AVS Forum banner

LCD outside

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  timtimes 
#1 ·
Hey -

I think this is the best place to post this, but I admit I did not search other areas for this answer.

The wife FINALLY agreed to let me run a TV outside, need some input.

If I protect an LCD from water, can it withstand a Dallas summer? It will be in the shade under a cover. I am guessing 104F for the patio during the dog days.

I would probably take it down in Jan after football is over (b/c is there not liquid in a liquid crystal?).

I cannot afford a weather proof tv. Thinking a 26" refurb Westinghouse or something similiar.

Thanks!

#2 ·
No help with the heat but I will have a 32" Sammy outside for my deck next weekend. In New England it's the concern about the cold winter for this permanent installation.

I will pick up a line-voltage thermostat and wire it to a 100+ watt light bulb all inside the cabinet behind the TV. This way I can set the thermostat to keep the cabinet at 55 degrees or whatever and the closed and sealed door will protect it from moisture.

#3 ·
TJ7 - a few questions.

1 - How are you doing the box? I have some ideas (oak 1 by's) but curious to see your plans.

2 - You mounting everything to brick?

3 - And lastly, are you covering the TV inside the box?

After doing some research, the TV has to be able to handle 110F+ or you couldn't ship it. So now my only real concern is water. I live in Dallas, so the two months it is cold I can bring it in.

thanks

#4 ·
This thread will show you my layout
http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invb...showtopic=1873

Here are the details
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...a/IMG_0002.gif
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...a/IMG_0001.gif
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...a/IMG_0003.gif

The LCD will go in the corner cabinet and the door will flip up and be fully gasketed. This creates a totally enclosed space for the TV and with the thermostatically controlled bulb I shouldn't have to worry about the cold.

The face frames of the cabinets are mohogony so they will withstand the weather well. This past winter showed no signs of water infiltration into any of the cabinets.

#5 ·
Very nice!

My setup is not as elaborate - I don't have a wood wall and built in grill, just a brick wall under a few feet of soffit.

I think I will either

1) Build a plexiglass "sleeve" to go over the TV, with a fabric cover underneath

2) or go to a auto upholstry shop and have them make me a sealed cover out of marine grade vinyl.

Might have to go WT with a trash bag (or 4mil poly) for awhile, but that's only temporary.

Wife will not allow a cedar or oak box, which was my original plan. Hopefully she will ok another $500 for a replacement TV if this doesn't work. But it's a 32" Westy so the box would be big.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsooner /forum/post/14005040

Very nice!

My setup is not as elaborate - I don't have a wood wall and built in grill, just a brick wall under a few feet of soffit.

I think I will either

1) Build a plexiglass "sleeve" to go over the TV, with a fabric cover underneath

2) or go to a auto upholstry shop and have them make me a sealed cover out of marine grade vinyl.

Might have to go WT with a trash bag (or 4mil poly) for awhile, but that's only temporary.

Wife will not allow a cedar or oak box, which was my original plan. Hopefully she will ok another $500 for a replacement TV if this doesn't work. But it's a 32" Westy so the box would be big.

Very interresting - the PlexiGlass is a great idea - I never thought of that

Although i would have to ensure proper ventilation in back - another project maybe

Maybe you could show you wife my setup - she may change her mind...

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsooner /forum/post/13831659

Hey -

I think this is the best place to post this, but I admit I did not search other areas for this answer.

The wife FINALLY agreed to let me run a TV outside, need some input.

If I protect an LCD from water, can it withstand a Dallas summer? It will be in the shade under a cover. I am guessing 104F for the patio during the dog days.

I would probably take it down in Jan after football is over (b/c is there not liquid in a liquid crystal?).

I cannot afford a weather proof tv. Thinking a 26" refurb Westinghouse or something similiar.

Thanks!

My oldest son has an LCD tv mounted outside on his back patio. The patio is partially covered, but the TV is mounted in a thin box mounted on the wall. It has a hinged door that covers the front of the TV. You watch the TV through the glass (may be plexi) when the door is shut.

FWIW, it's a relatively cheap and smallish LCD model that didn't cost a whole lot.

Enjoy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.