Outdoor Patio Options. Which way and Thoughts? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a long 15' x 40' foot covered patio that extends the length of the back of my house. I would like to put a TV and sounds out on the patio. I know that I am going to mount a 32' LCD HDTV outside. I need help on how best to get video and audio outside.

Option 1 - Drill a hole. (cheapest)

The family room with the components is adjacent to the patio. I can drill a hole behind my TV to outside and run an HDMI cable from the receiver to my TV outside and install an amp to power 2 speakers outside. The receiver switches between the AT&T U-verse, XBox 360 acting as the BluRay, and the WD TV Live Plus media player.

The bad is that I will only be able to play what is being played off of the receiver in the family room. Both will be showing the same programming.

Option 2 - HDMI wireless transmitter/receiver by Peerless HDS100 (most expensive)

I could run each component to the receiver AND the HDS100 and wirelessly transmit programming to the patio TV. From there use an amp to supply and play the 2 speakers. This allows me to switch between different components than what is playing inside and also eliminates me having to drill.

The bad is that I don't know how good this wireless system is hands on. It sets up its own wireless N network that is not supposed to interefere with anything else and supply 1080p wirelessly.

Option 3 - Buy sperate outdoor components for outdoors (economical)

For the price of the Peerless HDS100, I can buy a small caninet, Denon entry-level receiver, speakers, a WD TV Live with wireless streaming and order the U-Verse wireless box for outside and have just as much capability outside as inside.

The bad is that it is a lot of electronics outside that can be stolen. Hopefully I can just weigh down the cabinet and padlock it so that it is not easily stolen.

Option 4 - ???

I am sure there are better ways than I have mentioned to get audio/video to my patio. Please feel free to offer some suggestions. I am all ears. The main things that I want is 720p video and some nice loud/clear audio outside. I would prefer surround but that is quite unneccesary for outside.

I have included a photo of the half of the patio that will have the entertainment. The TV will be mounted on the upper right on the pole between the infrared heater and the brick wall/window. You can see the power outlet on the ceiling.

Thanks everyone as always,
Keith
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-04-2012, 11:33 AM

I just did this at my house. I ran 2 35 ft HDMI cables through the walls to the outside for my Comcast cable box and my Blu Ray player. Also bought Next Gen Remote extender so I could control everything via remote control without boxes being outside.
Now I get 1080i from the cable box and 1080p from the Blu Ray. Works Great!!
Much better than wireless setup.

Also ran speaker wires for sound but have not hooked them up yet. Will probably use the stereo from inside for sound.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-05-2012, 07:43 AM

I was thinking of running an HDMI to cat 6 extender to a TV out on my screened in porch. I have a standard cable hook up outside but don't want the cable box to be damaged and would like to use the same box for inside and outside so I don't have to rent another.
Does anyone have any thoughts on what equipment to use and how to control the cable box from outside?
post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 AM

I had just the same situation at my home in Michigan. My family got me a Rain Case and it has been wonderful My husband and I can sit on the deck and watch the evening news while eating dinner. It is on a Universal Mount and it can be locked with my own lock so it is secure.

To take a look at the Rain Case and our video, go to:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/raincase/rain-case-tv-entertainment-for-your-great-outdoors

Following are the media sites that are featuring the case:
· Facebook: www.facebook.com/raincasellc

· Linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/rain-case-llc

· Twitter: @raincasellc

· CBS Detroit: detroit.cbslocal.com/2013/02/21/new-michigan-business-offers-weatherproof-enclosures-for-tvs/

· InventorSpot: inventorspot.com/articles/when_it_rains_your_outdoor_television_needs_rain_case
post #5 of 5 Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
your xbox cannot act as the bluray. it doesnt use one. your best bet is to drill holes and get a remote control extender setup like usrobo. if the nextgen remote extender is too expensive, try regular IR repeaters. i have a WDTV Live Plus unit and can tell you its wireless performance for netflix or any video streaming will be cool for about 80% of the time. for audio (like pandora or a music streaming service) its closer to 90%. wired network always wins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't ban me bro!"

Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List