BluRay suggestion for use with Optoma EP719 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-2014, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
BluRay suggestion for use with Optoma EP719

We have an outdoor theater setup that we've used for a few years. It's pretty basic, but works. Since we only use it 2-3 times per year and I forget the setup, it seems to be a panic trial and error experience with anxious guests every time. Once up and running, life is good. We don't need fancy or HD or 3D or Netflix or internet, etc, we just need to stick a movie in the blueray player inside the house and run the movie on the screen outside.

The projector we're using is a Optoma EP719 DLP and we're using the RCA connections.. It's older, but works for us. The screen is a large blowup that sits about 20 feet away. I have a newer TV (inside the house) with an assortment of output options. We've run an RCA cable from inside the house to a access box outside under the deck - so this feeds to the projector (which is outside) . The sound runs through an older stereo amp (that sits outside by the projector) and mounted outdoor speakers (yes, this actually works pretty good for ample sound). I need to replace my dvd player so am looking at a bluray player, but it has to have the right connections. I've had no help from clerks at the big box store and WM/Target has high schoolers in the electronics department.

This is my map (I think):

TV to DVD/BluRay (inside) to Projector (outside) via mounted RCA cables (yellow)

TV to DVD/BluRay (inside) to Stereo Amp (outside) via mounted RCA cables (red/white) to outside speakers.

I looked at the Samsung 5100 and 5700 today. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for on the backside of the bluray, but it looked like the 5700 might have the right plug ins in the back, but not the 5100.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other BluRay players - that are on the lower cost end but have the right stuff?

Thanks for your help.

Does anyone

I
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-05-2014, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Waters View Post
We have an outdoor theater setup that we've used for a few years. It's pretty basic, but works. Since we only use it 2-3 times per year and I forget the setup, it seems to be a panic trial and error experience with anxious guests every time. Once up and running, life is good. We don't need fancy or HD or 3D or Netflix or internet, etc, we just need to stick a movie in the blueray player inside the house and run the movie on the screen outside.

The projector we're using is a Optoma EP719 DLP and we're using the RCA connections.. It's older, but works for us. The screen is a large blowup that sits about 20 feet away. I have a newer TV (inside the house) with an assortment of output options. We've run an RCA cable from inside the house to a access box outside under the deck - so this feeds to the projector (which is outside) . The sound runs through an older stereo amp (that sits outside by the projector) and mounted outdoor speakers (yes, this actually works pretty good for ample sound). I need to replace my dvd player so am looking at a bluray player, but it has to have the right connections. I've had no help from clerks at the big box store and WM/Target has high schoolers in the electronics department.

This is my map (I think):

TV to DVD/BluRay (inside) to Projector (outside) via mounted RCA cables (yellow)

TV to DVD/BluRay (inside) to Stereo Amp (outside) via mounted RCA cables (red/white) to outside speakers.

I looked at the Samsung 5100 and 5700 today. I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for on the backside of the bluray, but it looked like the 5700 might have the right plug ins in the back, but not the 5100.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other BluRay players - that are on the lower cost end but have the right stuff?

Thanks for your help.

Does anyone

I
Well there is a flaw in your logic about not needing HD because BluRay is HD and most if not all BluRay players are going to try and enhance SD videos to a HD format this is going to result in some much smaller letter box pictures than you are getting with your DVD player when using your current setup.

Last edited by RollTide2011; 07-05-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added info
post #3 of 4 Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are you really just using the composite output cable for your projector (that's the yellow one). I reckon most bluray players will have that connection available. The thing that I had trouble finding are component video output cables, and analog audio -I bought my audio equipment right before HDMI existed and my TV in the main room still uses DVI (and not even the copy protected one). So THAT was a challenge.

I'd just go to a store and start flipping display units around until you find the connections you need. It's getting harder every year.

Well, it's life, Jim, but not as we know it, not as we know it, not as we know it
post #4 of 4 Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From doing a search of players over at blu-ray.com, it looks like 2012 was likely the last year for the mass market players to support composite video out and 2 channel audio out. I'm not sure how complete the database on the site is but it only showed 4 U.S. models released after 2012 that meet your criteria on it:
Sony BDP-S390 and BDP-S590; Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and DMP-BDT320. Prior to 2011, it appears it was more common. So you might need to look at the used market.
Reply Outdoor Theaters
Gear in this thread - EP719 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page