Anyone doing a dedicated outdoor only theater? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-2008, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My theater is currently a dedicated room above my garage. The room is about 14x36. 100% light controlled. It really is the perfect setup.

However, it's above a detached garage. In other words, it doesn't get used nearly as ofter as it should. And that's a shame. I still love the room, but am thinking of alternatives that would get significantly more use.

One alternative we've talked about is covering our back patio. We've got plenty of concrete back there. One section where the grill is is 12x32. The section right next to it (attached really) is 18x35.

I want to cover all of it (about 1000sf covered) and either move my screen downstairs (119" hipower) or build a bigger screen. I'm Ok with staying at 119", but I don't want the screen to get ruined by humidity. Although seriously, if it ain't being used upstairs, does it really matter?

The outdoor living area would be the 18x35 setup, which is a really decent sized theater. I'd put a combination of outdoor tables, chairs, and lounge chairs out there. I plan to build a sliding shelf in the ceiling for the projector (that way I can easily take it inside when not in use) and keep all the equipment inside in either the living room or master bedroom (both adjacent to the proposed outdoor space).

I'm also considering building a glass wall towards the back of the the theater. Kinda hard to describe, but basically it would protect the very back of the theater from the elements (rain primarily) so we could sit out there no matter how bad the weather was - either by using a nice space heater in the winder or fans in the summer.

Granted, in the summer, we wouldn't be able to start before 8:30pm, and I'll never be able to fire up my projector while drinking my morning coffee outside, but aside from those limitations, this space would get significantly more use, and it'd be much easier to host larger gatherings.

Assuming I either get something from here http://www.tempestlighting.com/products.html to put my projector in, or take it in when not in use, and I can live with the limitations of not kicking the projector on until just after dusk, it seems like a good idea to me. I'd give up my theater seats, but we were looking at outdoor furniture recently, and there's plenty of comfortable seats that would be quite cozy for a double-feature.

I wouldn't consider this if our theater wasn't detached, but being as it is and knowing how infrequently it gets used, aside from the cost of covering a 1000sqft patio, this seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Am I missing anything?

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" > My Outdoor Theater</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2008, 01:50 PM

I am getting ready to build a deck for our hot tub and I'm going to put a home theater on the deck as well. So far I have settled on the Boston Acoustics voyager subwoofer.

I'm thinking about a Sony HD projector, but the number of lumens is very low (>1,000). I would think that even ambient moonlight would require a fairly bright projector.

I haven't decided what kind of screen to use. I am going to have a privacy fence of 6 or 8 feet around the deck, and I was thinking about constructing a homemade screen to attach to the back side of the fence using 4x8 plywood painted white. The problem with that is that I want a screen bigger than 4x8, so I would have to make framing and use several different sheets of plywood.

I do not want to have tacky looking seams visible in the screen, so I am hoping to either be able to mount the plywood sheets flush against each other on the frame. I might have to use some sort of caulk or something to fill in any fine gaps before painting the screen, and of course I have to take into account the temperature extremes from 0 to 100 degrees which could cause expansion and contraction that might reveal cracks in the screen.

Also, I looked at those tempest enclosures and at first glance they seem like they will be way too expensive for my budget. I have considered building my own little "dog house" to house the projector and A/V equipment. The biggest challenge with that will probably be temparature controlled fans that will cool the enclosure.

Anybody got any suggestions for bqmeister & me?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-15-2008, 10:49 PM

OK, I didn't realize it, but there is a killer website dedicated strictly to outdoor home theaters at backyardtheater dot com - check it out. I've gotten a lot of good ideas just from browsing it for an hour or so.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-15-2008, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

The simple answer is yes - so long as the area is dark enough projection will work anywhere.

Dedicated? We live in Florida but in the Winter months I would be the ONLY family member or friend nutsy enough to sit out there watching a movie.

That's why we now and then like the novelty of sitting in the backyard at the bar or in the pool and watch a flick but to us Home Theater definition is the comfort of simulation of an indoor Cinema - maybe you could get auto bodies with plush seating and heaters and create a salute to the old drive-in theater. LOL!
goodluck
post #5 of 7 Old 09-04-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:

maybe you could get auto bodies with plush seating and heaters and create a salute to the old drive-in theater.

i like to have a home theater too but my house is not that big enough.
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2008, 03:26 PM

The Tempest Enclosure for my PJ is going to cost me $1,400 when you add in shipping. They're expensive but I want to be able to watch a movie outside as easily as I watch one inside so I'm going to bite the bullet and spend $1,400 to protect a $1,000 projector.

Watching a movie from a hot tub is great! Especially when it's snowing!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You could save about $1400 right off the bat.

I do agree with you that it should be easy to go full outdoor projector mode fairly seamlessly, (which is why my outdoor electronics is prewired and outdoor committed-including speakers). You might notice that there is no 'source' of video. That is provided either by a quick Xbox, tuner, laptop, or Ipod A/V connection. Note the non-hermetically sealed $10 Rubbermaid outdoor electronic gear protection.

You'll want your screen dedicated as well, and it'll help if it doesn't look like something thrown up in the slums of Delhi to watch the pirated version of Slumlord Millionaire.

Full set:
http://flickr.com/photos/timtimes/se...7603204872782/

Enjoy.

This ain't no upwardly mobile freeway, this is the road to hell.
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page