Rock Speakers for 7.2 surround - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a 5500 sq foot backyard that is being completed currently. I am having conduit ran all over the place for 7.2 surround as well as 6 additional speakers to be added later for listening zones.

The power for the speakers is going to be coming from an onkyo 616 receiver. My question is if the center channel rock speaker will be loud enough if you are sitting 40-50 feet away. It is this rock speaker from outdoor speaker depot: http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/ostfforosp.html

I don't need audiophile sound from these things, that's what my indoor system is for. I'm more concerned about my guests being able to hear it from the listening position. I'm going to be using a 16'x9' carl's screen. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-30-2013, 11:58 AM

I'm actually looking at purchasing some outdoor rock speakers as well. I asked a buddy of mine, who designs and installs HT for a lot of players on local professional sports teams, about his thoughts and he said that the three that he'd look at are Paradigm, Niles Audio and Klipsch. And, that it was mainly an aesthetic issue as they all look different. He seems to feel that there's not really a huge sonic upside to either one.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-30-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashmahn View Post

I'm actually looking at purchasing some outdoor rock speakers as well. I asked a buddy of mine, who designs and installs HT for a lot of players on local professional sports teams, about his thoughts and he said that the three that he'd look at are Paradigm, Niles Audio and Klipsch. And, that it was mainly an aesthetic issue as they all look different. He seems to feel that there's not really a huge sonic upside to either one.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate that very much. Hopefully their's not a big sonic difference between the speakers you mentioned and the outdoor speaker depot ones that I bought. Like I said, I'm not looking for audiophile sounds just enough to fill my space. My audiophile speakers I have in my home theater! Thanks again for your help.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-16-2013, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

For anyone wondering my outdoor 7.2 surround is up and running with the rock speakers and it is fantastic. I had to adjust the decibel levels for each speaker in the receiver menu but after that no problem at all and the sound is spectacular. Whether listening to music or watching a blue ray.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-06-2013, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharris2007 View Post

For anyone wondering my outdoor 7.2 surround is up and running with the rock speakers and it is fantastic. I had to adjust the decibel levels for each speaker in the receiver menu but after that no problem at all and the sound is spectacular. Whether listening to music or watching a blue ray.

I was going to comment on this but saw that I'm a little late. My neighbor has some of the 5.5 or 5" speakers from OSD (outdoorspeakerdirect) and the sound they put out is very impressive. Very clear for such a small rock. I wouldn't waste any money on expensive high end speakers for outside. I also ordered a couple of pairs of rock speakers (6.5" ones) from OSD and should have them this week.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-16-2013, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
damelon,

Let us know what you think when you get them setup. I'm looking for some myself.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

damelon,

Let us know what you think when you get them setup. I'm looking for some myself.

Hopefully this will be tonight or this weekend. Got my screen frame assmbled and the speakers/projector arrived in their boxes, just need to get them all plugged in.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-16-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

Hopefully this will be tonight or this weekend. Got my screen frame assmbled and the speakers/projector arrived in their boxes, just need to get them all plugged in.

oh good, I'll expect some pics than wink.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 08-16-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScAndal View Post

oh good, I'll expect some pics than wink.gif

My entire indoor theater / patio / outdoor theater is being documented in my theater build thread. I'm going to post a LOT of pictures very soon for a lot of the outdoor things including the unboxing of all the gear, frame assembly, rock speakers, screen, projector stand, etc in the next day or two.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1350179
post #10 of 11 Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damelon View Post

My entire indoor theater / patio / outdoor theater is being documented in my theater build thread. I'm going to post a LOT of pictures very soon for a lot of the outdoor things including the unboxing of all the gear, frame assembly, rock speakers, screen, projector stand, etc in the next day or two.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1350179

eek.gif...subscribed!
post #11 of 11 Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Posted pics yesterday in my thread btw
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version