Looking for an outdoor projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys, I'm looking to start an outdoor theatre.  Was thinking of the Optoma HD25LV because of the added brightness over the BenQ1080ST.  I don't know much about this stuff but would rather get something that will work in a little light so we don't have to wait until 10pm in the summer to start the movies.  Thoughts?  Ideas?  Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been looking at this as well.

I was looking at them all (Epson,Optoma, BenQ and Viewsonic) and quite extensively... Too much as my wife would say. I finally settled on ordering the Viewsonic PJD7820 HD. Most of the reviews from tech sites (other than AVS) as well as customers who own it were very positive on this unit. It has full 1080p with 3000 Lumens for about $700. I will be shooting this on my 144" Camp Chef screen and I will do both front and rear projections on it outside during the summer months. I thought the 3000 Lumens may allow me to start the shows a few minutes early as well which is one reason I opted for this over the others with 2-2500 Lumens.

I will be using this solely as an outdoor projector with a separate sound solution. I will maybe set up an occasional big football game in the winter or something like that too, but certainly not in a home theater situation.

I thought for $700 with all of it's features it would be a good fit for what I am trying to do.

Good Luck
post #3 of 6 Old 05-30-2014, 01:41 PM

My wife tells me I have an unhealthy obsession with tech research. I spent about 2 weeks looking at projectors. My top end budget was $450 and I narrowed the field down to Viewsonic Epson and Optoma. I ended up choosing the Optoma H180X as my outdoor projector. Ordered it off Amazon and arrives Monday. Will be building a 12 x 9 foot screen from pvc. My screen material is billboard tarp.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeAndBug View Post
My wife tells me I have an unhealthy obsession with tech research. I spent about 2 weeks looking at projectors. My top end budget was $450 and I narrowed the field down to Viewsonic Epson and Optoma. I ended up choosing the Optoma H180X as my outdoor projector. Ordered it off Amazon and arrives Monday. Will be building a 12 x 9 foot screen from pvc. My screen material is billboard tarp.
Just wondering how this worked out for you... Would you mind sharing what you have learned from this project (what worked well, and what would you do different)?

Thanks in advance.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithmr View Post
Just wondering how this worked out for you... Would you mind sharing what you have learned from this project (what worked well, and what would you do different)?

Thanks in advance.
Love the H180X. I have no complaints about my choice. Of course if I let myself go back and look and higher end models I will wonder why I didnt save a little longer but in reality this projector serves its purpose for my needs. My outdoor screen ended up being 16x9 constructed from pvc and billboard vinyl. I am happy with my screen as well but would love a permanent outdoor screen. That is not an option though in my neighborhood so my weekend screen sufficiently fills the void though the minor wrinkles and creases do annoy me and me alone. My love for this has grown enough for me to build a second indoor screen in the basement dubbed the "Six feet under Cinema" with a screen size of 10x6. Much happier with the indoor screen, its built out of dry eraser board with the seams caulked and the entire surface painted with Behr silver screen. Awesome picture! Now my next project is to work on sound...the sound bar paired with the projector just doesnt cut it. I need bigger sound to match the big picture. Overall, there isnt mush I would do differently other than wasting my money on the sound bar. I should have skipped over that and gone a little bigger
post #6 of 6 Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 AM

Liked: 0
Thanks for the information! I have narrowed my choices down to the 180HX and Epson 730HD. I have almost pulled the trigger on each of these LOL... but for some reason I keep wanting to research more.
thanks again, and enjoy!
Reply Outdoor Theaters
Gear in this thread - PJD7820 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page