How wide would you set speakers outdoors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-28-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 129
This might be an easy answer or not.. (??)

Right now, I've got a single stack that I've used outside. I'll try to attach a picture. The screen is used as a rear projecton so that all the electronics are not only closer to the house but, out of the way.

Speaker is off to the side so as to not interefere with the rear image.

My goal would be to acquire FOUR more stacks like this as I think it would be fun to do an outdoor surround system with incredible dynamics. Fortunately, the house is situated in the woods where I don't have to worry about neighbors and can have all the fun I want.

So, this brings me to...

If the center speaker MUST be off to the side and if I get another (let's keep it simple and say TWO) stacks for a front left and a front right, how far to the side might those be able to go before the sound being "50 feet wide" verses the screen being 16 feet wide starts to play mind games with your eyes and ears?

To throw it to the extreme, if the speakers are 100' apart to the front left/right it's not going to match up. If the front left/right are butted next to the center speaker (forgetting for a moment that it is to the side of the screen) then the sound is going to be a bit narrow and small.

Seating position is about 50' back but, others sit in the grass closer in.

Thoughts?

Image of screen/speaker

Seating position for deluxe ticket holders

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Toe in, major toe in.

If you get it right you should be able to get the speakers a good distance apart yet still have good center imaging.

Read up on this it explains alot: Setup of Waveguide Loudspeakers
post #3 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Speaker is off to the side so as to not interefere with the rear image.

I'd put the center in the center below the screen. From the pic it looks like the image is high enough on the screen that you should be able to place the speaker low to the ground under the image. OR raise the screen until you CAN fit it under.
Quote:
Seating position is about 50' back but, others sit in the grass closer in.
Why is seating so far back? It doesn't look to me like the screen is so big that's that's how far you HAVE to sit. If you moved the screen or seating closer, it would be easier to get a good surround system going.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #4 of 9 Old 07-30-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I'd put the center in the center below the screen. From the pic it looks like the image is high enough on the screen that you should be able to place the speaker low to the ground under the image. OR raise the screen until you CAN fit it under.

I later pulled the screen out from the location to allow a larger image. The center speaker has to go beside the screen. In the future, I might be able to put the entire thing in the field with the projector in front of the screen but still, it's not an AT screen so the speaker has to go to the side.

Quote:

Why is seating so far back? It doesn't look to me like the screen is so big that's that's how far you HAVE to sit. If you moved the screen or seating closer, it would be easier to get a good surround system going.

Sitting back because it just happens to be where we dropped the trailer. No real design other than that. It worked nice. Soncially, there were NO issues with it being that far back. Visually, I suppose we could have moved things but we've only done this twice and we're still working out the kinks.

Kind of nice when a 'kink' is only having the seating position back a bit too far! It worked like a charm though. Plenty of room for the individual chairs closer in for those who wanted to scoot in (and there were some)
post #5 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

*I* would still raise the screen and put it under and in the center. At the seating distances you are talking, having it below the screen will not affect the soundstage as much as you would think.

I'm just sayin'.

AND I'm going to dig up this old chestnut from my (MANY!) postings on backyardtheater.com.....

People don't go to outdoor movies for the sound or picture quality; they go to have a good time.

Tom Logan

post #6 of 9 Old 07-31-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

People don't go to outdoor movies for the sound or picture quality; they go to have a good time.

Absolutely correct!!!

This was a smash hit... folks loved the seats. We also had a concession cart full of 'ault' beverages, popcorn, some candy... all of it was free. The kids that were there flipped that they could have what they wanted for free. Ice cream... the wife really did that cart right.

Truth be told, in my opinon, the worst part of the ENTIRE evening... was the movie itself!!! lol We saw Avatar and it was all I could do to stay awake (was up until about 3:00 putting things away and dragging the tonnage of stuff inside the garage)

Still... very true words.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We also had a concession cart full of 'ault' beverages, popcorn, some candy... all of it was free.

NIIIICE!

Tom Logan

post #8 of 9 Old 08-03-2012, 05:59 PM

Liked: 10
That is sweet. Its got a good Amphitheater look to it.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-04-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

The farm is a couple hundred acres, surrounded on all sides by a lake so in a sense, I live on a peninsula. No way in/out but a single road and I'm at the dead end.

Nobody around to bother other than family members.

This is why I'd like to get several stacks and setup to do an outdoor HT deal. Heck, I've even thought it would be cool as beans to do a private 'drive in' movie and have people park in the field however, I'd probably need a bigger screen or more understanding friends.

Then...my big idea...

Take the screen down to the boat dock, set up some of these speaker stacks and have a BOAT in movie!! Perhaps do a concert DVD or a general movie and anyone driving their boats along the lake can stop in our little cove and join in free of charge.

Even wondered if it could turn into a weekly event "Concert in the Cove" type thing...
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page