feedback wanted on my outdoor setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Lisn2me

post #1 of 10 Old 09-28-2016, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
feedback wanted on my outdoor setup

Looking to build a outdoor screen and set up for casual use (pool parties, watching football etc) here is what I am thinking and would like some feedback and suggestions, this is my first system build of this sort.

The plan is to hang the screen on a PVC built frame and then hang that on my Screened in pool enclosure. I have about 19 feet from the screen to the covered lanai but can move it back further if needed. with this I was thinking about a 165" screen
I will run the projector from my Plex server using my receiver and HDMI
Speakers are TBD just yet.

Now for the equipment There are some good deals for the Optoma HD27 on Amazon will this unit work for the above set up? (I am also thinking about using this for Halloween and Christmas projection)
For the screen I was looking at Carls Flexi grey but at $199 that may be cost prohibitive at this time are there other options I should look at? Moving down to 140" reduces cost significantly but I may have remorse with doing that)

anything else I need to think about?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 123
How much work/manual labor are you willing to do?

Lots of outdoor theater enthusiasts are hard core DIYers, and build their screens from billiard vinyl. That material is inexpensive, weather and UV resistant, and would work great in your situation.

I would consider using EMT pipe and the carl's fitting (4 of the 90 degree corner pieces) to have a sturdier screen.

One posible gottcha, is your enclosed pool area darkened/light controlled?
When you mention pool parties and football, I'm seeing daylight activities. No projector can compete with the sun.

This link documents the process one outdoor theater guy did to build his screen
http://www.hyltoplex.com/buildstory/
post #3 of 10 Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Darknite,

I am up for DIY for sure.

As for light control, none but these would be Dusk to After dark activities I do have a TV on the Lanai for Daytime watching but the games I watch mostly are on the west coast while I am east coast to typical start times are 7 to 9pm #PAC12AFTERDARK. Even that will be far and few between. I do think most of concern will be through the summer, time we will have to be much later but that is not an issue, Spring and fall I am thinking I can start around 7/730 and totally dark by 8pm (Maybe)

I looked over the link provided and it gives me a lot of ideas, If I go with the Billboard vinyl I would want to boarder it and grommet the sides so I need to think about that compared to the ease of buying premade, and will go with EMT tube and the Carls fittings

post #4 of 10 Old 09-29-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisn2me View Post
Thanks Darknite,

I am up for DIY for sure.

As for light control, none but these would be Dusk to After dark activities I do have a TV on the Lanai for Daytime watching but the games I watch mostly are on the west coast while I am east coast to typical start times are 7 to 9pm #PAC12AFTERDARK. Even that will be far and few between. I do think most of concern will be through the summer, time we will have to be much later but that is not an issue, Spring and fall I am thinking I can start around 7/730 and totally dark by 8pm (Maybe)

I looked over the link provided and it gives me a lot of ideas, If I go with the Billboard vinyl I would want to boarder it and grommet the sides so I need to think about that compared to the ease of buying premade, and will go with EMT tube and the Carls fittings

7:30 or earlier start time in the fall, easy to do for sure!

You are right about the grommets. When building my screen I added 3 inches on each side to the finished size. Folded over a three inch border al the way around, held with solvent based contact cement. To make holes for the grommets, I drilled with a step bit http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece...lls-91616.html

For more build info, check out backyard theater.com. They have some great stuff.

I'm really sold on the billboard vinyl, even with the extra work, because its so durable.

Please keep posting, I'd love to see your finish setup
post #5 of 10 Old 09-30-2016, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

well looks like I am on my way

Ordered a
PJ Optoma HD142x
14x16' billboard material, I ended up going with new as the price wasn't much different and the size worked better for me to build 2 screens, one 165" and one 120"
Carls connectors

Still need to get
grommets
contact cement
bungees
and Conduit

Then I will need to create a mounting system to the screen framing around the pool I am thinking to duplicate the wire tensioner system the pool already uses and tap in 4 Eye bolts on the pool enclosure frames and connect to the corner brackets of the screen frame.. that should hold it plenty tight.

I'll keep updating this as I go along
post #6 of 10 Old 02-05-2017, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Several months later I was able to finish the project and screened a couple of movies last night for some neighbors, Wow that was fun.

Guess I need to get 5 posts to attach pictures. more to come
post #7 of 10 Old 02-05-2017, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Now that the 5 posts are out of the way.

Screen is 165" using Carls connector kit. for mounting I went with something very simple. I ended up using these PVC straps from HD/LOWES PVC Strap. These really worked great and had no trouble holding the frame very securely. I am not going to leave these attached when I take the screen down so I drilled holes and installed heavy duty plastic toggle dry wall anchors Anchors. I can leave the Anchors in without having to leave any metal screws in.

Here is how it ended up.

The straps to the pool screen frame

I was able to re-purpose the shelf I use for my cable box to hold the projector, but I had to zoom out as far as I could both with the manual zoom and the zoom settings.. Not ideal but works well if we need all the deck space for guests..

a couple of things I need to change and or modify.
1) with the new billboard material I could see hot spots as well as being able to see the "lines" on the surface in spots of the movie, enough where it was distracting me. Guest did not seam to mind but I really saw it. I read somewhere here that paint could be applied to the surface so I will have to research that, not sure paint will hold up to rolling the screen up and storing it though..
2) The center crossbar of the frame creates a significant line right in the middle of the screen. I think this made the hot spots more pronounced as you move side to side and cross the center of the screen the hot spot would switch sides of the center line. The painting solution may make that less of an issue, but defiantly would like to see another solution for crossbar support on the larger screens.
3) The little block rocker speaker is not going to cut it, time to look for a better audio set up!!!

This things was so much fun everyone can not wait until the next movie.
Hookedonc4 and darknite9099 like this.
post #8 of 10 Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:

Screen is 165" using Carls connector kit. for mounting I went with something very simple. I ended up using these PVC straps from HD/LOWES PVC Strap. These really worked great and had no trouble holding the frame very securely. I am not going to leave these attached when I take the screen down so I drilled holes and installed heavy duty plastic toggle dry wall anchors Anchors. I can leave the Anchors in without having to leave any metal screws in.

Here is how it ended up.

I was able to re-purpose the shelf I use for my cable box to hold the projector, but I had to zoom out as far as I could both with the manual zoom and the zoom settings.. Not ideal but works well if we need all the deck space for guests..

1) with the new billboard material I could see hot spots as well as being able to see the "lines" on the surface in spots of the movie, enough where it was distracting me. Guest did not seam to mind but I really saw it. I read somewhere here that paint could be applied to the surface so I will have to research that, not sure paint will hold up to rolling the screen up and storing it though..
2) The center crossbar of the frame creates a significant line right in the middle of the screen. I think this made the hot spots more pronounced as you move side to side and cross the center of the screen the hot spot would switch sides of the center line. The painting solution may make that less of an issue, but defiantly would like to see another solution for crossbar support on the larger screens.
3) The little block rocker speaker is not going to cut it, time to look for a better audio set up!!!

When and what is the next movie?
I'm envious you can start this early... :-)
Do you live where its warm, or does the pool enclosure hold heat really well?
Sweet setup, not surprised everyone loves it.
post #9 of 10 Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 PM

What are you looking at for a sound system?
post #10 of 10 Old 03-23-2017, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:

Here is how it ended up.

great work !! I really like the attention to detail !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page