Question RE: Humidity and Projectors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just upgraded my projector, so I'm going to be using my old one for my new backyard theater setup. In the past, I've had problems using camcorders in humid environments, where the lens would fog up and the camcorder would need to be repaired. So now I'm wondering if I might run into that same problem using my projector outside.

So I ask the more experienced backyard theater folk, is there a rule of thumb to know when it's too humid to use your projector outside? I don't want to have to find out the hard way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-07-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
If it's too humid to sit outside and be comfortable, then it's too humid for the projector. At least that's my take on it. I use a portable projector and take it and the screen in when not in use. Everything else, I leave outside. FIve seasons and haven't had any issues and it gets REALLY humid here in the summer.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 15 Old 06-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 11
I think for humid environment you can use an outdoor projector. Also Mitsubishi SD110U is the great projector which is good in humid environment. May be it is the easy way for you.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-08-2012, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Right now I'm just using my old indoor projector, but if I ever need to replace it I'll definitely look into an outdoor projector.

Humidity just wasn't something I originally took into account. But remembering the effect it had on camcorders made me a little concerned. Perhaps the projector's fan would help alleviate some of that condensation, though I certainly wouldn't rely on it.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
not really sure there is an outdoor projector :/

i had thought of this issue arising in my neck of the woods but not problems so far. i did think ahead and thought about building the projector its own "projector booth". a simple cardboard box with a hole in the front for the projection and a computer fan (or two) on one side and the rear of this box. leave one side of the "booth" like a flap. so you can access the cables and stuff. the fancy edition would have a glass window and made from something other than cardboard. possibly have a temp sensor that turns on the fans.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-15-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea for a more permanent outdoor setup. Or if you're that determined to watch a movie outside. If it's that bad, though, I'd probably just settle on my indoor theater. I'm not that hardcore.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
i would say im leaning a bit towards the hardcore. however, when i project outside, its done from a mobile cart:

15563698.jpg

the wire rack i got from Target. the wheels underneath also from target. in this instance i was playing movies using my ps3 as the source. notice the cabinet the ps3 is in? my secondary plan (the first being the mini "projection booth") was to cut out a small square (also in flap form) on the left side of the cabinet. when done with movies, flap goes up. when projecting, flap down. instant "projection booth". also protects projector from elements. however i havent done that because i have a problem with people getting up during a movie and walking in front of the projector. so i moved the projector on top of the cabinet on top of the cart.

you could see where a simple cardboard box with the requisite holes would do the same job as the cabinet. i try to find the low-tech method of doing something first. then i embelish afterwards wink.gif
post #8 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Liked: 13
I have a Panasonic HD projector and have found that it's best to bring it outside a few hours before show-time...at least in my case. My wife and I keep the central air on about 66 degrees and when I would bring it out, not only would the lens have a bit of condensation on it, but the iris would stick and "flutter" a bit because of the drastic temperature change. Once I figured out what was causing it, and started to bring it out a few hours before hand, no more problems...

...I would also be careful about any enclosures made for a projector...just make sure it's getting enough air flow because they get awfully hot.
post #9 of 15 Old 07-02-2012, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I had planned on this past Saturday being another outdoor movie night. It's been a bit hot here and Saturday was fairly humid, as well. So I went back and forth on whether or not I should bring my projector outside. I ended up doing so and not five minutes after I brought it out there (and maybe two minutes after I fired it up) it began to flicker and shut itself off. I have no idea if this is related to the heat/humidity, or if this is one heck of a coincidence. But now I find myself with a projector that's not working.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Did you bring it back inside and try to see if it worked?

The reason I asked is because I had the same thing happen and the culprit was indeed the humidity and or heat difference from inside and out. Ever since I started bringing it out, at least, 2 hours before show time, it hasn't happened
post #11 of 15 Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I tried it inside right away and had the same problem. Flicker then shut off. And I tried it again the following day, and the same thing happened. I wish it was that simple.

The reason I bought a new projector was because I had problem with my PT AX100U and was seeing some signs that I might have the same problems with this PT AX200U (which I received as a replacement from Panasonic). So it's hard to know if I was right about it having the same problems or if the humidity was the culprit.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Holy Cow Eyeball...That's the exact projector I have as well. Have you seen this video? It shows you how to apply 3 in 1 oil to the iris and, in my case, it helped the sticking problem. You should also consider, if you haven't already, turning off the Dynamic Iris feature in the menu. Try both methods and see if you get better results. Here's the link to the tutorial on how to lubricate the parts that might be causing the problem...good luck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGwB05_gdk

...keep in mind this is the fix for the 100U which is what I currently have...not sure if the newer model has changed all that much or enough to render this video useless...
post #13 of 15 Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for posting that video. I actually have someone looking at the projector now, to see if he can fix it. But if he strikes out, I'll definitely give that a try. That clicking noise (from the iris) is definitely what I heard on my projector. Only louder and more often, followed by it shutting off.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-06-2012, 02:46 PM

Same exact problem I had bro...I also had the power supply fry up on me and I had to send it to a place in Georgia to get fixed. I absolutely love the picture on this thing but it seems as if there are some design flaws that most of us have to deal with when owning them.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-09-2012, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

The AX 100U had the problem with the iris or shutter. That's why they ended up giving me the 200 as a replacement. That's also why I never fully trusted the 200 and decided to upgrade before it went out. Looks like I made that decision just in time.
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page