Projector throw: Over swimming pool or not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone!
I am currently installing an inground swimming pool and I need to figure out my projector placement so that during pool construction, I can get my power and A/V cabling run to the right place. Below is a pic of what it should look like finished.

I need help determining where to put the screen and the PJ. I don't want a huge screen (will be DIY), but would like 16:9 aspect....maybe somewhere around 140" up to 190". The pool is 18' wide, so if I throw across the pool to where I have the screen now we're talking close to a 30' throw. The only other option is to go rear projection and keep the pj behind the screen (which would protect the equipment from splashing). Or I guess I could put the screen in a completely different spot too. Bottom line, the equipment needs to be as far away from the pool as possible (splash protection), but I also want to enjoy movie watching FROM the pool.

Thoughts on screen/projector placement? Will rear projection limit my projector choices?

Oh yeah, I'm cheaper than cheap so don't want to spend money on a projector. Maybe $500 used.

Thanks in advance!
-Bryan
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-17-2011, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcobb1 View Post

Hello everyone!
I am currently installing an inground swimming pool and I need to figure out my projector placement so that during pool construction, I can get my power and A/V cabling run to the right place. Below is a pic of what it should look like finished.

I need help determining where to put the screen and the PJ. I don't want a huge screen (will be DIY), but would like 16:9 aspect....maybe somewhere around 140" up to 190". The pool is 18' wide, so if I throw across the pool to where I have the screen now we're talking close to a 30' throw. The only other option is to go rear projection and keep the pj behind the screen (which would protect the equipment from splashing). Or I guess I could put the screen in a completely different spot too. Bottom line, the equipment needs to be as far away from the pool as possible (splash protection), but I also want to enjoy movie watching FROM the pool.

Thoughts on screen/projector placement? Will rear projection limit my projector choices?

Oh yeah, I'm cheaper than cheap so don't want to spend money on a projector. Maybe $500 used.

Thanks in advance!
-Bryan

You can easily do that (meaning a long 30 foot throw), and it looks like lots of fun and a great place. Last summer I was running an Epson HD71 on a massive screen, and the projector was about 45 feet away from the screen.

Rear projection won't really limit you on your projector choices, but will limit you on screen materials. You'll need to make sure the material you use is transparent enough that your image is good and bright on the front. You also need to think about hotspotting. If the projector is shooting right onto the center of the screen, you don't want to see that bright bulb shining through, so to speak. That's why the material and projector placement with the rear projection is a bit more to consider.

Putting the projector 30 feet away should be fine though; outdoor isn't the same as indoor, the fun big experience outside outweighs the perfection we tend to seek inside.

BTW, I have a handful of used projectors I'm getting rid of, if you do want a used something or other, feel free to PM me.

Enjoy! And post pics when you get it all done!

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-22-2011, 06:24 PM

Whoa!! Your putting on an outdoor theater.. Wow!! It's nice to watch movie while in the pool especially at night.. That's what you call relaxing to the highest level.. I'm sure all your stress will be gone when you come home from work then you'll watch a movie and have swimming. How I wish I can make one like that too.. I'm jealous.. Lol!!

If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button. :p
yahoo merchant solutions|cubical
post #4 of 5 Old 03-31-2011, 06:13 PM

OMG I love it! We have projected a movie up to the side of our house on 4 white sheets but that was about it for us. You're taking this to a whole new level.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-16-2011, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Been a while since I've posted, but thanks for all th compliments and well wishes! Still a work in progress for now!
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page