Need advice for outdoor music festival projection - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your help and time.

I have been handed a project for a very big music festival. One of the asks is that I project a looping image onto one of the round tents of the festival, meaning you'll be able to see a looping image on top of it at night.

I'm not concerned with getting the image visible during the day, this is just a night time thing. I'm also not concerned with warping as I know how to deal with that.

What I'm looking for help on is any advice you can give me regarding projectors and the distance/quality they can achieve? The festival organizers will be getting me the projector I just need to tell them which one.

the tent dimensions are attached. Lets say for now that I only want to project onto one side of it, preferably filling the entire side with the projected image.

what kind of projector specs do I need, and how far away does the projector need to be?

thank you very much for helping a visual artist completely new to projecting

David
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Get the brightest thing that you can. You need to fill something that is over 60 feet wide. At minimum, you are talking about needing 30k lumens and probably 3-phase power. You probably want a brighter image than that.

You could also use multiple projectors and either tile the image or stack the projectors (overlap multiple projectors). Whether this is a good idea or not depends largely on how much time you have, how much you care about resolution, and your budget. Companies like AV Stumpfl have software and hardware available to make seamless multi-projector shows possible.

The throw distance depends on the lens that you use. Lenses are marked by "throw ratio," which is the ratio of the width of the image to the throw distance. A lens with a 2:1 throw ratio will produce a 10-foot wide image at a 20-foot throw. A lens with a 4:1 throw ratio will produce a 5-foot wide image at the same throw distance. And so on. Most video projector lenses are zooms, and will have a range, like 4-6:1. I would suggest figuring out where you want to put the projector(s) and then renting the appropriate lenses for them.
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page