Need a little input on my outdoor theatre - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have this pavilion in my backyard and I'm going to be running electricity and cable out to it. *Couple questions. *What kind of electrical cable do I need to run underground, can it be run parallel to the coax cable. *I'm also looking to mount a projector out there. *What would you recommend as far as enclosing the projector (for security and weather protection)? *As far as speakers, the third picture shows the braces we have in the corners, that is where I had planned on mounting them. *What outdoor speakers would you recommend? *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Wow, That is a really nice pavilion you have there. I am definitely not an expert on back yard theaters but this site I am also a member of can give you a hand on your questions.

http://backyardtheater.com/
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Definitely some good ideas over there.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Great space! Yes, backyardtheater.com for your equipment questions.

You can get direct-bury electric cable, but I would bury a conduit and run a 20 amp line out there. Same with the coax. I would keep the coax at least a foot away from the electric line.

Personally, I wouldn't leave the projector out there. I would build a shelf mount and run all of the necessary cabling to the shelf and hook up the projector when you are going to watch a movie. If you get a new projector, the only hookup should be plugging it in and connecting an HDMI cable. Even an older one like mine only requires connecting the three component cables (R,G,B). Once you do it two or three times it won't take more than 5 minutes to setup and take down.

You can build (or buy) a small cabinet to house your DVD/BR player and amp (and any other equipment) and just close and lock the door.

Amps are pretty cheap.....projectors not so much.

Look at monoprice.com for great prices on speaker wire and long-run cables, particularly long HDMI cables.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 01-05-2012, 12:56 PM

"You can build (or buy) a small cabinet to house your DVD/BR player and amp (and any other equipment) and just close and lock the door.

Amps are pretty cheap.....projectors not so much."

That is what I did, I bought this plastic cabinet off of Walmarts web page for $59. Its weather resistant and I keep it on my patio with everything hooked up. I don't keep the projector in there just the stereo and Blu-ray player and a Direct HD receiver All I have to do is hook up the projector and I am ready to go.
I bought my indoor/outdoor speakers off of Amazon. I use Yamaha NS-AW150W for the main, left and right, $60 Dual LU43 for the surrounds $30 and I bought a used Niles off of ebay for $50. They dont have the bass like my indoor speakers but I have neighbors close by. But the sound is still superb. And the Yamaha RX-V371 receiver I got at Best buy for $220. Its there lowest price receiver but it has HDMI inputs/outputs and is 5.1 surround. I am more than happy with the sound of movies on this setup.
And this is where I bought my screen material. Its blackout cloth and works great for outdoor theaters.

http://www.carlofet.com/

Old 01-05-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

being that my space is so far from my house I think I may be better off with some sort of mobile setup.

I've found this cart

I think i might use something like that.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

So i'll need to dig two ditches then?
Old 01-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patd1 View Post

And the Yamaha RX-V371 receiver....

not thread jacking, but patd1, we both have the same receiver! :P

for OP: a mobile setup sounds cool and i also vote for checking BYT for mobile setups they already have as well. that cart would be more than enough. you still need power out there so maybe just some long extension cords? for a better look though, diggin 2 ditches would be ideal.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Looks like the same plastic cabinet I use on my deck. Every Spring before using, I take everything out and give it a good hose-down and then spray for bugs. Good to go for the season.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA