2000i inverter Generator?

Also what about preventing power surges form damaging equipment? How do you guys manage that?

Let talk power!

#2 ·
I would definitely go with an inverter, cleaner power.

You won't go wrong with the Honda, very easy to start, very quiet and has good resale value too.

You might want to look at the Honda 3000is too. It has 25 amps vs. the 15-16A of the 2000i. Although, you can strap two of the 2000i's together for more watts. Be sure to use 12 or 14 gauge extension cords for you equipment.

I use a Honda 6500is for my house in power emergences. The Honda's cost more and I think they're worth it especially for what you want to do.

#3 ·
I receintly rented the honda 3000i for a similar park event using a 16x9 inflatable screen, 300w P.A system, spotlight and a 2000 lumin projector. It worked superbly, I was very impressed, so were the clients.

The main aspect is how quiet it runs! Secondly the inverter provides very clean power, probably smoother than the wall socket.

Generators are not all the same and you are very wise to be careful. I would not have used the 2000i as I doubt it could run all of my gear, let alone your 20000 lumin projector!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.