Outdoor speakers: Should I keep my amp outside or inside? (re: volume, power, etc) - AVS Forum
Outdoor Theaters > Outdoor speakers: Should I keep my amp outside or inside? (re: volume, power, etc)
sofakng's Avatar sofakng 05:38 AM 08-12-2013
I'm planning to have a small and simple setup for outdoor speakers.

The speakers are unpowered Yamaha NS-AW150W 2-Way Outdoor Speakers and they will be powered by a standalone LP-2020A+ Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Mini Amplifier connected to a Raspberry Pi for DLNA audio playback.

Where should I put the amp? It's a small box but needs to connect to the speakers (obviously) and Raspberry Pi plus a power source. It's easiest to put it in the basement and just run speaker cable to the outdoor speakers, but then I can't really control the volume or turn the amp on/off unless I go inside the house.

The other option is to put everything outside in a weatherproof box but that seems really, really ugly.

ScAndal's Avatar ScAndal 08:12 AM 08-12-2013
sofakng,

I'm planning to do the exact same thing and was wondering if you've tested out the amp yet? I'm wondering how powerful these amps are because I have a huge open space and want pretty high volume.
sofakng's Avatar sofakng 09:44 AM 08-12-2013
I haven't mounted anything outside yet, but I did test it inside and they sounded fantastic. I was able to raise the volume quite a bit and it played without any distortion, etc.

I'm really happy with the speakers and amp for sure.
DtommyD's Avatar DtommyD 01:34 AM 08-18-2013
You can't use a remote for the amp obviously so that means either the amp goes outside or you control the volume of the ras pi. I'm assuming the ras pi will be online and in your home network. Not sure what program/app you'll be using on the pi but if you use xbmc for instance you can find a bunch of remote apps for any iphone or android. Turn your amp up and control the volume remotely through the pi.

You might also want to check out an inline volume control for the speaker wires. That might be easiest.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?keyword=volume+control
damelon's Avatar damelon 12:12 PM 08-20-2013
So I put all of my A/V gear in my basement closet against the rear wall of the house and ran all the wires into there. I didn't setup an IR repeater, but the Pioneer receiver I purchased does include an iPhone amp which lets me control the input source, volume, treble, bass, siriusXm channel, etc. Works great and keeps everything dry.
DtommyD's Avatar DtommyD 12:54 PM 08-20-2013
That sounds like a good solution. Now the trick is to have a fast teardown plan for rain / wind. I won't touch my projector for 15 minutes after it shuts down. Not cool when it starts sprinkling and you're cursing the weatherman while holding an umbrella over your projector. Good times.
damelon's Avatar damelon 12:19 PM 08-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtommyD View Post

That sounds like a good solution. Now the trick is to have a fast teardown plan for rain / wind. I won't touch my projector for 15 minutes after it shuts down. Not cool when it starts sprinkling and you're cursing the weatherman while holding an umbrella over your projector. Good times.

Yeah not much you can do about the projector, unless you sort of build a "roof" for it or some sort of cover.
tlogan6797's Avatar tlogan6797 06:51 AM 08-23-2013
I modified a small 2-shelf plastic cabinet designed for garden tools. I leave the amp, the DVD player and the Roku out in the cabinet. My screen is on a lightweight wood frame that hangs on poles attached to the deck railing using simple heavy duty picture frame hooks. Once I put everything out for the season, it takes 5 minutes to hang the screen, bring out the projector, pull sub and the cables to connenct the projector out from the cabinet and I'm ready to go.

Five minutes to take down the screen and put the sub and cables back inside the cabinet.
Quote:
You can't use a remote for the amp obviously so that means either the amp goes outside or you control the volume of the ras pi.

I'd try an IR-RF converter. MUCH simpler.
DtommyD's Avatar DtommyD 10:47 PM 08-26-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post

I'd try an IR-RF converter. MUCH simpler.

I agree, but the amp in question (see link above) only has physical knobs.

on the IR repeater thought. I actually use on old RCA one because all of the newer ones seem to run on 2.4ghz. The same as wifi of course. I used a video sender from X10 (also sent IR) that killed my wifi if it was on the wrong channel. Solved that until it locked up my neighbors. Whoops. Where is all that "white space" we were promised when we all switched over to HD TV?
coytee's Avatar coytee 04:24 PM 09-02-2013

I know it's a pain in the hiney but, can't you simply pull the gear out when you want a movie and put it back when done?

That's how we've done it.  Drag a table to yard, set equipment, put screen between two trees, fire up my backhoe/loader to carry speakers and start assembling.

The Tim Channel's Avatar The Tim Channel 01:03 PM 02-22-2014
I dedicated equipment to my outdoor theater to solve the issue you are facing, as well as to make it easy to play music on my deck at any time I wanted. Please note the heavily armored waterproof enclosure I used to protect my equipment from the Mississippi rain and humidity. You may want to protect your equipment in a more secure fashion. (NOT SHOWN - the sixteen legs of the dogs who shared my patio and deck and loved that equipment so much they'd kill to protect it)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/timtimes/sets/72157603204872782/

Enjoy.
Up
Mobile  Desktop