Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Backyard Firepit Theater

Good Evening folks,

We just finished up a pretty big outdoor renovation, when I thought, why didn't I plan for an outdoor screen?!? It would have been nice to incorporate it better, but I think its still manageable. Let me know what you guys think of my plan.

Placement: Exterior wall of home, ~19w x 8t (really ~11 ft tall but plants will take up about 3 ft) surrounded by 20x15 stone patio with firepit, 3 feet from the house on one side, grassy backyard on the other.

Screen Size: I was thinking the 165" diagonal carlofet DIY screen and being able to hook it underneath the eve of the roof line, screen size would be about 12w & 7t so the height should fit my opening.

Projector: BenQ 1080ST. I like the versatility of the short throw, and its well reviewed. It'll be my first projector but I feel like you typically want the projector in front of seating right? If so, I'll definitely need the ST.

Audio/Video Feed: Right now I have 2 outdoor speakers feeding off my main receiver. Those speakers have the option of playing the same audio feed that the 5.1 system is playing inside, so I was thinking about getting an hdmi splitter/switch and then running a longgg HDMI feed outside whenever needed. This would probably require a 75+ run, is that a problem? Long term solution would be to run underneath house, but I want to make sure I like it first.

Here's a few pictures of what I'm working with. Dimensions: potential screen area ~19x8, Patio ~20 x15.

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
Polk Monitor 75T Speakers
Polk RC85i In-wall Speakers
Polk PSW505 12" Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The 1080st should work well. A 12’ wide image should require about 8-9’ of throw. I’d probably look at HDMI over Cat5e (or 6) for that kind of run. Or maybe even wireless HDMI, though it will be a little more expensive.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-09-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the response Paul. 1080ST would be ideal for the close range, but at 2000 lumens, is that bright enough? The other projector I was looking at for the same price is the Optoma HD25-LV, which is 3200 lumens. Granted I would have to move the projector further back, but if it'd make watching those afternoon Hokie games possible (area gets afternoon shade) then it might be worth it.

In everyone else's set-up, where is the seating in relation to the projector?

Sony 55NX810
Yamaha RX-V675 7.2
PS4 & PS3
Polk Monitor 75T Speakers
Polk RC85i In-wall Speakers
Polk PSW505 12" Subwoofer
post #4 of 5 Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Optoma has a 2x color wheel with a clear (white) segment which exaggerates the lumen rating (and makes it much more likely that you’ll see the rainbow effect). The measured lumen ratings I’ve seen for it are in the 2300 range. At twice the throw distance, you probably won’t see a big difference in image brightness.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-19-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i was debating between benq, optoma, and epson and decided with an epson 2030 to avoid any possible rainbow effect of DLP. some see it, some don't. but at 165", the closest you could place it would be 14'-7".

as far as the HDMI cable. i would get a 22awg HDMI cable and put 8" port savers on each end. get them from monoprice.

the 22awg is pretty thick and not flexible, but it will have the least signal loss over the run, they 8" port savers are flexible and allow you to connect easier into the projector and source. links below.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

Current Phase of HT Room: Under Construction...
Reply Outdoor Theaters

Tags
backyard , firepit , outdoor , patio , theater

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page