Need the perfect suggestion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-08-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Goodafternoon!

I have searched up and down these threads but can't really find a answer for my situation... maybe someone can help me. I work for a lighting company and my boss utilizes me for all of his computer, tech, and A&V needs. I currently am working on his outdoor meeting, party, blah blah blah area... This past halloween we had a pretty nice party. We rented a BenQ SP7 series at 5000 lumens, 4:3, so on so forth. We had the projector setup on the roof, the total throw needed is about 30-30.5', because the throw goes over his pool onto his back fence. He had built a frame and stapled spandex material onto the frame. Anyways back to my main point::

The Paciuao vs Cotto fight is coming up and he told me to find the perfect projector to buy instead of rent because he said renting is becoming too much. Here is the scene:

fairly large back yard, swimming pool with the nornal pool lighting, minimal ambient lighting, and landscape lighting that would be turned off during the use of the projector. It would be at night.
Throw must be at least 30 feet, bright, 16:9 ratio, and im guessing about 4k lumens

I am trying to find a nice projector for this situation, great quality for the right price, if anyone could give me suggestions that would be great!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So first, what size screen and can the projector be placed at the 30' mark? These are going to be the first two important things to know to try and find a projector.

Also does the boss want 720 or 1080 or is SD ok.

Chris
post #3 of 4 Old 11-08-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the screen size is 8 foot tall, whatever the width its 16:9 f0ormat i dont have a screen calc. and he wants 1080p
post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Ok, so your looking at a screen of about 8' x 14.5'.

Realistically, unless your have lots of ambient light to battle you don't need at PJ of 4000 lumens. I run a business doing outdoor movies and use a 2400 lumen projector on a 9' x 16' screen, 720p, and produce an awsome picture that wows people.

But if the boss wants 4000 lumens you could look at the Mitsubishi FL6900U. THis is a 1080p projector, 4000 lumens, that needs 32' throw to fill that screen size. It also has vert and horizontal lens shift in case you can't get centered. Street price is around $10K.

If you can go smaller I would look at the Optoma TX1080. This is 3600 lumens but has no lens shift, so your going to have to get center or close to. With its lens your also going to need be close to 30', any more and your going to be projecting bigger then your screen. I really like Optoma products though. Street Cost is around $2500

My number one choice would be the Sanyo PDG-DHT-100L. This is a 6,500 lumen projector with great contrast. MSRP is $20,000, but with some work you can get it and the standard lens for around $11,000. Little bit more expensive then the Mitsu but MUCH better unit and alot brighter. This is the projector I use on my 30' screen, its simply an awsome projector.

Lots of other choices as well, all depends on what you want to spend. Check on Projector Central for additional help at looking at the PJ's I mentioned or at others I didn't.

Chris
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page