How do I watch hi-def tv outside on a projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-05-2009, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm new to this hobby, so parden me if anything here is a silly question. I have the Gemmy inflatable screen, I've yet to purchase a projector. I think I'm really leaning towards the Epson Moviemate 72. I like the idea of not having to bring audio equip. outside and such. I really have 2 questions, if anyone aleady has this prj. Are the four 5 watt speakers loud enough to enjoy a movie, or do you think you should have gotten another projector and used audio equipment. Also, I would really wan't to watch hi-def sports outside on the projector. I know that the Epson has an HDMI port, and I have Comcast HD. Other than running a 100ft. hdmi cable (expensive) from my in the house Comcast box to the projector outside, or paying for another hd receiver for just outside summer use, are there any other ways to get HD TV outside. Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-05-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A couple of points:

You will HAVE to get external speakers. The speaker on the pj won't cut it.

I use Cat-5 cable with baluns on either end and run component video through the cat-5 and baluns to the projector. Works great, and you can run cat 5 long distances very inexpensively without much, if any, apparent degradation.

You would have to pay a bit for a balun, and you need two, actually, one on each end of the cat-5 cable. Do a search on component video baluns for more information.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #3 of 8 Old 05-05-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Steve, I'll look into that info. The wifes already spouting venem about buying the projector, I did'nt have the heart to mention the 100 ft. HDMI cable. At least if she boots me out I'll be able to watch the pj outside!
post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakamoso View Post

Are the four 5 watt speakers loud enough to enjoy a movie, or do you think you should have gotten another projector and used audio equipment.

Also, I would really wan't to watch hi-def sports outside on the projector. I know that the Epson has an HDMI port, and I have Comcast HD. Other than running a 100ft. hdmi cable (expensive) from my in the house Comcast box to the projector outside, or paying for another hd receiver for just outside summer use, are there any other ways to get HD TV outside.

I have the same screen and projector...

The proj speakers will work for a while -- but you will want more sound sooner or later. I addedpowered speakers that connect via the headphone jack -- right speaker connects to the proj and AC power, left speaker connects to the right speaker via speaker wire. A side benefit for me is that when not using the projector, I hook up my Zune to the speakers for music outside.

Another option for TV is to move the cable box when you need it. Instead of 100ft of HDMI, you use 100ft of RG6.

Enjoy the new system -- it is awesome -- you'll have a blast!
post #5 of 8 Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ericwe. I'm glad to hear that you have the same set up and enjoy it. The only question I have is, the cable that you suggested, will I still be able to get a good hi-def signal outside thru the 100ft cable, or does that cable only allow me to get standard def. I know if I move the Comcast box outside, I'd be able to connect the hdmi cable directly to the projector from the Comcast box, but not sure about the 100ft. cable. I would imagine that a standard tv signal on a screen the size of the Gemmy's might not look so great. Thanks for your feedback, I'm totally new to this, and not very tech savy, so any help is greatly appreciated!
post #6 of 8 Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakamoso View Post

The only question I have is, the cable that you suggested, will I still be able to get a good hi-def signal outside thru the 100ft cable, or does that cable only allow me to get standard def.

All depends on signal strength I would guess. You can easily test it by buying the 100ft RG6 ($13.22) and simply replace your current Wall Plate <--> DVR coax cable that is in place today and test the various channels without even having to move the DVR yet. If it works there, it'll work when you move the DRV. You could always add anamplifier in the path if you determine the cable length is causing low signal strength. I *think* this (using RG6 vs. HDMI) is the easiest solution to resolve - I've never tried an HDMI cable longer than 10ft.

The only issue I've had in some of my setups caused by "low" signal strength were some SDV (switched digital video) HD and SD channels on my cable system (Time Warner) to show as "Not currently available. Try again later." -- some creative splitter/amplifier placement resolved those.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-06-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again ericwe. I think I'll try out that cable first. By the way, sweet set up you have at your home. I saw the link to backyard theaters, that clip of the Gemmy with the Moviemate 72 playing the Incredibles, had me imaging my kids enjoying movies in the backyard. I can't wait. Thanks for all your input.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-07-2009, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Moving the box outside and using 100 coax should work fine.

In the alternative, check out monoprice or blue jeans cables for long HDMI cables. You may be surprised, especially if your only reference is what BB charges for their [brand name deleted because it always starts a flame war] cables.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page