Aluminum Frame? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering an aluminum frame. Light weight, strong and can hoisted easier than the EMT (that as a frame only is heavy). Just wondering if anyone else besides the two I have read about has any feedback to this? I plan to use 1 inch aluminum square tubing. I plan on welding the aluminum to make the 10 x 20 frame including welding aluminum eye-bolts at the top to hoist up with my pulley system. I will paint the aluminum to prevent hot spots.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am hoping that with this light weight, if it fell, it wouldn't kill anyone.

Running out of options since I plan on buying a Carl's flex-white screen $$$. I want to be able to put it up and take it down with ease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

This is an outdoor frame and screen.
post #3 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafa123 View Post

I plan on welding the aluminum to make the 10 x 20 frame including welding aluminum eye-bolts at the top to hoist up with my pulley system...I am hoping that with this light weight, if it fell, it wouldn't kill anyone.
I think you are going to need numerous stretchers in both directions to make it rigid enough with 1" aluminum tubing.

So, you have the equipment and skills to weld thin wall aluminum tubing?

If you are counting on light weight in case it falls, you are starting from the wrong square. The point is to make sure it doesn't fall. If you cannot do that, don't do the screen.
post #4 of 14 Old 08-26-2013, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Equipment and skills are here. I was using a tongue-in-cheek comment on falling. I originally used the setup from Creative Shelters. I have it staked down in every possible combination. Still the storms in the South are severe and I need something I can put up and down with ease. In the beginning, I lost (due to damage) 3 screens (cheap $30 tarps). Now I am upgrading to something that I can store with ease. I plan on welding 2 braces to the backside for more structural integrity. I am using a hoisting system to hoist it up and down for easier storage. The biggest reason for the light weight solution is the screen that I will purchase after I weld the frame together. It may be a more expensive solution but the screen selection is my main concern (ease of install and take down and safe storage.

Still would like to here other outdoor solutions for a movie screen with aluminum.
post #5 of 14 Old 08-26-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Aluminum Frame.jpg 24k .jpg file AppleMark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aluminum Frame.jpg (24.1 KB, 15 views)
post #6 of 14 Old 08-26-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

The reason for the backside attachment is so that the screen will not have to come in contact with the frame.

I will weld 2 eye bolts to the top for hoisting.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

The frame is done. I will post pictures tomorrow I hope. The frame is 10'2" x 21'. I am going to order a custom made Carl's screen for it and let the fun begin. I will be able to hoist the frame into position and lower it to remove the screen when not in use. I am thinking of adding a wheel to one end of the frame making it easier to move around once down.

I have already tried the hoist and it works great. I still have to prime and paint the aluminum. The frame became more than I thought. The frame consists of smaller 5x7 smaller frames to provide stability. The welds are on the backside so the screen will not be pressed or rest against any part of the frame.

Pictures are coming. And yes, it is very light weight and looks good. It will look better with paint.

I invested $226 in aluminum and it is much light than the EMT and just as strong. After working with it I can say that you could use self-tapping screws and aluminum pieces to connect the material if you do not weld.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

frame 1.jpg 405k .jpg file The frame is done. The frame is 10'2" x 21'. I am going to order a custom made Carl's screen for it and let the fun begin. I will be able to hoist the frame into position and lower it to remove the screen when not in use. I am thinking of adding a wheel to one end of the frame making it easier to move around once down. I have already tried the hoist and it works great. I still have to prime and paint the aluminum. The frame became more than I thought. The frame consists of smaller 5x7 smaller frames to provide stability. The welds are on the backside so the screen will not be pressed or rest against any part of the frame. And yes, it is very light weight and looks good. It will look better with paint. I invested $226 in aluminum and it is much light than the EMT and just as strong. After working with it I can say that you could use self-tapping screws and aluminum pieces to connect the material if you do not weld.
I offset the support frame in the rear so there would not be any issue with the screen being against it. I added the center piece for more support. It is further on the back supports so again no problem with the screen rubbing or coming into contact with it. I can handle this by myself and it is strong yet light weight.
Something you can hoist up and down is probably the best way to go. Why, you ask? Well these things do become sails and the EMT will get bent. I don't care how well you think you have it secured, it will come down. Quick dis-assembly is not realistic when you have the various pipes and fittings. If you really enjoy this stuff then find a solution that is easy to put up and take down (without a thousand separate pieces). I could have easily have sectioned this with screws to more easily store (maybe next time).
If you need specifics, more than I have provided, just let me know.
frame 2.jpg 469k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frame 1.jpg (405.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg frame 2.jpg (469.2 KB, 29 views)
post #9 of 14 Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

post #10 of 14 Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Been finished. I guess I will post pic now. Keep in mind, putting the screen on and hoisting the frame into place takes approximately 15 minutes. The longest portion of time are the bungee cords. I hoist it by myself and it is ready for viewing.

Myoutdoorscreen.jpg 173k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Myoutdoorscreen.jpg (173.3 KB, 46 views)
post #11 of 14 Old 05-04-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 178
It's very dainty and thin, but looks like it's supporting the stretched screen nicely. How much would you guess it weighs all put together? That's really inspiring to look at, I hope you'll post a few pictures of it with some film on there after dark. What projector will you be using to fill that monster?

Simple <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room, build in a day, takedown in an hour.
Easy $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-15-2014, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Honest to goodness, it doesn't feel any heavier than 20 pounds (if that). I hoist it and it goes up with ease. The aluminum holds up great and I am extremely satisfied because taking it down or putting it up takes me, by myself, approximately 15 minutes. This includes lowering the frame. unfolding the screen, attaching it with ball ties, lifting it back into place, connecting the projector, turning on the projector, making little adjustments (I am a perfectionist), and sitting down to watch.

I will be putting some pictures on soon. I am waiting on College Football to start.

I use the Epson PowerLite X12.
post #13 of 14 Old 08-15-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to upload a video but the size is too great for the forum site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.41.59 PM.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	763.4 KB
ID:	214497   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 11.42.18 PM.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	214505  

Last edited by jafa123; 08-15-2014 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Trying to fix pics.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-15-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

It's huge and a hit with friends and family. Not to mention the Mancave behind it. 1200 square feet, Central heat and Air, 5 flat screen TV's (32 to 65 inch), and all connected to main house Satellite system. 3 refrigerators, a full bathroom, full internet wired and wireless, and Wii, XBOX 360, PS2 and PS3.

Good times and closing in on retirement. Whew! Considering adding an in-ground pool. My season starts in the Fall not the Spring. And now we get the SEC Network (my new favorite channel). I am proud sorry.
Reply Outdoor Theaters