Advice Needed on Outdoor Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-31-2009, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After several weeks of lurking and research, I think I'm ready to make some decisions on an outdoor projector and related set-up. Looking for any comments on this possible configuration.

I have an elevated deck that overlooks my patio. The top of the deck is at least 12 feet above the patio. I intend to suspend a 150" diagonal screen from the top of the deck and I'm considering the Elite 150" 16x9 manual screen that is shown here. http://www.elitescreens.com/pdf/dimension_manual.pdf. After researching DIY options, the portability, ease of storage and price led me to this option.

For the projector, I'm thinking about the Optoma 1691. Its a 720p projector that will throw a 150" picture at a distance of about 20 feet. I like the high lumens count for this projector and the fact that it has an hdmi input. The price is nice as well.

The projector will most often be located about 60-70 feet from my basement home theater. I intend to buy an equalized 75 foot HDMI cable from monoprice or one of the HDMI over cat-5 extenders to hook up my existing dvd player and directv receivers to the projector. Sound will be provided over my existing patio speakers (Klipsch AWS-650).

I can purchase all three of the products and stay under my self-imposed ceiling of $1000.

Comments? What, if anything, will I not be happy with? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-01-2009, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewie View Post

After several weeks of lurking and research, I think I'm ready to make some decisions on an outdoor projector and related set-up. Looking for any comments on this possible configuration.

I have an elevated deck that overlooks my patio. The top of the deck is at least 12 feet above the patio. I intend to suspend a 150" diagonal screen from the top of the deck and I'm considering the Elite 150" 16x9 manual screen that is shown here. http://www.elitescreens.com/pdf/dimension_manual.pdf. After researching DIY options, the portability, ease of storage and price led me to this option.

For the projector, I'm thinking about the Optoma 1691. Its a 720p projector that will throw a 150" picture at a distance of about 20 feet. I like the high lumens count for this projector and the fact that it has an hdmi input. The price is nice as well.

The projector will most often be located about 60-70 feet from my basement home theater. I intend to buy an equalized 75 foot HDMI cable from monoprice or one of the HDMI over cat-5 extenders to hook up my existing dvd player and directv receivers to the projector. Sound will be provided over my existing patio speakers (Klipsch AWS-650).

I can purchase all three of the products and stay under my self-imposed ceiling of $1000.

Comments? What, if anything, will I not be happy with? Thanks for any input.

I think you will be blown away by what you have. You may possibly be disappointed by the size of your screen - or look to upgrade that in the future, but I don't know what your space restrictions will be. Still, 150" is not too shabby.

I am blown away by what I have, and I have a DIY screen (17 feet wide) made from insulation board and white spandex (works great), and two garden "rock" speakers sending out the sound. Perhaps I am just too easy to please, though. Discerning tastes would probably want to go your route.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #3 of 9 Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks -- naturally, that's what I wanted to hear.

Unless I move off the patio, I think 150" is pretty close to my limit. But if this is as big a hit with the kids and the neighbors as I think it will be, maybe we'll go bigger in the future. If that's the case, I will need to settle on a diy design (shudders).

I considered making a joke about your 17 foot wide screen covered in spandex and my wife's work-out clothes but that would kill the whole project (and me) if she ever found out.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlewie View Post

Thanks -- naturally, that's what I wanted to hear.

Unless I move off the patio, I think 150" is pretty close to my limit. But if this is as big a hit with the kids and the neighbors as I think it will be, maybe we'll go bigger in the future. If that's the case, I will need to settle on a diy design (shudders).

I considered making a joke about your 17 foot wide screen covered in spandex and my wife's work-out clothes but that would kill the whole project (and me) if she ever found out.

Yeah - surprisingly, the spandex is phenomenal as a screen material. I took 4 4x8 sheets of insulation sheets, hinged together, painted white. Then draped the spandex over it. When the sheets are unfolded, the spandex stretches out, eliminating all wrinkles in the screen completely. The white paint conceals the somewhat translucent nature of the spandex. I had to add 1/2 foot to either side to fit in the brackets on my backyard fence posts.

You can buy very wide spandex material as well:

http://spandexhouse.com/products.asp...Nylon%20Tricot

This isn't exactly what I bought (I actually don't know if this is spandex, but what I bought does come in 108").

post #5 of 9 Old 04-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Hey Mlewie: this is a great site to read about pojetors and stuff.
But Before you build anything check out Backyardtheater.com
You will be glad you did,have funnnnnnnnnnnnnn
post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
dorasal beat me to it.

You'll get PLENTY of advice there and MANY MANY DIY ideas. Outdoor DIY screens are probably the easiet thing in the world. I've siad it in that thread a milliion times (as dorsal is probably well aware).....

People don't go to outdoor movies for the picture or sound quality...they go to have good time.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2009, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

dorasal beat me to it.

You'll get PLENTY of advice there and MANY MANY DIY ideas. Outdoor DIY screens are probably the easiet thing in the world. I've siad it in that thread a milliion times (as dorsal is probably well aware).....

People don't go to outdoor movies for the picture or sound quality...they go to have good time.

Yet, surprisingly, the quality of the picture and sound can be very good, even with simple DIY screens and cheapo speakers.

post #8 of 9 Old 04-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
BackyardTheater.com has some incredible ideas. I originally bought a projector for outdoor movies, after a neighbor had a showing and infected me with the bug. I use the projector indoor in the winter for movies and sports. Getting much more use out of the projector than I ever thought I would.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #9 of 9 Old 04-10-2009, 01:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I signed up for Backyard Theater but am still waiting to be approved. Hopeully I will be approved there shortly.

I just ordered a 12 foot outdoor inflatable screen about an hour ago and cant wait to get it.

Scott
SatelliteGuys.US / MultiChannel News
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page