Outdoor Speaker Placement - Two Story Home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I just picked up a pair of Definitive Technology AW6500 outdoor speakers. I have a question about the best way to mount these. My house is a two story, all brick, with a patio off the back of the house and a deck area next to the patio that extends from the back corner of the house off to the side.

I'm currently considering a few ways to mount the speakers and I'm wondering which you think would be best becuase they all seem to have some potential issues.

Here is what I am considering:

1. Mount speakers under soffit - Will they be too high (20+ feet) to provide good sound? Wiring a volume knob also becomes more difficult with this option.

2. Mount speakers mid-way up the back wall - Will this look weird and will lack of weather protection be an issue?

3. Mount speakers on deck - Lack of weather protection and speaker direction could be an issue. I have also heard that the AW6500's work better when there is a solid surface behind them.

4. Mount speakers on posts in back landscaping area - Will they be too low for good soound quality and also no weather protection.

Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Even out in the open a good quality outdoor speaker like the Def Tech's should last 4-5 years at least. I have no idea about your skill level when it comes to outdoor wiring so I would say just put them in the easiest location for you.

post #3 of 4 Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have 4 of the 6500's in my backyard. All are about 12 feet off the ground mounted to brick right below the soffit. I just ran the wiring inside my soffit and dropped them down to the speaker. They are about 3 years old now and still sound fantastic. The 4 of them get pretty loud even off an old (17 years old)5.1 Kenwood receiver running A and B at the same time. I know they don't get all the watts they need so I am planning on upgrading to a better receiver for the 5.1 I am setting up outside and running amped zone 2 for the 4 6500s. I would like to think because mine are protected that they would last alot longer than 5 years, although the climate in SW Ohio might be worse than were you live.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have same issue..same speakers...getting 4. gonna go high to best visual and protection...hope sound is ok. mid would stick out like a sore thumb and be pretty much exposed to elements...no good.

have 140w per channel so plenty of power..we have pretty large yard so neighbors set back a bit...little worried about sound dispersion with them being so high... i think the should sound good in the listening area...little worried about bass making it that far down..

i'll post back with results...plan to insall sometime this summer.

if someone beats me to it with their experience, that would be fantastic.
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page