Comcast cable channels to projector with Tuner? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi...

I am trying to help out my brother in law get a projector setup to work outside by the pool to watch mostly sports, but also other stuff over his cable connection. Its a basic projector that I believe has DVI/HDMI input as well as component video. I can get the model number if it helps.

He has Comcast for cable and was curious if anyone has ever done this or has recommendations. Here are a few questions I have:

- Is it possible to run coax outside and get this to work with the projector with a tuner box and do I need a Comcast cable box to get this to work? Something like an standalone Hauppauge box?
- What does Comcast use for modulation? QAM? Soemthing else?
- If I do need a cable box, is there something cheap I can buy or do I need to purchase/lease through Comcast?
- If I need the cable box, can I run the output from a box inside and send video/audio over ethernet, coax, other using a encoder or something? I wouldnt want to run HDMI for 100ft. If this is the only solution, then I guess I would change channels remotely using an RF extender or something but would be open to suggestions.
- Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Werner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You're asking in the wrong forum - this one is dedicated to programming in HD. Try asking your question over in the Home Entertainment & Theater Builder section - there's an Outdoor Theaters forum that sounds just right for your questions.

Flicks? Here's my collection. And I've seen a lot, too.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 17
Moved to proper forum.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #4 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppr View Post

- Is it possible to run coax outside and get this to work with the projector with a tuner box and do I need a Comcast cable box to get this to work?

Yes, it can be done, and yes to view most Comcast HD channels you'll need a Comcast box or CableCARD device.

Quote:

- What does Comcast use for modulation? QAM? Soemthing else?

Yes they use QAM, but except for local HD channels, all other HD channels are encrypted and not viewable. There are clear QAM tuners available that will get just the local HD channels that Comcast carries in your area.

Quote:

- If I do need a cable box, is there something cheap I can buy or do I need to purchase/lease through Comcast?

Besides a Comcast box there are other options but none of them are cheap. When you use a box other than what Comcast provides, the box needs CableCARD capability. Comcast rents you the CableCARD for a few bucks a month, additionally you pay them for the channels you want and in some areas an 'HD Technology' fee. If you already have Comcast HD service than the CableCARD rental fee would be the only additional fee. The two approaches with CableCARD capability are a current TiVo, which is an HD DVR, and a PC with CableCARD, also an HD DVR. The TiVo requires a monthly or yearly subscription fee to work, in addition to what you pay Comcast now.

Quote:

- If I need the cable box, can I run the output from a box inside and send video/audio over ethernet, coax, other using a encoder or something?

Yes, there are very capable HDMI to Ethernet units. Last I checked, for both audio & video you'd need two Ethernet cables, not sure if that's still the case.

Quote:

I wouldnt want to run HDMI for 100ft.

These days, running HDMI over longer distances is not a problem, if you get the right extenders. They should be externally powered and have at least 1.3 HDMI capability. You may need HDMI 1.4 if you want to go 3D at some point.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Over here in the sf bay area my comcast box already has hd programming access. So if your comcast is similar to mine all you have to do is attach a long rf cable from the house to where the projector and comcast box are, and then attach your video cable to the projector. If you have hdmi or component to vga that at least you'll get hd, but you'll probably have to spring for some powered speakers or an audio system as most projectors nowadays have pretty lousy audio.

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #6 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I think the easiest way to do this is to run the coax out to your location and hook up a cable box there. It's MUCH easier to change channels that way, too. At some point, the cable HAS to enter the house. I would split from that point and run the coax (which is MUCH cheaper than HDMI, even at monoprice prices!) to your location, then a shorter HDMI from the cable box to the projector.

If you need another cable box, I'd GO to the Comcast office and tell them Verizon has been beating down your door with an offer of X number of boxes and free this and that and ask if there's anything they can do? IF they say "like what did you have in mind?" you say, "Well, that 4th box for free would work."

It worked for me when I wanted an additional 3D box.

And, as always, I agree with Victor. You'll definitely want a sound system out there. I bought the cheapest home theater in a box I could find and upgraded to some outdoor speakers.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #7 of 8 Old 01-13-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hmmm, the squeaky wheel gets an extra cable box. Thanks, Tom, I'll have to try that out. I could use an extra box for my bedroom.

Victor

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

Big Screen/Small Space! My 13x12 Bedroom HT

Think small, project big!
Small theaters gallery
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Funny, I just got ANOTHER offer from Fios for cable, internet and phone for $89/mo for two years.....I might have to actually consider that one!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page