1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwh92020

post #1 of 7 Old 06-18-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor Screen + Projector

Im looking for a reliable outdoor projector + screen (on a budget). Im not looking for anything too tech'd out, mostly interested in decent quality.

Ive read a lot about camp chef vs visual apex.
Im steering towards visual apex 16x9 120" but would like some insight if there is other screens that maybe cheeper/reliable.

As for projectors... i have no idea where to start.
What i do know is that i'd like a decent quality 1080p.
Not interested in 3D.
Something that isn't too expensive maybe $300-400 (if that is even a realistic price range)

Last edited by JGREEN14; 06-18-2014 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2014, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Here is my 2 cents, Outdoor theater is more of a social event than sitting in a indoor theater. There will be more movement and talking as well as cooking/eating possibly of other thing such as a firepit going, so spending a fortune on a projector, since light conditions will vary from dusk to twilight will vary and are noncontrolable, is pointless. Size of the screen is much more important than image quality once you reach certian point. Brightness or lumuns is also a very important factor. One of the most important aspects of outdoor viewing is sound you havent addressed that in your questions.
I like the Camp Chef products for their portablity and you have front or rear projection as an option, I have the OS144.
I use a business class projector Epson EX6220 WXGA resolution which in my opinion looks great on the outdoor screen.I also use this projector at work for presentations so that was part of my reasoning in projector choice.
For sound i use a Yamaha RX-V671 7.1ch and generally i'll do 5.1ch with a powered sub.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-25-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don’t think you’ll find a 1080 PJ for 3-400, even used.

I use an Epson 725HD which is WXGA like RollTide’s, but alittle better contrast. You can find some of the older Epsons (710HD, 705HD,VS335W) refurbished for under $500 that do a fine job.

For a screen you might try Carl’s Place http://www.carlofet.com/ . He sells finished screens and connectors to make a frame with 1” EMT conduit. A bit cheaper than camp chef or visual apex, but also a bit more time consuming to assemble. You could also just pick up some blackout cloth at a local fabric store and make a screen for under $30. It’s usually only 54” wide so you’re limited to about a110” screen unless you put a seem in it.

Like RollTide said, you’re not going to get theater quality outside, but you don’t need to. There’s just something about a movie on a big screen outside. As long as it’s a decent image and everybody can hear, everybody seems to enjoy it.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-26-2014, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I think 1080P is not a necessity for outdoor viewing. A good 720P projector will be more than enough for all but the most discriminating guest (and who needs them?) I use an Optoma HD66 (720p, 2500 lumens, 4000:1 - paid $350 used on Craigslist for it with a new lamp) on a 11 ft Black Out Cloth screen that I built. Everyone who has seen a movie on it thinks it looks great. I have a Camp Chef OS120l thqat I use for rear projection in the garage and it works well. I can say that for front projection (I believe the Vapex is only front), the BOC is a superior screen surface.

Check out Carl's Place: http://www.carlofet.com/ He has numerous projection screen materials as well as kits to build a screen. FYI- My BOC screen spent 1 year in Phoenix exposed to the weather 24/7 and 1 year here in Oklahoma exposed 24/7 and it is holding up fine. My only concern for it is hail, not much will protect it from that. Another screen material that is very popular in the DIY arena is billboard vinyl. IT is string, relatively easy to work with and yields a great image. If you're lucky, you can find it for free at a outdoor advertising company.

Save the $ on 1080p and put them into a good 720p projector, good screen and good audio source. Souind is an important part of the outdoor experience as well. Good luck
smithmr likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTide2011 View Post
Here is my 2 cents, Outdoor theater is more of a social event than sitting in a indoor theater. There will be more movement and talking as well as cooking/eating possibly of other thing such as a firepit going, so spending a fortune on a projector, since light conditions will vary from dusk to twilight will vary and are noncontrolable, is pointless. Size of the screen is much more important than image quality once you reach certian point. Brightness or lumuns is also a very important factor. One of the most important aspects of outdoor viewing is sound you havent addressed that in your questions.
I like the Camp Chef products for their portablity and you have front or rear projection as an option, I have the OS144.
I use a business class projector Epson EX6220 WXGA resolution which in my opinion looks great on the outdoor screen.I also use this projector at work for presentations so that was part of my reasoning in projector choice.
For sound i use a Yamaha RX-V671 7.1ch and generally i'll do 5.1ch with a powered sub.
would you consider this projector as garbage?

Pyle Home PRJLE22 High-Definition 1080p LED Widescreen Projector ($210)

Contrast: 800:1 - Screen Size: 32 - 100 Inches - Signal System: Supporting International System
Manual Focus Lens - Projection Lighting Source - Supports International Signal Systems & Languages
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 or 4:3 - Display Source: 7-Inch Single Lighting Panel - Output Resolution: 800 x 480, Maximum Support 1080p
Illumination Level: 1800 Lumen - Working Voltage: AC 110V-220V 50/60HZ - Dimensions: 17.16 x 11.25 x 4.92 Inches
Interface: AV(RCA), HDMI, VGA - Built-in Speaker & Earphone Audio Output
post #6 of 7 Old 06-29-2014, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If you don't mind someone else's opinion on the Pyle projector - stay away from it. It is nothing more than a toy. Don't be afraid of looking at used on craigslist, there are some great deals to be had. I just did a quick search on Adhuntr (search all of craigslist) There are three or 4 Optoma HD66s (3D, 720p, 2500 lumens, 4000:1) listed between $300-$400. The are also some Epson 705HDs (not 3D, but 720p, 2500 lumens,3000:1) in the same range. I bought my HD66 from a guy in Illinois, $350 shipped with a new lamp in it. I got my indoor projector (Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 720 (720p, 1600 lumens, 6000:1) for $250 out of Dallas. I just got a Panasonic PT-F300U from Ebay for $235 shipped. This is a 4000 lumen, 600:1 XGA (not 720p , but on the outdoor screen you can't tell) with 2200 hours on a 5000 hour bulb. This is a beast of an outdoor projector. It is bright, well built, has wireless networking capability. It's my new toy. Whatever you get, buy a quality brand name. The projector is the heart of the system, you don't want to skimp on it.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2014, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I would pass myself, but each to his own, I think of low quality when I hear Pyle. I would follow the advice you are receiving from everyone who has replied.
Reply Outdoor Theaters
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page