Low Voltage Underground Speaker Wire Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran two sets of low voltage landscape wire for my outdoor speakers and forgot to identify + or - before I ran them. I made the connections and they sound great but after playing them for about a week or two one channel cuts out and I switch the wires of that channel and they work fine until another few weeks then the same thing happens. Each time I switch the connections they work fine for a while then the same thing happens, I was hoping one of these switches I finally got it right but the same thing eventually happens. I also switched receivers so I know it is not a receiver problem.

Is there any way to figure out the correct connections since the wires are not marked?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
This really doesn't sound like a problem with the connections being reversed.

Even if you had them backwards you would have speaker phase issues... but it wouldn't cause them to cut in and out.

Are you sure you don't have a problem with water getting into the cable you buried or some other cable integrity problem?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
When you write "low voltage landscape wire" are you referring to the type used for 12 volt lighting. If so and its black there is a raised section of groves running on the outside of one side that is there for polarity. If you can switch the wires and return to operation, I would think what you have is a connection problem, try using just a little silicone grease to seal it.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think I have a water problem, they are low voltage landscape wires made for direct burial no conduit needed. Every time I switch the wires it works great for at least a few weeks that's why I thought it is a problem with the + / - connections?? And it only seems to be the right channel now.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac37 View Post

I don't think I have a water problem, they are low voltage landscape wires made for direct burial no conduit needed. Every time I switch the wires it works great for at least a few weeks that's why I thought it is a problem with the + / - connections?? And it only seems to be the right channel now.

Low voltage landscape cable is self sealing, but the exposed copper is not and the silicone grease on the connection will keep the copper and the connection clean. Low voltage 12 volt lighting systems have enough power and amp draw to bridge the corrosion that develops on the exposed copper, that an audio amp does not. Take a look at the low voltage lighting connection and see what I am referring to about self sealing.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I plan on using electrical butt connectors and shrink tube as they are just wire nut connected now. But why would they work fine each time I reverse the speaker cables at the receiver if the outdoor connection is an issue?