Outdoor Theater/Bar/Grill - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-21-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First a little background. The location is in the center of a 90 acre farm in PA. The property consists of 2 stone farm houses, one built in 1767 and the other in 1817, as well as several barns/outbuildings. A lot of the buildings are still mostly original, and like most farms the buildings are packed tightly together, so placement is a bit of a challenge since I really don't want to ruin the look of the place.

About 30 feet behind my house is the old smokehouse and about where I want to build. The smokehouse was probably build early 1800's, is hole/peg construction, and consists of a stone foundation 2'-3' high about 10' across. My brother drew a few of my ideas for me in sketch up.

Essentially I want remove the framework of the smokehouse and turn the foundation into a bar top. The smokehouse itself is pretty beat, and hasn't been used for 30-40 years, the stone foundation looks perfect.

I plan to build a 24'x24' covered area supported on 6 6x6" posts ranging in height from 8,10,12 feet giving me a 2.4:12 pitched roof. The front will have a 10'x24' pergola. What isn't modeled is in front of the pergola I plan to have a fire pit, and a 18'x10' motorized screen.

I started work on this about a month ago, but took pictures and I will get this thread up to date over the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Didn't update over the weekend, made a push to get my sewer line and screen posts in before the heat wave this week.

My phone was dead when I started demolition, so I only have a pic of the structure once dismantled.

That weekend my dad and I excavated to grade. I plan to have about 5-6" of stone with asphalt on top. I may add a layer of pavers when $ permits.

Next day we set up strings and batter boards and started auguring post holes.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

We set the posts the following Wednesday

Stone delivery

Braces off

Dug a hole/trench for my water/sewer/electrical/av pipes since I won't be able to get equipment in once my beams are set.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-25-2013, 07:40 AM

Liked: 23
Looks like a nice project you're starting.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town oil View Post

Looks like a nice project you're starting.

Thanks, I can't wait for the ground work to be over so I can start on the fun stuff.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Beam setting went smoother than I anticipated. 4 main beams each consist of 4 2"x12"x24' held together with 74 6" long trusslok-z screws. I also have 2 smaller beams set on a 45 degree angle to try and avoid charring from the firepit.

My original plan was to lift the beams in place with my tractor, but the fact that two of my beams are 12' 6" in the air, and my worksite is still 1' below grade, a 14' lift wasn't happening. The beams themselves each weight around 700lbs. Luckily my dad just bought a bucket truck with a 1000lb material handler which was up to the job.

Since the beams are a true 6" wide I opted to set them directly on the posts. I made a "saddle" for them using 3' long 4"x6" screwed to each side of the post.

Got them all set before the storm rolled in

post #7 of 11 Old 06-26-2013, 11:01 AM

Got any plans for outdoor heating? I'm sure in the fall and spring those nights get pretty cool
post #8 of 11 Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

I plan to address heating and cooling. I built a greenhouse for my wife at the end of winter and I incorporated an evaporative misting system, I plan to run misting pipes around the parameter of the roof for cooling. On an average day it brings the greenhouse temps down by 15-20 degrees F, I'm hoping for 10 degrees for this application. I also plan to install at least 2 ceiling fans.

As far as heat, at the one end I'll have the fire pit, while the fire can't be roaring if your watching a movie, the fact that it's in a shallow pit really cuts down on light. Back at the bar area I will either have 2-3 of those dome propane patio heaters, or electric radiant heaters hanging from the ceiling, or a combination of the two.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-27-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

The last couple nights I worked on rafters. I need to take some better pictures, I always seemed to get done when it was pretty dark out.

I had my roof steel delivered and installed it in one night, only took me till 1:00am wink.gif

post #10 of 11 Old 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM

Awesome so far! I was actually going to recommend misting system and propane heaters for heating/cooling as that is what I use in my semi-outdoor theater/gameroom. Keep on posting pictures of the good work.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-27-2014, 06:43 AM

thats looking amazing, congrats!

Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page