Sound Setup - Need a push in the right direction - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-20-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am investigating options for an outdoor theater setup for my house. I need some assistance on narrowing down options on the sound setup. I am technical and like to research fiddle with things. The breadth of information on sound is somewhat daunting finding a starting point.

I'll most likely be going with a 12 x 6.75 screen and leaning toward an Epson 710HD for the projector. Video/audio source will be a laptop/pc most of the time. The equipment will be put up and taken door with each showing. The showings will typically be small(ish) crowds (<30 people)

For the sound I am thinking of starting with a 3 speaker setup (L / R / Center) and eventually get a sub and move to 3.1.

While cost is a big factor I want to make sure I get the *right* solution. Or at least started in the right direction and have easy growth to the *right* solution. I am not an audiophile by any stretch, but want to make sure I get something sufficient for an enjoyable evening.

I currently do not have anything "laying around" that can be re-purposed for this.

Starting at the high level. It looks like a decision needs to be made to go with either: Receiver/Passive Speakers or Mixer/Powered Speakers. I do not necessarily know the pros/cons of either solution for this application. Can anybody provided some thoughts on when to use one vs. the other?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-24-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 10
I've used both powered and passive setups for my backyard theater. I'm currently using a passive setup for the sole purpose of easier to setup/teardown. My sound system is a pair of EV ZX1 8" speakers connected to a QSC amp via speakon cable. Instead of having to run power cords out to each speaker, I can just run one cable to each since the power and signal are combined. Speakers + amp ran about $1000 total. The speaker stands are fixed and made of wood so all I have to do is set the speakers on top and plug in everything. I also have the Epson projector you mentioned and it's great. Not a home theater projector by any stretch, but it's bright and cheap and perfect for outdoor theater setups.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
I use a cheap 5.1 Home Theater in a box (HTiB). Comes with everythnig you need and unless you're tryingt ofikll a HUGE space, it should work out for you. I leave mine in a small plastic garden shed converted to an outdoor equipment cabinet. I just put out the screen, projector and sub when ready to show. Takes 5 minutes to setup and take down. Everything else stays conneted in the cabinet.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Tags
Epson V11h475020 318 Inches Powerlite Home Cinema 710 Hd 720p 3lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page