Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 136 Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
finally found a measuring tape and this wall:

measures 15'W x 8'H. it actually measures bigger but an 8x15 frame should do nicely here. now i know those vinyl tarps come in 10'Hx20'W sections, so i'll have some excess i need to fold around with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 136 Old 09-03-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I can haz Blu-Ray and HD DVD outdoor movie party?!??

YES!!
post #33 of 136 Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 298
With your cement block walls you could easily make a wire frame for a BOC cloth screen like I did on my logsiding garage wall.

Once the wire frame is up, which I leave on year round as stainless hardware, takes just 15 minutes to hang the screen.
Seemless, invisible.

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/in...?topic=4331.15

Concept:

Result:

video clip of screen details:
post #34 of 136 Old 09-07-2011, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Had 6 outdoor movie nights this entire summer. This past weekend was a doozy! Prince in Pirple Rain on HD DVD and Burlesque on DVD for my wife's "Ladies Night" on Saturday (did not attend), and Rio on Blu-Ray and Sucker Punch on Blu-Ray on Sunday night.

Finally relaxing these upcoming few weekends. The next major event will be the Halloween Show on the Saturday before Halloween. Before that I'll squeeze in a video game night and try to do a Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-Ray night. Or rather, 2 consecutive Star Wars nights with 3 movies each night. Trying to find the star wars christmas special as an entertaining segue betwix the movies LOL. might just have to YouTube it.

Definitely getting better at having people over. This time easily had 50 people at Sunday nights' event. Note to self: label the recyclable trashcans and it will avoid me having to dig through the regular trash cans the next day.
post #35 of 136 Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

With your cement block walls you could easily make a wire frame for a BOC cloth screen like I did on my logsiding garage wall.

Once the wire frame is up, which I leave on year round as stainless hardware, takes just 15 minutes to hang the screen.

Result:

Very impressive..... MOST IMPRESSIVE!

I thought BOC ONLY CAME IN 54" wide rolls via the local craftware shop! May I have your source good sir? The eyelet idea I had as well but instead of a wire through them then the screen to that wire(?) ... I was all like... WOAH! This method could almost be done on my wall except for the part with the window. And then making the entire screen smaller just for that window, well then, it just really smallifies the screens' size.

If I could get rid of the security bars and lower the projected image height "a tad" I may be able to pull this off though... let me get ur BOC source and BTW do they hem those eyelets in for you or was that done afterwards?
post #36 of 136 Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Face View Post

Very impressive..... MOST IMPRESSIVE!

I thought BOC ONLY CAME IN 54" wide rolls via the local craftware shop! May I have your source good sir? The eyelet idea I had as well but instead of a wire through them then the screen to that wire(?) ... I was all like... WOAH! This method could almost be done on my wall except for the part with the window. And then making the entire screen smaller just for that window, well then, it just really smallifies the screens' size.

If I could get rid of the security bars and lower the projected image height "a tad" I may be able to pull this off though... let me get ur BOC source and BTW do they hem those eyelets in for you or was that done afterwards?

I used "Carl's Place", very good prices and delivery.
My grommets were brass, I sent him a note about black grommets, he's now using them. They come as part of the screen.
http://www.carlofet.com/finished-projector-screens.html

When I'm done for the season, the screen is rolled on a carpet roll and stored in the basement utility room
post #37 of 136 Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes I've now read through your BYT thread. Nice setup btw, what kind of lights do u use behind the people area btw? I saw 3 lights.

In another but of semi-important news I dig around Craigslist and some is giving away a bleacher-like riser(s). Have it set to pick them up today afterwork. Theyre 2 8ft long by 5ft deep wooden risers. The first lower level is 10in from ground level then the second level is 15.5" from ground. I'm told each level holds approx 5 chairs so that be 20 chairs raised in a bleacher like config.... sports events are now a super for sure must! Pics when I got em!
post #38 of 136 Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Face View Post

Yes I've now read through your BYT thread. Nice setup btw, what kind of lights do u use behind the people area btw? I saw 3 lights.

In another but of semi-important news I dig around Craigslist and some is giving away a bleacher-like riser(s). Have it set to pick them up today afterwork. Theyre 2 8ft long by 5ft deep wooden risers. The first lower level is 10in from ground level then the second level is 15.5" from ground. I'm told each level holds approx 5 chairs so that be 20 chairs raised in a bleacher like config.... sports events are now a super for sure must! Pics when I got em!

Tiki torches! They glow orange because these picts are a composite of a 10 second image as the base, then a 1/2 second image for just the screen is overlayed onto it. Impossible to get both properly exposed in a single image, this is only way.
I also put orange cones by the rear surround speaker wires so nobody trips on them. The front wires are covered by carpet runners.

btw, your soon having tiered seating! Cool.
Here in Michigan our viewing season is limited because at 43 deg latitude the sun sets much later than where you are, about 1 hour later.....

ex:
Quote:

The following information is provided for Howell, Livingston County, Michigan (longitude W83.9, latitude N42.6):

Thursday
8 September 2011 Eastern Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:39 a.m.
Sunrise 7:08 a.m.
Sun transit 1:33 p.m.
Sunset 7:58 p.m.
End civil twilight 8:27 p.m.

Quote:

The following information is provided for Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, California (longitude W118.4, latitude N34.1):

Thursday
8 September 2011 Pacific Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:06 a.m.
Sunrise 6:32 a.m.
Sun transit 12:51 p.m.
Sunset 7:10 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:35 p.m.

via this handy website: http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astron.../rs-one-day-us
post #39 of 136 Old 09-09-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yae or nae?
It's an 8oz popcorn maker. With a heat lamp to keep everything warm. This price is with bottom section (with wheels)

post #40 of 136 Old 09-09-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Get it, my parents got us the 8oz as a gift, we never eat micro popcorn anymore. Also we use coconut oil.
post #41 of 136 Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

It's at the LA County Fair, so I have till the end of the month to go back.... I forgot to mention they also have a commercial hot dog roller for 8 wieners for $100..... dang!
post #42 of 136 Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did you get it?

I love reading these threads. They are just like the dedicated theater build forums. Everyone starts off with a simple setup and it grows and grows.

Having just moved this summery I'm still trying to figure out the neighborhood and how they will take it.

I keep trying to figure out how I improve the image AND have one of the fastest setups without making it permanent.
post #43 of 136 Old 09-19-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

have to be honest and money is tighter than a brick wall right now. im still on Craigslist under "Adult Services" but no catchs right now (LOL j/k). to be honest also, we only have 1 maybe 2 outdoor showings this year. this popcorn maker would ideally be used for outdoors and i couldnt imagine us using this year-round indoors. let me switch to geico first and see if i can nab it soon.

i've found a suitable spot outdoors towards the rear of the property with concrete for flooring... why is this suitable??? FOR THIS:

same pic but with flash showing wall. nevermind the crap.

in-action shot

this area is now poifect for kinect/rockband/guitar hero
post #44 of 136 Old 09-19-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

btw that junk to the right through the doorway... thats a super super early sneak peak into the Futurez Ciné-Tronn. thats the dedicated indoor theater. im telling ya... 2-3 years on Craigslist and im in the MONEIS!
post #45 of 136 Old 10-07-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

damn. i got free gift cards from work. got them all from Wal-Mart (the best of the crap they had available). i have enough to buy one of them inflatable screens. it maxes out at 149". i might regret it and have screen envy of mtdudex's screen... have a couple of days before cards get here so i'll contemplate it.

so i was filly-farting around the internet today when i noticed on engadget they're showing off the upcoming Popcorn Hour models.... WHY HAVENT I HEARD OF THESE MACHINES YET!??!?! the ps3 does ok streaming (wired is best, wireless is the balls). im starting to get alot of MKV files and half the time the ps3 wont do it. 2 bills aint that bad if the thing works. i may craiglist it (i frequent there) and search for an older model.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/07/p...the-movies-st/
post #46 of 136 Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

setup an oct 29th (sat) halloween movie screening event. picked 3 movies. first is dawn of the dead (2004), second is Poltergeist, and third is The Exorcist.

i would say 80% of the responders so far are asking to replace most if not all the movies with some kid friendly faire. im kinda torn cause if i stick with my choices, most will not come. if i change it, they all have kids, they'll be leaving by the middle of the second movie anyways! fffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

the other 20% love it though.
post #47 of 136 Old 12-13-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ITS HERE!!!!! ITS HERE!!!

my 9x16 screen from Carls Place! now i need a frame! :/

have to design a multipurpose frame. the immediate outer frame around the screen will be more permanent. however this frame would have to be able to be transported to various locations (friends and families houses). at home i would have to have 3 mounting solutions. one solution will be a simple "hanging" from the eaves method. thus only the frame would be needed. this will be for small audiences.

for larger audiences, i would have to have a footing "free-standing" solution. im thinking concrete molds in the ground with pvc pipes and leg extensions added to the bottom of the frame would be nice.

a third "mobile party" solution would include the leg extensions for the screen frame and some support brackets plus guide wires and such. this'll be the default for partys away from home.

ultimately.... i have no f'n clue what im doing! :/

thinking of having a final xmas showing this upcoming saturday but not sure this frame will be setup by then!

INTERNETZ.... GRANT ME YOUR POWER!!
post #48 of 136 Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 146
subscribing!

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #49 of 136 Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

^nice!

found another online source for canopy fittings

http://www.canopymart.com/
recommend watching the "videos".... 0.0

their pricing is ok, but the real reason i mention them is cause the have an actual retail location. avoid shipping costs here:

http://canopykits.com/

they are located in Paramount, CA.

-----------------------

parts update:

0° straight connectors (x4), "T" connectors (x2) will be bought tonight at the canopy kits retail location.

10' emt conduit (x7), 90° right angle corners (x2), 8" ball bungees (x50), pipe cutter (x1) all on order. will be picked up saturday morning.

i'll spend the afternoon assembling the frame, mounting the screen, and diggin up 2 18" holes in the yard. each hole will have a 17" piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe set inside an 18" round concrete form. just enough of each PVC pipe will stick out above ground level so as to allow a cap to prevent water. this can be finished sunday.

saturday night however, THERE WILL BE MOVIES PLAYED OUTSIDE! once i have the frame set and the screen on it, i will mount 2 wall hooks onto the facia boards of our rear bedroom. then its a simple matter of hooking the frame unto the hooks! then the tiedowns buts thats all secondary.
post #50 of 136 Old 12-16-2011, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I used "Carl's Place", very good prices and delivery.
http://www.carlofet.com/finished-projector-screens.html[/url]

i'd like to point out that cause of these pictures and your thread and your youtube video, i ordered the same size screen! thanks! (and the pre-finished screens are on sale right NAOWS!!) :P
post #51 of 136 Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

so i've sat down the last few hours and sketched up these "schematics" for the frame build:

post #52 of 136 Old 12-17-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've picked up all the parts however the weather is not cooperating. Its a bit dreary and wet outside. Tomorrows forecast looks much better
post #53 of 136 Old 12-26-2011, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #54 of 136 Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On my iPhone do I'll be brief:

Assembling the frame:

Attaching the Carl's Place screen (I do need to make up a spreader bar)

The screen up just before dark:

Le Big Azz PS3:
post #55 of 136 Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #56 of 136 Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #57 of 136 Old 12-27-2011, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

A daylight shot of the screen. It was thrown up in a hurry. No winds in SoCal yesterday nor today. Am about to secure it down though. Right after I chop off the excess pipe

post #58 of 136 Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

my first real gaming night. i had to tear up some Deep Purple! rock band 3, xbox,

then i had to tear around a virtual track! forza 2, xbox

then i had to tear up some baseballs! homerun challenge, xbox, indie game

speak softly and carry a HUGE bat!
post #59 of 136 Old 12-28-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

as it got colder (50° :P) i warmed up with some kinect

various kinect titles and demos... plus i think the just dance girl winked at me! *swoon*

ended the night headshot sniping noobs

... with my 6 foot scope!
post #60 of 136 Old 12-28-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

left video is kung fu panda projected onto the Carls Place screen. right video is a smaller (time wise) clip of kung fu panda projected onto bare wall colored "greenish". what a difference a screen makes!

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=ht...rName=Skruller
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page