How is 20' throw with Epson 8350 outdoors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-13-2011, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another newbie here. I am contemplating an outdoor throw of some 19-20' from an Epson 8350 which appears a good bet for a projector under $1300. I can't really shorten the distance due to logistics of my deck, and the fence in which I will mount a proposed electric screen (weather protected). I plan to use this application primarily at night during the summer watching HD sports and TV while lounging outside near our pool area. During the winter, all will be brought inside, so flexibility of this Epson 8350 LCD appears logical. Question...I read so much about diminished brightness and picture quality as you lengthen the throw, I was hoping that someone had experience in verifying if this is significant with the Epson 8350 at 20' as well as suggesting an appropriate and affordable electric screen approx 11' x 6' high. All I seem to see, is an excellent image at 13-14', but concerned about grainy or dark image at 20'. Can someone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good question as I have the Epson 8100 and will be trying something similar. I am going to be trying to setup a Gemmy 12' screen I bought and will probably being shooting across an in-ground pool due to the layout of my backyard. This is looking like a 30' -35' throw from the planned projector location to the screen. Probably wont work very well but I don't see very many other options.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #3 of 14 Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

how funny you are trying this, as my first option was to try exactly what you are doing with a 30' throw over the pool, but I assumed much to far for a great picture so I am now polling the forum just 20' away from the fence instead. Keep me posted on your test!!! Sounds like we have the same house.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Most people are surprised by the distances you can get away with outside. For the last two summers I was using an Optoma HD71 to light up a 22.5 foot wide scope screen, and the projector was roughly 45 feet away from the screen.

I got the HD71 just for that use, because it is bright. According to the numbers, it should have looked bad. However, everyone, myself included, was shocked by how good it looked under those circumstances. I even had some other AVS folks over to enjoy and they were also surprised.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gawkman3 View Post

how funny you are trying this, as my first option was to try exactly what you are doing with a 30' throw over the pool, but I assumed much to far for a great picture so I am now polling the forum just 20' away from the fence instead. Keep me posted on your test!!! Sounds like we have the same house.

Yes could be lol, I can say that for this past winter I was using the Epson inside shooting at about 18' away to a white wall and was very impressed. I look forward to some better weather in the next month to get started on setting things up outside. I think some sort of screen to project from behind would work but don't think the Epson is capable of that.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." - Bruce Lee
post #6 of 14 Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

you know...I was just thinking...maybe the best screen option attached to the fence would be the WilsonArt laminate matte 60 white I read about on this forum. What could be more waterproof than laminate?
post #7 of 14 Old 04-29-2011, 07:10 PM

I have a Epson 8350 and was planning a outdoor theater event and was wondering if you guys figured out if this projector can throw 20+ feet? If so what setting did you guys use. Thanks GD
post #8 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 AM

thinking about an outdoor setup too and also have an Epson 8350
will be using an old Da-Lite screen that i got from a garage sale for $7
it is only 60" diag but good for a first test
post #9 of 14 Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't tried it yet as the weather here in Central NY sucks. I am planning for a Memorial Day family BBQ and if the weather is nice I will be trying to setup the outdoor screen and projector.

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

post #10 of 14 Old 05-11-2011, 07:25 AM

Liked: 11
I started down the same path last year....you should be fine with a Epson 8350 (which I own) depending on how much light you have in your backyard at night. I did a test the other day with the porch lights on and fire pit going.

I found screen material on ebay for $60 delivered. Might pull the trigger in the next few weeks. The auction even references these forums. I'm not sure the rules on posting links so just search:

9'x12' Projector Screen Material (Blackout Cloth)
post #11 of 14 Old 06-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Just thought I would update that the Epson 8100 performed perfectly outside over Memorial Day weekend. I sadly forgot to take some picks but can say that the picture was plenty bright enough and would dare to say I could have moved the projector back a bit more and still would have great results. I was setup about 24' from the screen shooting over the pool. Now I caught the "how to make it better" bug

Xbox Live- DragonsLee

post #12 of 14 Old 06-30-2011, 06:16 PM

If you are interested on how the image will look at 20+ feet. I can tell you from personal experience. The Epson 8350 puts out a spectacular image on my outdoor screen and it is a distance of 29 feet. I bought a screen from Carl's place and it is amazing.

I dream in HiDef.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
don't people use a cheapo SUPER high lumen output 720P instead of a nice 1080p with medium output comparitvely?

I can understand if you do not want to buy an exclusive outside PJ, I certainly do not.

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #14 of 14 Old 07-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I use a 720P projector and am quite happy with it. I bought it for outdoor use then realized that paired with a good DIY screen, it looked great inside as well. It now does double duty since I don't want to buy another PJ right now. At some point I will upgrade to 1080P for inside and the 720P will be for outdoors.

Infamous last words: "Hold my beer. Watch this!"
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page