Humidity and heat effect on receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For the last several years I have been showing movies outside. I have went through a couple of receivers during that time. When the equipment isn't being used I store it in my garage. The humidity and heat are pretty bad in the garage.

I was wondering how hard those conditions are on a receiver even when it is not in use? I am considering storing the equipment inside even though it would be an immense pain.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I'd think that the Electrolytic Capacitors in a receiver would be the most vulnerable to heat damage but a quick look at DigiKey shows the lowest heat rating as 65C and most are rated at 85C and above.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

I'd think that the Electrolytic Capacitors in a receiver would be the most vulnerable to heat damage but a quick look at DigiKey shows the lowest heat rating as 65C and most are rated at 85C and above.

Perhaps I've just had bad luck then. In Indiana we do get both very cold winters and very hot summers, so I was wondering whether the fluctuating temperatures were the problem. Thanks.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 03:04 PM

Liked: 32
You are better to store the equipment inside in a controlled environment when not in use. Storing it in a garage, unless it is in air & weather tight containers, with descant bags in those containers, you will see the lifespan limited. Even then, still find a place inside to store the equipment.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 426
As gregzoll mentioned, you need to keep electronic equipment in a climate-controlled environment unless it is intentionally designed for outdoor use.

Temperature fluctuations cause the parts in the receiver to expand and contract. Different materials change size at different rates. This causes connections to physically break apart.

High temperature and humidity cause the parts in the receiver to corrode more rapidly. Oxides in the connections can cause them to become electrically disconnected.

Edited to add:
Getting water into dusty equipment is a disaster, too. That'll happen when humidity condenses onto cold surfaces after a long winter night.

Selden
post #6 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Maybe Ive just been lucky yet I have a cheap JVC receiver that has been in my garage since 1999. Dallas, TX area where temps in the garage can reach 110 with humidity in the 90% range. Winters aren't overly cold yet damp. Darn thing has never skipped a beat. Nor has the CD player under it... Gets dusty is an understatement.

Then again, I had a Samsung plasma within my enclosed patio and it stopped producing a picture within 18 months.... Everything else works on the TV yet it's like the bulbs burnt out (not suggesting plasma has a bulb by the way).

I'm 50/50 on what may have caused your / my TVs issues, but I do feel "stuff" just ain't made like it use to be and is entirely too flaky, OK "sensitive" to anything much more harsh than the vacuum of space... Less the temps that is.... :-). Partially kidding of course.

I too would probably protect your next device by storing it out of the elements to see if that achieves longer life. Maybe that and ensure you are providing it with a good, stable power supply while outside.

Cheers

Love DIY
post #7 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay, it sounds like I need to find someway to store it inside. It is inside a nice cart I built which is why it is hard to put it inside. I may have to move the whole cart in.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

High temperature and humidity cause the parts in the receiver to corrode more rapidly. Oxides in the connections can cause them to become electrically disconnected.

Edited to add:
Getting water into dusty equipment is a disaster, too. That'll happen when humidity condenses onto cold surfaces after a long winter night.

Yep, just ask any soldier that has returned from Afghanistan or Iraq and ask them how quick electronics become non-workable.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post

Okay, it sounds like I need to find someway to store it inside. It is inside a nice cart I built which is why it is hard to put it inside. I may have to move the whole cart in.

Just change it out to the same type of case that is used for rock concerts, to hold the equipment in. Easy to close up, rolls around on big casters, and has a port that you can connect the cables up to on the side, or you can install those yourself.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnikirk View Post

Humidity and heat effect on receiver

It is very simple cnikirk. Just buy a picnic cooler big enough to store the items (you may need an industrial size). That will protect it in the garage against extremes. That's how people transport films (remember those?) during summer.

When storing, u may want to stuff some dry paper things in there and that will help absorb excess moisture.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-21-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

It is very simple cnikirk. Just buy a picnic cooler big enough to store the items (you may need an industrial size). That will protect it in the garage against extremes. That's how people transport films (remember those?) during summer.

When storing, u may want to stuff some dry paper things in there and that will help absorb excess moisture.

Interesting idea. Thank you.
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page