Outdoor TV - HD source? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-28-2011, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I am moving into a new house soon that has a coaxial output in an outdoor covered patio. It's a perfect location to mount an outdoor TV, however I am wondering what practical options I have to get a good HD source without needing a set top box or other such device given this is outdoors?

I live in Southern California and my options for HDTV providers are basically Time Warner Cable, ATT U-Verse, and DirecTV. I am leaning towards U-verse from several friend's recommendations, yet I just don't know with any of these providers, whether it would be possible to get the HD programming without needing the set top box?

In case you were wondering, the coax jack runs back into the house into the master bedroom closet, if that means anything from a practical perspective. Perhaps an outdoor antenna could be an option for OTA HD? Not sure how that would work either -- where would this antenna physically be mounted? Would there need to be extensive re-wiring done to re-wire the coax jack to the mounted antenna? Maybe this is all just not worth it? Or maybe I should buy a TV with a built-in DVD and just accept watching DVD movies as the best we can do for now (without needing extra boxes)? All thoughtful comments appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-31-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
The only thing I can think of is to use something like a Roku HD. If you have (or plan to use) a wireless router, it will connect to the router just like any other device and you can stream content off the 'net. Check out the Roku site for available programming...there are about 100 channels, some pay, some free.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 4 Old 11-02-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo11 View Post

Hi everyone,

I am moving into a new house soon that has a coaxial output in an outdoor covered patio. It's a perfect location to mount an outdoor TV, however I am wondering what practical options I have to get a good HD source without needing a set top box or other such device given this is outdoors?

I live in Southern California and my options for HDTV providers are basically Time Warner Cable, ATT U-Verse, and DirecTV. I am leaning towards U-verse from several friend's recommendations, yet I just don't know with any of these providers, whether it would be possible to get the HD programming without needing the set top box?

In case you were wondering, the coax jack runs back into the house into the master bedroom closet, if that means anything from a practical perspective. Perhaps an outdoor antenna could be an option for OTA HD? Not sure how that would work either -- where would this antenna physically be mounted? Would there need to be extensive re-wiring done to re-wire the coax jack to the mounted antenna? Maybe this is all just not worth it? Or maybe I should buy a TV with a built-in DVD and just accept watching DVD movies as the best we can do for now (without needing extra boxes)? All thoughtful comments appreciated, thanks!

I'm not sure if you have the ability to run some CAT5, but what I did was pick up an HDMI over CAT5e kit from monoprice. All you do is install wall plates at either TV, run two CAT5e/6 cables to each plate, and then run HDMI from the STB at the inside TV to the wall plate, and then run another HDMI from the outdoor wallplate to the TV.

You could then add in an HDMI splitter at the STB, and be all ready to go.

If UVerse is an option, I saw a couple days ago that they are offering wireless STBs. You could just get one of these and move it outside when you need it, hook up an HDMI cable and you would be ready to go.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #4 of 4 Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Liked: 10
You could use an hdmi over coax converter and put the stb in the closet, just do a google shopping search for hdmi over coax.

If you want to go the ota antenna route, than depending on your location and if you have attic access, you could use an attic mount antenna and simply run the coax from the antenna into the closest and use a coupling to attach to the cable running outside to your tv with an hd tuner. You can do a search on the web and there are some sites that will tell you what size and type of antenna you will need based on your latitude and longitude. They will also give you information on what ota channels are available and the direction to point it for the channels you want.
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page