I knew that I wanted the material at least partially fixed to the frame. I found it much easier to work with my last screen because of this, so I wanted to continue that. In this design, the sides would be fixed, with the material attached to the frame.
I had used the grommets before, and then screwed through the grommet into the frame, but those other grommets were the ones you had to punch out and hammer, etc... not impossible, but I wanted to try something new. So, at Menards I found these tarp clamps.
Basically, you install the clamp, then slide the material over the clamp, and then slide the other half of the clamp over the material. They have been around a while, nothing brand new, but not sure I've seen them used this way before and thought it might work out well.
So, here is attaching the first part, called a dogbone.
I used four dogbones per side. The screen is about 9.5' feet tall, and this seemed like plenty, after use it was just fine.
Next, I slid the material over the dogbones, and slid the second half of the clamp onto both the material and dogbone. Pretty easy here, the only key is to make sure the material stays lined up, but that is pretty straightforward.
Here is a close shot of the whole thing, after install. I didn't get an angle on it, but there are two screws going through the plastic and material, into the PVC to hold it tight.
I then went and repeated this on the other side. I pulled the material nice and tight (the frame is assembled under the material while doing this part, and attached the other four clamps. It went nice and easy. Since there is a little bit of give in the material, especailly being 22 feet wide, I can pull the frame apart with just a bit of effort.
After that, the screen frame is done. So I disassembled it and got it ready to take down to the spot where we watch the movies. Basically, the horizontal pipes come apart, and the rest is fixed. Here it is fully disassembled.
I'll come back with some shots of the back, and how the ropes connect back there behind the screen. I don't have those on the same camera so I still have to download them. I hope some of you have enjoyed this and maybe got an idea or two...