Building my first outdoor theatre...need projector advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-15-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all

I have a rooftop apartment in the city with a fairly huge private terrace. I'm planning on buying a DLP or LCD projector so that I can play movies (and more importantly, Rock Band :P) on my patio. But I'm nearly completely ignorant when it comes to projectors.

All I know is, because there are very few tall buildings in the neighbourhood, light pollution is not a huge factor, but the area will be far from pitch-black.

The patio is about 18 feet deep, and I would like to position it as far away from the wall as possible. (i.e. the full 18 feet.)

720p is preferable, but not not a huge concern.

Ideally, I'd like the projector to sit about 9 feet off the ground, to avoid people walking in front of it, but still operate right-side up as I will have no cieling onto which I'll be able to attach it But it's also not a huge concern.

In the end, I would like the image do be ~200" diagonal. (it's a big wall :P)

I'll be plugging in a DIVX DVD player and/or an xbox 360, so it needs to have at least component inputs. (VGA will do; I can just purchase the adapter

I found this one: http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...32&cid=333.249

Can anyone offer any advice?

Additionally, if anyone has a suitable projector to sell, I'd be interested in hearing about it. (I'm in Toronto.)

Many thanks to all

EDIT: I should prolly mention that money is indeed a concern I'm definitely looking for something used

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 11:24 PM

You may want to check this out. http://store.infocus.com/Stores/Cons...-26E7C8401A79}
It's a business projector but you can't beat it for the price.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:22 PM

I have the InFocus X2 and it does a pretty good job outside. Keep in mind that the larger you make the image the less bright it will be. I replaced the InFocus with a Dell 2400MP because the Dell is almost twice as bright. It's also $1,000 US so if price is an object it isn't what you're looking for.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:55 PM

Liked: 11
I use the Panasonic ax200, a 720p PJ that puts out a serious amount of light and is under $1k now. I use it on a 16' x 9' foot outdoor screen and it looks great.