Need to know if this set up will be OK - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-28-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I have a 12' x 20' Pergola outside that I want to put an outdoor "theater" in. I am planning on using a 120" 16x9 white screen with 1.1 gain from Elite Screens on Amazon. I plan on setting it in the center of the wide (20') section as the set up has us sitting facing out from the house. I am also planning on getting the BenQ W1080ST Projector as I will need a short throw. It looks like I should be able to set it up 6'7" from the screen for a 120" picture.

I can't decide if I should put a tarp up and use a computer speaker setup (so that I wouldn't need a receiver) or get some outdoor speakers. I can get a new set of Logitech Z906 500w 5.1 speakers for $200 that just connect directly to the projector. Otherwise I need a receiver and some nice outdoor speakers that will cost A LOT more.

As far as setting up the projector, I can either just set it on a coffee table or I can mount it to the top of the pergola.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-01-2014, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I'm not sure what you mean by mentioning a tarp. If you are thinking about leaving your speakers out in the elements then you need to spend the extra $ and get some outdoor speakers. Since you are going to have to pack up you projector and your media source I would recommend getting a 5.1 HTIB that has HDMI in/out it doesn't add much to your setup time will give you more options as far as you inputs go and will sound better also.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-01-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. I meant a tarp to cover the whole pergola. It only rains about 2 weeks a year (East Bay area in California).

I would like to leave it out although it does hit 90+ during the Summer. Maybe leave the speakers up and have a quick disconnect for the projector (or just use the projector on the table).

Of course having a tarp over the pergola kind of defeats the purpose...

Oh, instead of a home theater in a box, shouldn't I just get a receiver and some outdoor speakers? I would just have to pack up the receiver and the projector, right?

post #4 of 5 Old 03-01-2014, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

For some reason my wife really doesn't want me to get a projector. She would rather I get a 65" 4K TV for the house. Small dilemma here. My plan was to get the projector now for decent price (less than $2,000 for the whole setup) and later get a 65" OLED 4K TV. Hmmmmm.

post #5 of 5 Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

sticking to the plan since it will be a while before there is an affordable 65" OLED 4K TV...

Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page