My new outdoor theater w/pix - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I've been lurking for a while but haven't posted until now. Tons of useful info around here, thanks. I Wanted to share my theater building experience so that It may help other newcomers. I have a retractable 195" screen mounted behind the beam on our new ramada. We spent a ton of money on or ramada so I had to figure out a low cost theater solution....
Projector- Viewsonic 3000+ lumen, bought used on Craigslist for $300
Screen - blackout cloth from clarl's place $75 (highly recommend Carl, great service & price)
Remote controlled Motorized Shade cannibalized from the side of our house- Somfy motor- (free)
Custom shade tube for motorized shade- $60

I wired and mounted the motorized shade myself, then hung the screen. Works like a charm, my wife is happy because it rolls up out if sight behind the back beam
For now projector is on a rolling cart.

[IMG][IMG]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I purposefully left the screen wider than the projector image because I was hoping to use it as a shade to block the afternoon sun

[IMG]

post #3 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Very cool! I wanted to do something along the lines of what you've done but the only place I have for a roll up would be a 35+ ft throw and that was too far for my projector. My screen is from Carl's as well except that I opted for a finished screen. It will be interesting to see how the screen works as a "sun block" during the summer. Where at in AZ?
post #4 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ya, I have a feeling that the screen will get beat-up by the Tucson sun, but I am gonna see what type mileage I can get outta her.
I will probably need to upgrade the material eventually.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM

When I lived in Scottsdale, I had a very small yard with a 98" screen that I never took down. It was south facing, so it took sun 24/7. I made it from some cheap BOC that I got at a local fabric store. It was not nearly as "stout" as Carl's material, but it held up for over a year. I gave it to a guy who is using it at his house in Mexico. I think yours will do fine since you have the ability to roll it up. Your sun exposure should be pretty limited. Here are a couple of pics of my new screen and it's "protective shield". It's not fancy, but it works. I just roll up the tarp and secure it at the top of the screen. During good weather, it may stay there for a while. I checked it during the last rains we had and the screen never got wet. I'm fortunate that the back of the screen faces south and the fence and tree provide shade and a windbreak for it.

post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 05:41 PM

DryHeat, very nice job, i have planed on doing the same thing with a 18' awning. what did you use to stuff into the slot to hold screen into roller? while rolled up in the heat, do you have any problems with BOC sticking or anything?

also a pic on my video cart made from pvc. bottom shelf a 5:1 surround at 100 watts per channel, second shelf dvd players, next a slide out shelf for my laptop out the back of cart ( for streaming movies form my home theater pc network) last shelf projector in front and not shown a spot for cable box for sport events behind projector..when not in use the blue trap folds down and snaps tight to keep equipment protected from dust.

post #7 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the nice comments, I am super happy with the project so far.
Regarding the attachment of the screen material to the slot in the motorized shade roller, I just wedged hollow rubber pipe strips into the slot with the fabric. I crammed one in ever couple of inches. They would deform enough to squeeze into the slot and pinch the screen material in place. Individually they were not very strong, but a 16' row of them seemed to hold fine. Also, when the screen is fully deployed, it is still wrapped around the shade tube once or twice, so the downward forces makes the screen tighten on itself and not the rubber pieces wedged in the slot.

I really like your projector A/V setup, that is my next project, building something similar. I really need to get better sound.
I would love to attach my projector under my porch and run all the wiring through the ceiling, but I think the AZ sun/heat and monsoon rain in the summer would destroy it. I looked into projector enclosures, but they are super expensive.

So far the BOC has been fine and doesn't stick to itself, but we haven't had any real heat yet.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 PM

What about using a 2 piece ceiling mount? Leave the base mounted to the ceiling of the Ramada and the other piece on the projector. Instead of using the screws to connect the 2 pieces together, drill through the holes and use a 1/4-20 threaded bolt with a wing nut. Power wire and video cable stay put, attach mount (you will probably have to do minor adjustments when you set up) and you are good to go. At the end of the show, unplug, unbolt and you're done. We did this on my brother in law's house - set up time is 5 or 6 minutes, take down is under 5. I attached a link to a mount to give you an idea. We used a "Ollo" mount, but it seems they are discontinued on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Projector-Projectors-Adjustable-16-9-inch/dp/B005J0HRES/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1359008153&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=OLLO+MOUNTS%3A+%28PREMIUM%29+Universal+Projector+Ceiling+Mount%3B+360%C2%BA+Rotation%2C+15%C2%BA+Adjustable+Tilt%2C+Integrated+Cable+Management%2C+1+-+Projector+Digest
post #9 of 9 Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks 92020, that is a great idea. I will look into that......
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page