Backlit screen material suggestion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-27-2010, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

Does anyone have any suggestions on screen material for an image from a projector placed behind the screen? I'm brainstorming theater ideas near a pool and would rather have the projector as far from the water as possible.

Cost and durability is more of an issue than highest fidelity.

Thanks!

FF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-27-2010, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dazian has a material called Trapeze that a lot of people use for rear projection (myself included). It's similar to spandex. I have a 720p PJ I use with a bluray player on a 12'x5' (2.4:1 aspect) and it looks incredible.

I left it up outside for three months last year. Took it down and washed it. Spread it out to air dry and was ready this summer. I have a couple of small holes (my fault) that have not run or gotten bigger. They are not visible during a show, and I am one to look at the screen as much as the movie. There are several versions, Trapeze, Trapeze Plus, Plus 2 (stain repellent), Plus 3 (water repellent), Plus Colors (two shades of gray available). Costs a little more but very durable and looks great.

http://www.dazian.com/cgi-bin/page.p...gory&cat_id=38

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #3 of 7 Old 07-27-2010, 06:33 AM

I use the Da-Lite Fast-Fold frame and Da-Tex rear projection screen. It literally sets up in minutes with just one person. Takes a little longer to put away, but that is due to the care taken to fold the screen. My screen is 6' x 9' many other sizes are available, larger requires heavy duty legs that I did not purchase.

You can find them on ebay. I bought from focused technology. Very happy with the performance.

1" square aluminum tubing for the frame.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Well, don't LOL too hard, but when I ran Hallowindows last year, I displayed mine on the back of a translucent shower curtain from Target. Durable, water proof, cheap, and worked quite well for the intended purpose.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-28-2010, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adult Beverage View Post

Dazian has a material called Trapeze that a lot of people use for rear projection (myself included). It's similar to spandex. I have a 720p PJ I use with a bluray player on a 12'x5' (2.4:1 aspect) and it looks incredible.

...There are several versions, Trapeze, Trapeze Plus, Plus 2 (stain repellent), Plus 3 (water repellent), Plus Colors (two shades of gray available). Costs a little more but very durable and looks great.

http://www.dazian.com/cgi-bin/page.p...gory&cat_id=38

Thanks for the reply. Does the fabric have any mounting aids such as grommets or a sleeve at one end or is it just a raw, flat sheet? Any color recommendations? Looks like a good fit for my idea.

Thank You.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I believe you can get it "finished" from Dazian, but the cost is several times more than the cost of the raw material. The cut fabric doesn't run so hemming isn't needed. Most people who use it (myself included) wrap the ends of the raw material around the frame. Creative Shelters has clips designed to snap on EMT and PVC frames to hold material like this. Home Depot/Lowes has gripping clamps to use as well. What type and size frame are you considering? BackyardTheater.com has a number of people who have screens by their pools.

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Cano...ric-Clips.aspx

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...2&ddkey=Search

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
post #7 of 7 Old 07-28-2010, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

AB, et al:

I was thinking of running a cable between two trees, with the screen held in tension horizontally at the top and diagonally out at the bottom, negating the need to build a frame. I was thinking of a screen 10'x15'.

Do most use white for the screen surface? Or some other color?

Thanks
FF
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page