Spandex Rear Projection Outdoor Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 215
I've read many post here regarding outdoor theaters and some of you that make it a point on having yearly summer functions. I think these are super cool and some of the set-ups here are incredible.

Well, our family celebrated a birthday for one or our kids a couple of weeks ago and had an outside movie as part of the celebration.

the screen is a spandex screen that is used for a DJ set-up as well as the speakers and amplifiers. The screen can be used as either front projection or rear projection. I like to set it as a rear projection since that gives you the freedom to walk wright infront of the scree.

I loved the experience, it was fun and everyone enjoyed it.

The projector is an Epson Powerlite 200+ fed by an insignia bluray.

I do not have good screen shoots, but the image is actually good.

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

post #3 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I like it!!

I posted in your other thread, but forgot to ask how you attached the bungies to the spandex? Did put grommets into the spandex? How big of a screen can you make with spandex?
post #4 of 15 Old 10-05-2012, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes I put grommets for the corners and in the vertical middle. You can see the detail on the second picture. Of course you could do more to make it more rectangular when stretched.

How big of a screen can you go? I would say that depends on how wide the spandex is. I got spandex with more cotton than lycra. There are different types and of course different colors. The main thing is to get 4 way stretch spandex. I know you can stretch it 100% in all 4 ways, but that would make very tight, if that gives you an idea.

Great party on yours BTW. It's great watching the kids having so much fun!!!

post #5 of 15 Old 10-10-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerate-life View Post

Do you find that the screen waves in the wind or gets dirty from blowing dust and what-not?

I got a 10 foot Spandex screen off eBay $70 that works really nice indoors but am hesitant to try it outside.

I suppose it's easily washable though.

In my case, the screen is stretched fairly tight so there are no waves... It would have to be very windy for it to be noticeable.
Regarding dust an such; I always take it down... however, you could easily through it into the washer.

post #6 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just had a movie night last week. As usual the experience is always awesome.

We watched Despicable Me. The only difference this year... after 10:00PM and still above 90 degrees! eek.gif

Might have another movie night, before summer is over.

post #7 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What kind of speakers are those? How are you powering them?

Looks like a fun setup.

post #8 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Those speakers are DJ speakers. Pyle Pro 300W and are powered by pyle pro 500w/ch amps. The amps are fed froma Numark IDJ2. It is a 2 channel setup, but still give very good separation and it sounds very good for outside.

The source comes from an Insignia Bluray and the projector is an Epson Powerlite Homecinema 200+ @ 1080i

post #9 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On a non Outdoor Theater related note... Here is my star DJ on "New Year's"

post #10 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 09:32 AM

sweet! I'm trying to pick up some DJ speakers on craigslist to use. I live in the country so I really can crank up the volume and need some serious power.

post #11 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the set up and take down for these is real easy and quick. All the equipment is contained in a rack box. So pretty much is connect the input/output for the mixer and the speaker wires... done!

The longest is probably to set up the projector properly... make sure is centered and focused.

And of course logging everything inside to store... probably 20 minutes.

DJ speakers are usually very durable... let us see your setup when you get it together.

post #12 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 10:04 AM

Yep. I"m currently lugging out an old Denon receiver, I have an outdoor screen with stand: http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-OS132-Outdoor-Indoor/dp/B007X68CEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376327003&sr=8-2&keywords=outdoor+screen

and I have a couple of old Polk speakers that are pretty crappy.

I am really trying to remove the receiver portion and just run powered speakers. I plan on building some type of rack on rollers that I can just leave in the garage.

post #13 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Being able to setup everything by yourself with out any assistance is a major plus. Having everything with casters, like the commercial says... Priceless!
If someone helps is just an added plus, but not having to depend on some one to help you, to me, is great.

I'm not sure how a 5.1/7.1 setup would performed outside... Someone with this type of setup might want to comment.

post #14 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM

I'm not sure if you are already a member, but head on over to http://www.backyardtheater.com/forums/ and check out some of the setups over there.

post #15 of 15 Old 08-12-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, some of the setups over there are unbelievable... plus lots of ideas and tips.

Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page