Pre wireing for future outside Projector movie watching - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-27-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I'm close on getting drywall into my basement on my basement finishing project. I was just thinking that in the future It would be cool to be able to bring out my projector to the back yard and watch a movie or a Game out by a bombfire with the family. So what I'm wondering is now before I seal up the walls in my basement if i should run a cable line out to the back yard and some network as well. Also I'm not sure about a speaker setup. I suppose I could look to get some wifi speaker setup down the road. Again this is just now looking at what I should think about doing before I seal up the basement walls seeing my cable and network homerun is down there.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-27-2014, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The more I'm thinking about this the more I think I should prewire or at least run some conduit from the basement location of my AV equipment out to the back wall of my house for future use. I don't have a patio yet but plan to add one within the next year or so after the basement is complete. I will already have an 7.1 avr down there running the media room, a 5.1 avr running my basement bar area then could add another avr for the backyard. And as long as it can do the IOS/android apps I can control the volume and inputs through my phone while outside on the patio. I'm thinking it would be better to wait on running the cable yet since I don't really need it there yet and shouldn't have it exposed to the elements really?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-28-2014, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you already have the materials at hand, I'd recommend pre-wiring. If not, then run some conduit so you can wire later if you decide you want to go that route.

Another alternative is to mount some sort of junction or wiring box to the outside of the house and run conduit to that. You could mount jacks inside the box so all you would have to do when setting up outside is to connect patch cables of the appropriate length from the box to the outdoor equipment. That would keep most of the jacks/wiring protected from the elements, but not require you to dig up the yard to wire everything. Using a durable connector like SpeakOns would allow you to connect/disconnect easily and not have to worry about somebody tripping over a cable and pulling out a banana plug or shorting something, plus they are somewhat water-resistant by design.

If either of your two AVR's already have networking capability, check to see if they support multiple-zone audio. A second audio zone would allow you to run sound to outdoor speakers (usually only 2-channel though) without the need for an additional receiver.

Just some thoughts to consider.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-28-2014, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yep you read my mind. I was thinking on this and decided I'll run the case to the location and since I do have the cable on hand I'll run that with the pipe to a weather proof type junction box. Then terminate my network and coax lines there and as you said just connect patch cables to it when needed. As for speakers I'll proabably just coil them up in the box for later use when I do put down a patio. But at least I'll be ready this summer to do some outdoor movie nights!

Thanks for the input!
post #5 of 6 Old 02-28-2014, 01:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sounds like a plan, I can't recommend the SpeakOns enough for speaker connections. Been using them on my portable rack and they're great. Easy to install, durable, and very cheap.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Cool thanks for the tip.. I'll definitely check them out!
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page