AVS Forum banner

basic install question, need advice

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tlogan6797 
#1 ·
ok guys, here goes. bear with me, i am a newbie! i am building an outdoor entertainment area. I have a tv that is custom built in a window facing outside. (dead center of my new custom patio) my next step is to get some in ceiling speakers installed outside so that i have audio out there. id like to use those speakers obviously for the tv, but possibly be able to use my ipod on them as well. maybe even fm stereo, but that is low on my priority list. what will i need to get? my guess is a reciever of some sort, but i have no idea. thanks for any help, as i know very little!

I had this post in another area, and someone has said that yes i do need a reciever, just thought id get some of yalls input.

#2 ·
You definitely need a receiver. There are different kinds of receivers, but you could probably find a stereo receiver for pretty cheap - if you are only running to two speakers. If you want to incorporate a center speaker or surrounds, then you will have to use a receiver with a digital decoder that outputs 5.1 or more. These will be a little more expensive.

So the receiver take in the input (whether that be from an Ipod, a CD/DVD player, other audio or video sources), then drives the sound to the speakers. The receiver will also likely have an AM/FM radio built in. Some receivers even include a CD/DVD player. There is usually a little dial that lets you choose the input source.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rntbuck /forum/post/14159961

any suggestions on which reciever to get? where is the best place to get a cheap one? doesnt have to be anything special, since mostly just watching sports and what not on the 2 speakers

Check out fleabay. You could probably get a decent stereo receiver very cheaply. Honestly, you don't need to get anything special to drive your speakers for outdoor use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.