Outdoor stereo control - help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-09-2012, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently installed outdoor speakers and I have these connected to an indoor receiver in my house. I am trying to find ideas of how to control my existing receiver from my patio while outside so I don't have to go inside everytime I want to change the station/volume. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-31-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Tamas, welcome to the forum. It would help if you specified what kind of receiver you have as that might provide some options in control. However, some options to get this started would be to get one of these...
IR Wired Repeater.

This way you can position the repeater in sight from your patio which would give you complete control of your receiver.

Doug
Where there's a beer, there's a way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 PM

I had been in pursuit of something like that for years. Tried many a option and spent many a dollar. Finally in recent years a solution that is flexible, reliable, and affordable has started to materialize.

I think the best option going at this time is something that uses a iPod/iPad or PC laptop as the remote, and the home wireless LAN (802.11) rather than IR (assuming you have one) as the communications medium. Home LANs have enough signal strength to control things inside the home, even from the outside. The icing on the cake is that it is RF (Radio Freq/wireless), meaning non-line of sight, unlike IR.

For software I ended up going with TouchControl because it works on both a PC platform so you can use a laptop as a remote as well as iPxd devices. It does require a PC in the house to be the server, but that PC can be used for other things too so I used my Media Server PC as the TouchControl server.

Then the other piece to the puzzle is the Global Cache iTach unit that converts the information to IR. They have one that is "wireless to IR" and another that is "wired Ethernet to IR". I have one of each since the number of things I control has grown to include PCs, TVs, amps, lights,etc.

While there is a learning curve to set it all up, their support is awesome. Then once you have that done, the system works flawlessly. Best solution I have been able to find. I highly recommend it.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 PM

Hi Tamas! You are our target market for our upcoming product launch! www.fly-over.com! I had posted a separate thread on this looking for some potential insights into your specific problems you have with this scenario. Check out our site, let me know what you think and if you have any feedback.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 08:17 PM
E-F

Years ago I installed some outdoor Paradigms and had it hooked up to my basement system - problem was the input was set, volume was set and remote control would not work through walls. Shortly after that I installed a Sonos system throughout the house. This was the ideal time to "fix" the backyard problem - so I picked up a yard-sale receiver and connected it to the Sonos system near the basement back wall. Now all I have to do is lower the volume on my iPod Touch volume control on the free Sonos app, turn on the receiver with the volume set to the highest level the speakers can handle, and then select from the thousands of available channels - some of very good quality like Linn or Radio Paradise.

Computer music from my iTunes is also possible (wired or wireless), again with the iPod Touch controller. The only assumption in this set up is that your house wifi system can access your patio, which it does for most houses. I also have some Sonos Play5's that are great outdoors in place of the Paradigms, or in the garage..

Not the simplest solution for your situation, but worth considering if you have wireless aspirations in the future.

Good luck
post #6 of 6 Old 03-05-2013, 06:20 PM

Hi Tamas - not sure if you have received a solution for this issue yet, but wanted to let you know that we are trying to build some awareness around our new offering and are running some contests for free Blumoo audio controller which will work for the use-case you describe:
https://api-apps.com/app/embed/user/w/sl/317857341657947/sweepstakesmobile

For more detail on the product, take a look at the link below:
http://www.prweb.com/releases/FlyoverInnovations/Blumoo/prweb10464920.htm

Hope you get everything working as you want. Let me know if we can help. Good luck!
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page