Scratching my head because of aspect ratio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-22-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi all I am days away from ordering a projector - I am in South Africa and a friend was going to buy it for me in NY and suddenly I am so confused .

Firstly I live in a farm in the middle of the countryside .

I want to show old classic movies - blade runner etc and newer movies Life of pi etc to the local community - we are a farming community and a sit down 'drive' in will be great .

The people will sit down on my field with their picnics and watch the movies , about 100 people on a 40m x 60m field .

All was going well with the setup , the screen -an aspect ratio 16:9 flexi white screen arrived today from Carl's place (16ft x 9ft ) , my speakers 2 x 400w active samsons 15' and 1 x 800w active sub are on their way .

Now the projector and thus my question and my panic - I have ordered a Benq sh910 because it is very bright and seemed to have very good features but suddenly while reading up about movies it seems I may have made a mistake and the aspect ratio of this projector will not be optimal for showing movies and leave me with black strips on my screen .

Is there a good projector which is specifically for movies , can I get the Benq to work - I am even prepared to look at buying another screen but  dont want my audience seeing anything else but a 'full' screen .

What to do ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Short answer is NO - All projectors I know of have 16:9 native aspect ratio panels. This means that a 16:9 movie (Avatar, Batman, Tron, Disney Pixar movies, etc) will fill your whole screen. However, 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies like Lord of the Rings, etc. will have black bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

There really is no inexpensive solution to this issue. One solution is an anamorphic lens with a 2.35:1 screen, but this adds significant expense and complexity.

Different formats are just part of the world we live in right now. There is no easy solution to this question. As for me, I use a 16:9 screen, and for 2.35:1 movies, my JVC projector has a lens memory setting to shift the image to the bottom of the screen (scrolling the bottom black bar off the screen), and my Seymour AV screen has a second roller with a black mask that comes down to mask off the upper black bar. Nifty, but it may be more complicated than what you are looking for...

You could possibly make your own temporary masking panels to attach to the screen when watching 2.35:1 widescreen movies. Use stiff cardboard or thin plywood covered with black velvet. You could potentially use velcro or magnets to attach the panels to the screen...?

Fine Music, Movies, Wine, and Friends - A Life Well Lived!
post #3 of 3 Old 10-23-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks DMark1 for the advice , very tricksy this journey - a couple of months ago I thought - easy peasy - get projector , some stretchy fabric and my home hi-fi and off we go - ha ha . Now my life is filled with words like aspect ration , dynamic contrast , lumins - aaargh but the journey commences - going to pick up the sound on the weekend - 2 X Samson auro D415A 's and 2 X Samson 1200subs so at least if this doesnt work we should be be able to have a rocking party on the field :)

Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page