Hooked - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After two *test* showings, had an official invited party to start things off.

Everyone that came was from the neighborhood and they were estatic that we got so many together. They even commented that they have told others in the neighborhood who were original owners what we were doing and they were extremely happy to see the neighborhood begin to be the way it was when they originally moved in. All, including myself, were blown away at how good the picture was. I was amazed to see my little projector put up such a large, sharp and dynamic picture. Had about 33 over, most of them kids, one neighbor making smores for everyone using our firepit and we can't wait to do it again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-19-2009, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice set up.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-19-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Very cool. Welcome to the club. I have only had two movies this year so far - two others have been rained out. Got our last one coming up on September 12th- Hotel for Dogs.

What Disney movie is that? I don't recognize it...

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #4 of 12 Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 52
Yes, welcome to the madness!

I think that movie is Bolt...

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys! Yep, it's "Bolt". Great movie but the low bass at the beginning about blew my speakers. The crowd laughed as I hurtled over lawn chairs to get to the amp to turn it down.

Hoping for a showing labor day weekend. I'd love to do it more often but I think if I do then either everyone will count on it happening or get bored of it.

Next time I want to make little perches on the screen frame to hold the speakers up higher.
post #6 of 12 Old 08-20-2009, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

Thanks guys! Yep, it's "Bolt". Great movie but the low bass at the beginning about blew my speakers. The crowd laughed as I hurtled over lawn chairs to get to the amp to turn it down.

Hoping for a showing labor day weekend. I'd love to do it more often but I think if I do then either everyone will count on it happening or get bored of it.

Next time I want to make little perches on the screen frame to hold the speakers up higher.

Huh, Bolt was one of the two movies we have done outside this year so far - but I don't remember that scene. However, I was having audio problems throughout the evening - problems with the bass were tripping my receiver into self-protect mode, so I was constantly fiddling with that.

post #7 of 12 Old 08-20-2009, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The scene is a brief moment after the first action sequence where they are filming the show. Staff come and pick up the *fake* cars and move them off of the set.

Wonder if the low bass was tripping something on your setup. I had to turn my sub down substantially compared to the other movies I've shown. Same went for my indoor system. Occasionally after that I would get a 'whop' from the amp clipping.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-21-2009, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner View Post

The scene is a brief moment after the first action sequence where they are filming the show. Staff come and pick up the *fake* cars and move them off of the set.

Wonder if the low bass was tripping something on your setup. I had to turn my sub down substantially compared to the other movies I've shown. Same went for my indoor system. Occasionally after that I would get a 'whop' from the amp clipping.

I have no idea - but through trial and error (lots of error), I have determined that it is a bass problem. One way that I have been able to compensate is to actually add a sub, which I didn't have before.

My system is thus: digital audio from my ps3 to an old Kenwood receiver to external audio volume controls to two sets of outdoor speakers - one in "front" by the screen and one on my deck, behind us. Perhaps I don't have the volume controls set right, or whatever, but on certain scenes in certain movies - especially during scenes with a lot of bass, my receiver trips into self protect mode. At first, I could control it by telling my receiver there was a sub, but then that made everything sound "tinny" - so I now bring my sub outdoors for the show. It makes a huge difference, as the low rumble is pretty cool outdoors. So now, in certain scenes, instead of permanently tripping my receiver, my audio will "black out" during those low bass scenes, and then come back a few seconds later. At least it doesn't trip permanently during the middle of my movies!

I simply do not have the expertise to figure out where in the system I am having the problem.

post #9 of 12 Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way - I love your "natural barrier" stone wall that, I am sure, keeps kids away from your pj and on the patio. My setup has the pj table right in the middle of the where everyone sets up there blankets/chairs - so when I switch the pj on, I have a crowd of little people (and their grubby hands) all around my pj. Makes me a bit nervous.

post #10 of 12 Old 08-21-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Same here. At my first showing I had the speaker dust covers poked in. Wish I had seen who did it.

Hard to understand your setup from your description but your volume control should be before the receiver/amp. Shouldn't your old Kenwood be able to handle the volume without an external volume control?
post #11 of 12 Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

By the way - I love your "natural barrier" stone wall that, I am sure, keeps kids away from your pj and on the patio. My setup has the pj table right in the middle of the where everyone sets up there blankets/chairs - so when I switch the pj on, I have a crowd of little people (and their grubby hands) all around my pj. Makes me a bit nervous.

I bought a piece of Tapeze Plus from Dazian and now do rear projection. Everything is out of the way. Now I just enjoy the show.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #12 of 12 Old 09-15-2009, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Small update: Added speaker perches up on the frame so that everyone could hear the movie better. It worked really well. Also made a simple equipment stand with wheels and put wheels on the subwoofer. Worked out nicely and made setup and break down faster.

Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page