outdoor speaker install question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-08-2012, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i'm considering DIY'ing my outdoor speaker install and i'm hoping someone can offer a suggestion

I'm planning on drilling a hole in the exterior of my house and running buried PVC as the conduit for the speaker wire. What i'm not sure of is whether there is a best practice for the terminating end of the PVC. Is there some sort of cap that i can put on that will allow me to run the speaker wire out of the PVC but keep any water from entering?

thanks for any assistance you can offer

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Can post a drawing or sketch of what you have in mind? How and where will the PVC come out out of the ground? You could use a couple of 90 degree fittings to make an "L" or "U" shape. What type of wire are you planning to use? I used the heavier gauge LV wire for outdoor lighting.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 6 Old 03-09-2012, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
i'm not looking for suggestions on how to run the PVC. i'm aware of how I will do that - what kinds of angle joints I will need, etc. What i'm wondering is what's the best practice for sealing the end of the PVC at the speaker end. I'm guessing I will run the PVC through the ground until just under the speakers location, and then run a 90 joint with a small piece coming up to the ground under the speaker. I'm concerned with water getting into teh PVC and freezing in the wintertime so how would i best go about sealing the end of the PVC so that only the speaker wire comes out and nothing (or at least very very little) gets in? Is there some sort of universal end cap that I could just drill a hole in and then caulk around the speaker wire?

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 AM

Liked: 10
A common way to terminate the outdoor end of a conduit run is to add two more 90 degree elbows above ground with short straight sections, so the final opening faces down. Little or no rain can get in, however the conduit will still eventually become wet due to condensation. Silicone caulk will reduce that. If the wires are underground rated, it won't matter. The conduit's main function would be to reduce the risk of damage from digging in its path.

A better way is to terminate the conduit in a watertight junction box (grey PVC, in the outdoor power wiring area at your favorite DIY store), and use connectors (banana jacks, etc) to terminate the wire run.

Best of all and easiest, if using UG rated wiring, just make a shallow slit in the sod or soil and direct bury the wires a couple of inches. That's what the CATV guys do with their underground runs.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Given your description of how you will need to terminate the PVC under the speaker, in the ground,, about all you can do is seal up the end of the PVC/wire coming out with silicone caulk etc. Depending on the size of the PVC, installing a cap and drill/run the wire through could work best. I would drill the hole to where the wire sheath fits snug then caulk on the inside of the cap, then seal cap to the pipe. IE, push wire through hole in cap until you have plenty/extra to complete the connection. Then fill the backside/inside of the cap with silicone - then force the cap on your pipe. I wouldn't even use pipe glue on the cap. The silicone will be plenty.
I used 1/2 inch sch 40 PVC to run 4 lead/sheathed large ga speaker wire from Monoprice to the backside of the yard/pool. Used a gray junction box like mentioned above to split the 4 lead to individual left and right 2 lead sheathed wires going to the water features/planters behind my pool. The entire run(s) are in sch 40 PVC. The planters are near 4 ft deep thus I ran the PVC vertical to just under the surface of the soil in each, then looped the PVC 180 degrees pointing straight down another 6-8 inches. The sheathed wire then passes through the dirt to the bottom of the all weather speakers etc. Given the 8 inch downward portion of the PVC there was no need for me to seal the end.

Just some ideas for ya. But you're on the right track.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #6 of 6 Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

A common way to terminate the outdoor end of a conduit run is to add two more 90 degree elbows above ground with short straight sections, so the final opening faces down.

THAT'S what I was trying to describe!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page