Outdoor Speaker Configuration Advice - NEAR A6 + SONOS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-26-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I’m setting up an outdoor speaker system using two pairs of NEAR A6 speakers (brochure: http://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/nearpdfs/A6s.pdf – manual: http://www.bogen.com/products/pdfs/nearpdfs/A2m.pdf) connected to my SONOS system. I was planning on mounting a pair of A6s on the front porch and a pair of A6s on the back porch. I’m using a SONOS Zoneplayer 120 to power them (http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connectamp).

My question is whether I can use a single Zoneplayer 120 to power both pairs of speakers. Or do I really need two Zoneplayer 120s?

I was planning on running wires from the Zoneplayer 120 to the front set of speakers and then running speaker wire from the front set of speakers to the back set of speakers (using the poles provided for on the back of the A6s). The area I’m trying to cover is relatively small (on the front and back porch only) so I don’t need a ton of volume from either set of speakers. What do you guys think?

Thanks a bunch for your advice!

"By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next." -- William Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth, Part II
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Your zp120 isn't enough for a single pair let alone both... I run a zp90 into a crown 400 watt amp for a pair.

Chris
post #3 of 10 Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

I finished the project several months ago. The 120 is doing perfectly well driving two pairs of A6s.

"By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next." -- William Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth, Part II
post #4 of 10 Old 04-16-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Somebody sent me a PM asking me about how I configured this system so here's a brief description for everyone.

I put a single Zoneplayer 120 in the attic and connected it to a power outlet that I had installed up there. Then I ran Monoprice 12AWG CL2 Rated 2-Conductor Loud Speaker Cable (For In-Wall Installation) through the attic and out the eve wall onto my front porch. I connected the speaker wire to two Near A6 speakers mounted high on each side of the porch. They are flanking the front door and are located under the eaves of the house. From the front speakers I made another run of Monoprice 12AWG back into the attic and across and out the back eve of the house to another pair of A6 speakers mounted on each side of my patio.

I use these outdoor speakers along with other SONOS components throughout my house to play music from my NAS or from Pandora. As far as output, I've had the volume set to about 50% on the outdoor speakers (and only once as a test). If I raised it any higher my neighbors would be calling the law. In most cases, I have the volume set at about 35% on the outdoor speakers and that seems to be a nice enough volume to reach the people walking up the sidewalk and front path and also playing at a nice volume on back patio.

post #5 of 10 Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM

My theater is designed to be portable. Da-Lite fast-fold rear projection screen, projector that slides into a removable ceiling mount that I made and some black curtains to fill the voids on either side of the garage opening (door is 18' wide, screen is 6' x 9').

I have been using a pair of JBL bookshelf speakers that I bought used freshman year in college...let's just say I've had them a long time!

This weekend, I bit the bullet and grabbed a pair of Peavey PR12s, and stands. OMG. Not sure why I waited so long.

Last year, I picked up a "broken" Denon surround sound receiver and n Electro-Voice PR2600SA amp...both free and both work very well together. Now they're driving the PR12s and I couldn't be happier! Well, maybe if I had a second power amp and a Peavey Sub...I have an old Flame Linear amp...Hmmm.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-23-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

GirkMonster - I think you posted in the wrong thread.

post #7 of 10 Old 05-01-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post

I finished the project several months ago. The 120 is doing perfectly well driving two pairs of A6s.

Exactly what I would have suggested.. a volume control or inline switch possibly to have independent control of each outdoor area maybe but that's all.

The comment of not enough for even one pair is just incorrect on many levels. In fact it's more than enough as noted.... for not only one but 2 pairs
post #8 of 10 Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 PM

Will the ZP power the speakers, absolutely. Is it ideal and are you getting the full performance of your A6's? No..

But glad your enjoying, there is nothing better then enjoying your favorite music outdoors on a nice day.

Chris
post #9 of 10 Old 06-12-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepaola View Post

Is it ideal and are you getting the full performance of your A6's? No.

What does that mean? How are you defining "full performance" and what does that mean in terms of a listening experience? Are you referring to volume levels without distortion? Or are you inferring something else?

post #10 of 10 Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I'm having the issues I believe cdepaola is referring to and looking for a solution. I have two connect:amps powering 2 pairs of Outdoor Niles 6.3 speakers. The amps are approx. 50' from the speakers. I am constantly at max volume in order to enjoy the sound outdoors. I can only assume that the connect:amps are not powerful enough to drive these speakers in an outdoor setting. Any other thoughts?
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page