Just another newbie TRYING to Put Together a Backyard Theater - Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-21-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Greetings to all of you gifted audio/video/backyard theater masters! Let me begin with the fact that I am pretty much audio/video challenged myself and therefore am counting on the kindness (and knowledge) of strangers to illuminate me in this area of "Outdoor Theaters."

I will start with what I have on hand thus far. An in-the-box (almost) Optoma HD25e projector, a nearly new Magnavox Bluer ay DVD player and a working Rolls MX122 miniMix Pro Mic/Source mixer from a yard sale. Now, here comes the plea for guidance, information and help. 

The distance from my covered patio, across the pool to the location for the screen falls somewhere in the range of 20' to 28'. My first question is will the Optoma project clearly at that distance? I have some grasp on throw distance, but it's pretty much by my fingertips. It is a 1.5 - 1.8 throw ratio but don't know if 2800 lumens will be bright enough at that distance. There are almost no lights around our house.

Which brings me to the next question - adding a screen to the mix. I think I have settled on the Camp Chef brand but not sure of the best size. Would the 120" suffice or am I better off with the 144" size?

I had read or heard somewhere that the Rolls MX122 can be hooked up to the blue ray player or maybe it's to the projector AND speakers, but I can't really find any helpful information (for me anyway) that clarifies the details. What type of speakers would one use with MX122? Can it handle more than 2 speakers and are 2 speakers even enough for an outdoor theater? A salesman at Best Buy suggested a sound bar and separate woofer and place it closer to the audience as opposed to out by the screen, but the sound bar I looked at has an HDMI hookup and the mixer doesn't so not sure if that would even be compatible. Easy hook-up and breakdown is important - the less cables, wires etc., the better.

I realize that this mixture of components probably isn't optimal for a great backyard theater but I am hoping that they will certainly make for a festive facsimile until then. Any help, any suggestions, any information at all would be so greatly appreciated. I send my deepest thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2014, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Lumens should be fine, but at 20ft the smallest image you can throw with that PJ is about 160” diagonal. At 28’ you’re out to about 215”. You’ll probably want a bigger screen than 144”.
The Rolls is just a mixer. It won’t power speakers. You either need powered speakers or a power amp to go with it. The Blu Ray probably only has HDMI out so you will need to convert that to an analog signal to get it into the mixer.
You’re probably better off using either a receiver with HDMI inputs or a source with analog outputs.
I don’t think what you have will really work together without some additional components.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks so much for your quick reply and for the helpful information. To begin with it looks like I'll have to find a different place to relocate the projector and a screen. A 17' screen (215" diagonal)  is taller than my house - people two blocks over would be able to see that!! Maybe even the 144" is gonna be a bit too big. Looks like the MX122 will go in my yard sale and I'll have to find a used receiver or spring for a decent and hopefully affordable one with HDMI capabilities. I've got a pair of Bose 161 speakers lying around so can use those until I hit the lotto. 

One last question for you - what are your feelings/comments about the sound bar and woofer suggested by Best Buy - the Sony HTCT370 or the HTCT770 were his recommendations, though he pushed for the 770 which is about $100 more? I wonder if it would produce a satisfactory sound for outdoors or if I am just better off using standard speakers? I really do appreciate your time and your input. I wish there was a way to return the kindness. Thank you.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Have you thought about rear projection the camp chefs will do either method front/rear. As for sound I don't think you will be happy with a sound bar. I would find a 5.1 reciever and speakers from ebay or Craig's list.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-18-2014, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post
Have you thought about rear projection the camp chefs will do either method front/rear. As for sound I don't think you will be happy with a sound bar. I would find a 5.1 reciever and speakers from ebay or Craig's list.
Try this projector calculator: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm
Reply Outdoor Theaters
Gear in this thread - HTCT370 by PriceGrabber.com