Just ordered!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-20-2010, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dell 1610HD PJ and Da-Lite Fast Fold Rear Pj Screen, 6' x 9'. Very Excited.

Native WXGA 1280x800, 3500 Lumens.

Hoping for use when the sun passes over the house and the garage is in the shadows...we shall see.

Monoprice order topped $80 for the cables and parts. Gotta run HDMI from the satellite receiver to the wall for sports...and a component cable to the bathroom at the same time to get that tv up to HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-22-2010, 12:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Congrats and welcome to the madness!

Be sure to post pics, and give your thoughts on the "daytime" viewing.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-23-2010, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

I built a projector mount out of discarded satellite dish parts last night. Need to get the PJ to fabricate a mounting plate to connect the two. The beauty of this design is that I can use the dish adjustments to move the PJ up and out of the way when not in use.

UPDATE: My PJ is on the truck headed for my house today! The screen should have shipped yesterday. My ceiling mount is coming along. I have decided to use aluminum plate for the PJ mount and am shearing it to size and welding some channel along the sides to slide the PJ into. I will drill a couple of holes so I can drop a couple of clevis pins into the assembly to lock the PJ in place when in use. That way it is quick and easy to remove.

I have run HDMI and data to the wall in the garage for satellite and Internet access. Still need to fish the speaker wire through the ceiling in the garage, though. I ran out of time last weekend as I also pulled a component cable up through the wall from the basement into the master bathroom for the tv there. The excitement is building...
post #4 of 19 Old 03-03-2010, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

My ceiling mount...two old satellite masts and a bit of aluminum plate. The idea is that the PJ is very quickly and easily installed/removed from the mount. This will be installed in my garage and I have a woodshop out there and don't want to take chances in a hostile environment.
Attachment 168801

Attachment 168802

Attachment 168803

Attachment 168804

Attachment 168805
The business end is made from .100 aluminum plate, the PJ slides into the frame and locks in place with two clevis pins. Simple and secure.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #5 of 19 Old 03-04-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Not fully installed, but screen came and i couldn't wait - even though it was 40 degrees...
LL
post #6 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Blu-Ray Player arrives tomorrow. Have new chairs and a shiny new patio (err, driveway) heater...if only the snow would melt away.

I still need to finish the full installation. Wires are pulled and almost fully terminated, ran out of connectors. Need to make the last few connections, commit the ceiling mount to its final location (waiting to do that to decide if I am going to fabricate a hanging system to suspend the screen from the torsion bar rather than use the legs supplied by Da-Lite...). I am thinking that is the slicker way to go. Thoughts?
post #7 of 19 Old 03-23-2010, 03:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Looking good. I really want to see the daytime pics...

I'd go with the no legs option, I agree it would be more slick looking.

post #8 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Daytime isn't good, but I expected that, I didn't play with the brightness on the PJ yet...may be able to bring it up a bit. I also may be able to enhance things by blocking out the sides of the opening with curtains of some sort. I am working out the details of my torsion bar hangers and probably need to add some bearings to strengthen the bar. Once that is complete, I can hang some curtains from it as well.

Speakers are wired and hopefully by the weekend the ceiling mount will be up. I tested the wiring last night and all is well.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

You know, a thought, if you're willing. You can make an actual false wall that covers the whole garage opening. You could hinge it and then put the screen in. If you have a window in the garage, you can block off that window.

Almost like an oriental screen design. Make it black plywood that folds open on hinges (with some simple supports on the inside of the garage to hold it in place. Leave a big hole for the screen, put your framed screen in the hole.

You could put the whole thing on casters (just give 1/4" or so to roll) and then you don't have to lift anything. Roll the false wall to the garage door, expand it, maybe lock the hinges in place, put the screen in, and done. (Sounds so easy here... hehe...)

Of course if the sun shines on the screen it won't work, but it will definately help.

post #10 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

You know, a thought, if you're willing. You can make an actual false wall that covers the whole garage opening. You could hinge it and then put the screen in. If you have a window in the garage, you can block off that window.

Almost like an oriental screen design. Make it black plywood that folds open on hinges (with some simple supports on the inside of the garage to hold it in place. Leave a big hole for the screen, put your framed screen in the hole.

You could put the whole thing on casters (just give 1/4" or so to roll) and then you don't have to lift anything. Roll the false wall to the garage door, expand it, maybe lock the hinges in place, put the screen in, and done. (Sounds so easy here... hehe...)

Of course if the sun shines on the screen it won't work, but it will definately help.

If only...it's a great idea. Sadly, with two kids, and my tools...there's way too much "crap" in the way. Would be cool, though. I do intend to build speaker stands on rollers, though. I would have to move them completely out of the way and don't have any space to store them.

I like the concept, though and will cipher on it a while. I am sure to come up with something.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Do what I did, plastic black sheeting

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #12 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirkMonster View Post

... Sadly, with two kids, and my tools...there's way too much "crap" in the way. ....

Wait, you store your kids in the garage?

post #13 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 07:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor-eyd View Post

Do what I did, plastic black sheeting

Victor

Looks like a good solution. How much light do those block?

post #14 of 19 Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Looks like a good solution. How much light do those block?

enough to be watchable. Realize this was for night viewing, not late afternoon. For that you should block off the entire garage area where the projector is from ceiling to floor.

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #15 of 19 Old 03-25-2010, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

That's the idea, Victor. I am placing my screen in the center of an 18' door (due to the placement of a ceiling fan in the garage more than anything else). I will need two curtains. My screen is 6' tall in a 7' opening, so, I may not block off the bottom of the screen, or fasten something to the frame and stretch it across...we'll see. I am thinking of using simple hooks off the torsion bar, since I have now found the supports I was looking for. Either that or, I will install small hooks into the header above the door...maybe add some grommets to make it hang right.

It's coming together.
post #16 of 19 Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Wait, you store your kids in the garage?

Doesn't everybody?

Girk, looking forward to seeing the final product.
post #17 of 19 Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYTInfo View Post

How are you finding the Dell projector? Nice lumen output.

I am happy with it. I finally found a source for some clopay torsion bar support brackets and have them installed, so my next project is to fab two aluminum brackets to hang the screen from the torsion bar...I also have two black curtains that will hang on either side to block any light from getting into the garage and make things a bit more attractive. I won't say that I can use it in daytime, but dusk is doable for Wii. I haven't got the curtains up to see if that improves things any, but did bump the brightness up and that helped a lot.

I got sidetracked with a broken water heater and patio door replacement project that stretched me a little thin.
post #18 of 19 Old 04-25-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a couple of 54" sun-blocking black curtains and hung them from PVC. They are just about the perfect width to fill in either side of the screen and hang from the torsion bar.

I have started fabrication on my hanging brackets to allow me to hang the screen from the torsion bar rather than use the legs. The weather and my water heater/back door have not been cooperative and I haven't been able to set the system up in order to get the precise location for the mounting holes on the brackets, so for now, they are simply some long strips of aluminum with hooks on one end...once they are drilled, i should be finished with my construction for the summer!

I also bought an aluminum tool case from Lowe's and am using that as a projector case. Works great and only $25.

Speakers are back in action and sound as good as new.
post #19 of 19 Old 05-24-2010, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Weather finally cleared up long enough to break out the gear...Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (an impromptu Redbox selection). Spent WAAAYYYY too long sweeping sawdust out of the garage from the patio door debacle (another story...).

The curtains looked pretty, but the experiment in blocking ambient light from entering the garage to boost daytime output is a (predictable) failure. I'm in Kansas City and the rig was usable at about 8:20. Probably gained 20 minutes or so.

Got my brackets finished so the screen hangs from the torsion bar. The neighbors had a great time. Our first 'official' movie night is yet to come. This was unplanned.

Lesson learned: wind is my enemy. The curtain blew into the garage door sensor, causing the lights on the opener to come on...removed the bulbs. Do I move the sensors out of the way? (i.e. put them together out of the way so that they no longer impact the theater, and in the process defeat the door obstruction feature? If I didn't have young kids, I would have done that initially...for now, I'll remove the bulbs during setup).

Speakers sounded fantastic. Really glad I repaired the original drivers vs. replacing them. Patio heater was a nice touch, too.

Bring on summer!
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page